• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    So my wife and I are planning on buying a new home within the next year or so. We both have our "requirements" but her list is substantially longer than mine.

My MAIN requirement is that I am able to walk out in my yard and spend the day target shooting .22 caliber rifles with my friends. I wouldn't mind shooting the larger calibers but the minimum requirement is a .22.

So, what is the etiquette regarding potential neighbors? I think, once we find a home we both love, it would be courteous to introduce myself to my neighbors and advise them of my intentions and find if there is a certain time of day they would be in bed till.

My concern is that I will discover that my neighbors are anti gun communists. This wouldn't deter my wife but I would absolutely refuse to live next to people who hate America which means the wife and I would not be getting along until we found another home.

So what suggestions do my fellow INGO brothers/sisters have to say?

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Guess it depends on local laws too.

Unless you're out in the country, I doubt you can discharge a firearm in most cities.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    I would start shooting 30-06 out of your back door. If the neighbors start complaining, then compromise with them on 22lr.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If it were me, I'd want as big a piece of land I could afford with as sparse a neighborhood as possible. The further away your neighbors are and the fewer there are, the less likely there are to be problems--not guaranteed of course--it only takes one to make your life miserable.

You might also consider property with natural backstops, maybe a valley where the bullets will naturally be contained.

I'm pretty lucky. I've got people around me that shoot from time to time. Plus I live almost exactly between the Mitchell Sportsman Club and Sugar Creek, so on any given day, there's gun fire around me. Since ammo has gotten so rare and expensive (plus the cold weather) I'm not shooting as much as I used to. But when I do, I try to be a good neighbor. That is, I try to avoid prolonged periods of fire and I shoot at "reasonable" times of the day.

Good luck to you. This is an exciting time, I know.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    So my wife and I are planning on buying a new home within the next year or so. We both have our "requirements" but her list is substantially longer than mine.

My MAIN requirement is that I am able to walk out in my yard and spend the day target shooting .22 caliber rifles with my friends. I wouldn't mind shooting the larger calibers but the minimum requirement is a .22.

So, what is the etiquette regarding potential neighbors? I think, once we find a home we both love, it would be courteous to introduce myself to my neighbors and advise them of my intentions and find if there is a certain time of day they would be in bed till.

My concern is that I will discover that my neighbors are anti gun communists. This wouldn't deter my wife but I would absolutely refuse to live next to people who hate America which means the wife and I would not be getting along until we found another home.

So what suggestions do my fellow INGO brothers/sisters have to say?

I'm going to guess if your moving out of city limits and most likely will be around farm land, you'll be fine.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Move out in the middle of nowhere, and buy 1 sq. mile of land, and PLANT a LOT of TREES ..... :laugh:

You made the above statement somewhat in fun I'm sure, but it really is the best advice. Out in the rural country areas is really the only place you can do as you please and the neighbors don't care. Mostly cause the neighbors are a 1/4 mile down the road :D
    I have never lived in the city and have no desire to. If I want to take in all the amenities that city life has to offer, I'll hop in the truck and drive there.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Number one, get out in the rural area. My wife and I did that 25 years ago. Wouldn't move back into the urban area for anything. Try and find property that is zoned rural/agricultural. Also, make sure you don't have neighbors directly behind or beside the property due to the carry distance of larger calibers. Then just have fun.:ar15:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Guess it depends on local laws too.

Unless you're out in the country, I doubt you can discharge a firearm in most cities.

Living in the country is a must. This has actually been an item we have both had to compromise on. If it were up to me, we would be buying 100 acres in southern Indiana. You wouldn't be gaining access to my huse without a 4x4. My wife wants to live in a loft apartment above Walmart.

I have temporarily given up on my dream of secluded living while she knows she will have to drive to shop.

The problem is that we have looked at 2 homes now and neighbors are a concern. The first one had 4 acres (almost 5) and had a nice little area to set up a 100 and a 150 yard range. The second home was on an acre but had an area to set up possibly a 100 yard range. They were both open to the rear and had old creeks that have eroded away the bank forming a natural backstop. Both had these natural backstops that we're at least 10'.

The problem is that each one had a neighbor that I could throw a rock and hit their house.

Move out in the middle of nowhere, and buy 1 sq. mile of land, and PLANT a LOT of TREES ..... :laugh:

I would rather just move into the middle of nowhere that happens to be in the middle of a forest. :D

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    When I lived in the country, I invited the neighbors over to shoot. We'd have ten or 12 people plinking with 22's. We shot into a field with a natural rise. Also it was clear for a mile behind the rise.It was great.:):

Only problem was I got remarried to a city girl. Love her, but do I miss the country.:(

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    When I lived in the country, I invited the neighbors over to shoot. We'd have ten or 12 people plinking with 22's. We shot into a field with a natural rise. Also it was clear for a mile behind the rise.It was great.:):

Only problem was I got remarried to a city girl. Love her, but do I miss the country.:(

This is my problem as well but she is about to become a country girl. :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My back yard.
    d3eaad86.jpg

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    As I understand it, IN law says you may not discharge a firearm within city limits. Except for self defense of course. So if that does not apply to you after that you are responsible for any projectile that leaves your property.

Regarding your neighbors, I guess the only way to find out it talk to them before you buy, it really matters to you what they think.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    :yesway: to this thread, good luck in your search.

Wife and I have been shopping for some land for a couple months now. It has been a little more difficult to find the "right" spot than I thought it would.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    :yesway: to this thread, good luck in your search.

Wife and I have been shopping for some land for a couple months now. It has been a little more difficult to find the "right" spot than I thought it would.

Isn't that the truth. I search for property EVERY day and it is just not there. It could be my budget too..... I found a home just south of Richmond with almost 50 acres. It's 1.8 million and the house belongs on south beach with a cocaine sniffing Cuban named Tony Montana living in it.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    you might want to check your math again but with that 1 acre lot there is NO WAY you will get 100 yard range out of it (if its square). You need 300 feet to get 100 yards (and that would be from the road to the very back edge. and a square acre is only 208 ft.

regardless.....buy more land now because you can always upgrade the house later. I live out in the sticks and i have a neighbor who is a NRA pistol instructor and other guys around me that shoot (and of course i shoot alot). I have never had any problems with even my non shooting neighbors. Even had a cop visiting a neighbor (they are frineds)who lives next door (maybe 300 feet from me) and i was testing some new loads for my AR. I walked out the back door and stood on my porch and ripped off 20 rounds. Picked up my brass and went back in ....no big deal.

I wont shoot at night time (of course) and i try to make sure i wait until 9-10 am to shoot also. but most of the places i shoot the neighbors wouldnt hear it anyway unless they were outside listening.

Top Bottom