• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I really don't get this fear of having guns in school.

I don't either and I 100% agree with you...

I graduated high school in 1991 and I remember my Analytic Geometry teacher having a loaded S&W revolver in it's holster sitting on the left-hand corner of his desk pretty much all day long. Our Chemistry/Biology teacher had a loaded shotgun leaned up again the front corner of the blackboard behind his desk.

No one freaked out, no one had ANY problems with it.... WTF happened????

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't either and I 100% agree with you...

I graduated high school in 1991 and I remember my Analytic Geometry teacher having a loaded S&W revolver in it's holster sitting on the left-hand corner of his desk pretty much all day long. Our Chemistry/Biology teacher had a loaded shotgun leaned up again the front corner of the blackboard behind his desk.

No one freaked out, no one had ANY problems with it.... WTF happened????

I never saw that and I graduated in 1979. I do remember the proverbial gun racks in pickup trucks and people had guns in them, especially during hunting season.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    It is conditioning - Since the "ban" went into effect 25 yrs ago - a lot of people - especially "city folks" who never saw this stuff (guns at school) - or didn't pay attention -

are conditioned and convinced to think it is and can only be bad. It is part of why - open carry is good. - if we ONLY EVER conceal - no one realizes that "normal folks" actually do carry guns.
    and we become conditioned to what we only see on TV. - which is also a lot of garbage.

Just a quick thought.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I never saw that and I graduated in 1979. I do remember the proverbial gun racks in pickup trucks and people had guns in them, especially during hunting season.
    The parking lots had pickups, the pickups had gun racks and the gun racks had guns. Class of 82 was a while ago, not just in terms of time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    SB 33 - was amended on 2nd reading - Amendment by Senator Sandlin

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/senate/33#document-b5b9bea1

I haven't pieced this together yet. - Perhaps someone can - 3rd reading will be SOON - today - tomorrow at the latest and most likely.

the first period of the session is at its end.

Thanks for the news, Bill. By my reading, it looks like they took that poison pill of getting permission first or you're still a felon. Unless you know you are prohibited or have good reason to know (eg a sign or established policy) you can carry a gun and not be a felon.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks for the news, Bill. By my reading, it looks like they took that poison pill of getting permission first or you're still a felon. Unless you know you are prohibited or have good reason to know (eg a sign or established policy) you can carry a gun and not be a felon.

I wasn't gonna but I took a second and read thru piece by piece - looks like that's it exactly. much better again.

now to get it through the senate. (should be a no-brainer for the non-obtuse)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've reviewed the "current" version of SB 33 passed with Amendment 1 (as described by GFGT) and this moves the ball down the field. The madness of last week's amendment (ask Bob for permission, not Paul) is outta there. New version goes out of it's way to say a property owner or manager doesn't lose any rights, but this is what we were looking for from SB 33.

Authors are now Jack Sandlin, Jim Tomes and John Crane.

Hoosier Carry goes off the deep end in 5, 4, 3...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I finally got around listening to Guy's last show today. He played a clip of that one rep asking him about this bill and was worried about how this would interfere with freedom of religion. While I'm cheered by seeing a democrat concerned about freedom of the exercise of religion for once, his reading comprehension must be on a 3rd grade level based on the questions he was asking Guy.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I finally got around listening to Guy's last show today. He played a clip of that one rep asking him about this bill and was worried about how this would interfere with freedom of religion. While I'm cheered by seeing a democrat concerned about freedom of the exercise of religion for once, his reading comprehension must be on a 3rd grade level based on the questions he was asking Guy.

Sadly - Senator Greg Taylor is a Graduate of IU Maurer (96 or 98) and in addition to all that "practice" for 20 yr - he has 10 yrs in as a State Senator. ... So he was being intentionally difficult - IMO. Obtuse. I'll leave the other adjectives to your imagination.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sadly - Senator Greg Taylor is a Graduate of IU Maurer (96 or 98) and in addition to all that "practice" for 20 yr - he has 10 yrs in as a State Senator. ... So he was being intentionally difficult - IMO. Obtuse. I'll leave the other adjectives to your imagination.

Willful...Willful-something-something-hole.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Glad the amendment he muscled through in the first reading got removed. He sat there acting the fool pushing for the amendment to make him and the gent to his right more comfortable due to their objections, and yet they STILL both voted no on the bill even though it was amended to (supposedly) mitigate their concerns.

Just thinking about that makes me want to slap them both upside the head with a king salmon.

https://media.giphy.com/media/7x89P3dpXtqhi/giphy.gif
    (wait for it)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    SB 33 has moved forward to the house already this morning. (today is the last day of the First "half")

SB 33 02-06-2018 Senate Cosponsors: Representatives Torr, Smith, M. and Bacon
    SB 33 02-06-2018 Senate House sponsor: Representative Speedy
    SB 33 02-06-2018 Senate Third reading: passed

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Oh, the same place that employees Jody Mediera. I'm seeing a trend here.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 33 gains back some of the ground we lost over the years (with latest amendment, thankfully.) Its picked up co-sponsors in the House and should be law shorty after it hits the Governor's desk (emergency/law as soon as signed, not 1 July.) One more hill to take...

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Do we know when the House votes? And from there how long until Governor signs?

we have 3 weeks for a committee hearing (most likely Public Policy) after that it, pending amendments and approval
    it goes to the State House Floor for 2nd Hearing (amendments on the floor) .. then 3rd reading for approval of the bill ...

If approved without further amendment - it goes to the governor - to be signed or vetoed.

if amended - it goes to the senate for approval - OR it goes to conference committee.
    Conf Committee is a small joint house / senate committee- then back to both houses for final vote ...

3rd reading is required by March 5; Conf committees and Sine Die of the IGA have until March 14.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    we have 3 weeks for a committee hearing (most likely Public Policy) after that it, pending amendments and approval
    it goes to the State House Floor for 2nd Hearing (amendments on the floor) .. then 3rd reading for approval of the bill ...

If approved without further amendment - it goes to the governor - to be signed or vetoed.

if amended - it goes to the senate for approval - OR it goes to conference committee.
    Conf Committee is a small joint house / senate committee- then back to both houses for final vote ...

3rd reading is required by March 5; Conf committees and Sine Die of the IGA have until March 14.
    Please post up if you find out when the committee hearings will be, I am going to try to come up and testify at the committee and the floor if it will do any good.

Top Bottom