• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not to the Amish. In the United States they are protected by the 1st Amendment to worship the way they do and believe the way they do.
    I didn't mean it as a dig, Amish are all over Northern St Marys co MD.
    But even as a kid on my family's farm in so md I knew it was hypocritical to say we live with no modern luxury and one has a diesel air compressor in the barn to run a air driven well pump and shop tools. And a phone booth 100 yds away at the end of the driveway.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I didn't mean it as a dig, Amish are all over Northern St Marys co MD.
    But even as a kid on my family's farm in so md I knew it was hypocritical to say we live with no modern luxury and one has a diesel air compressor in the barn to run a air driven well pump and shop tools. And a phone booth 100 yds away at the end of the driveway.
    I don't understand that as well. But it means something to them.
    I know several I may ask about that if I think about it next time I see them. I do business with several Amish. I know many if them, and I think they would be glad to explain it to me.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I had the Amish build my pole barn about twenty years ago. At the time, it was a sin for them to have gas grills. Then, one day their grand poobah decided it was OK to have one, and they all ran to Lowe’s after work to buy one

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Smart phone, computer, or not. NO ONE should be required to have, use, access technology to comply with the law. ESPECIALLY when the law is unconstitutional. Billions of dollars of Bureaucrats sucking down serious paychecks, and they want to require me to use technology I have to buy to interface with their computer to do their job?

Jump in the lake.

It is not a technology question, it is a civil right offense.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have mingled with Amish and every variation for about 70 years.Much has changed. The bishop still sets the particular rules for a district which is why rules vary. In our area all the Amish have cell phones. Not each person but each household has 1. If carried it is the husband but never the wife. Some Amish businessmen I know have had them since the 90’s.

Most have solar panels along with more modern conveniences than most people realize. They power LED lights, garage door openers, wells, appliances, electric fence chargers, and on and on. Often newly built homes except for a small barn and horse appear no different than English homes. Many districts allow a couple buying an existing home already with electricity to keep it for a specified amount of time. In 2019 I sold my childhood farm house home to a young couple. They kept the electricity, window air conditioners, freezer, frig, etc. for at least a year ( last time I was inside ). Many ( especially younger ) drink alcohol, smoke, go to a lot of better restaurants, etc. In Elkhart Co. they can buy 3 acres and keep a horse. Most men work in manufacturing jobs ( RV common ). No need to farm or buy more than 3 acres. Go to work at 4 AM, home at noon 5 days a week, buy hay/feed for horse, nothing else to do, and make close to 6 figures.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Our local area has a number of young black Amish. Young unmarried girls/ladies go to work at RV plant. Some end up pregnant. Number of those babies are black. I do not personally know any that remain Amish as adults

Top Bottom