• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    what kind of hair splitting or joke making are you looking at?
    I mean YES it is LEGAL.

(For YOU even)

Just looking for clarity in the answer. I realize it is legal to carry a loaded long gun while hunting, etc. But I did not know if there was a restriction imposed on carrying a loaded longarm in public areas (downtown square, street corner, etc). If there is a law prohibiting it I'd be curious to read it. And as our carry permits ONLY seem to apply to HANDGUNS and not other weapons, using a LTCH as our authority to carry an AR15 (openly or concealed) wouldn't seem to stand up to legal scrutiny. So if our LTCH does not give us the authority, then what does? If it is an absence of a law that insures our rights, I'm fine with that, but I simply want to confirm that there is an absence of law on this issue.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What works well (from current media examples):

1. Well dressed.
    2. Calm.
    3. Articulate.
    4. Personable.

What does not (from other examples):

1. Not so well dressed.
    2. Excitable.
    3. Furblunged (Yiddish for all tonguetied and confused under stress).
    4. Irritable with jerk reporters.

If you want to do this, you need some people with the first set of attributes, but because this is the internet all you know is how well someone can use the spell checker and how articulate they can be in their living room.

How are you going to find and then select for success?

(Question sent from gun owner closet #3384b :laugh: )

But seriously, how will you select?

There is no selecting. There is "Follow the rules or you will be asked to leave". For the first outting like this, we have to be spot on the first time or risk failure. But to go through the forum selecting people would be a huge mistake. So far, the two people I know for sure that would do this, I've met in person and feel fairly confident in their ability to act like adults.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just looking for clarity in the answer. I realize it is legal to carry a loaded long gun while hunting, etc. But I did not know if there was a restriction imposed on carrying a loaded longarm in public areas (downtown square, street corner, etc). If there is a law prohibiting it I'd be curious to read it. And as our carry permits ONLY seem to apply to HANDGUNS and not other weapons, using a LTCH as our authority to carry an AR15 (openly or concealed) wouldn't seem to stand up to legal scrutiny. So if our LTCH does not give us the authority, then what does? If it is an absence of a law that insures our rights, I'm fine with that, but I simply want to confirm that there is an absence of law on this issue.

You would have to look up local STATUTE for the area this would be held at.

Like here in Plainfield, I'm not suppose to carry in town parks or on the Greenways(walking trails). Thats something I found out when I considered doing this myself here in my own town and decided to walk down US40 instead.

I'm not sure Indy's restrictions yet so whatever it says in their city statutes. Or whatever city we decide to do this in.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So if our LTCH does not give us the authority, then what does?

There is a law restricting the carry of handguns. The LTCH provides an exception to that law.

In the absence of law restricting carry of a long gun, no exception is needed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So now, Indiana State law shows it's legal to do so. Now we need to pick a city or town. I'm thinking Indy, but maybe a suburb would be better. Here in Plainfield, the only ordinance against carrying firearms is a blanket no-no for carry in parks and trails unless you're a LEO. I'm going to the Town Council Meeting on Monday to talk about changing this.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    wait a second. Did I miss the link/text where the law says it's legal to carry guns at an event on property in Indiana during the day by people for a reason that does not have to be enumerated loaded or not?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    What works well (from current media examples):

1. Well dressed.
    2. Calm.
    3. Articulate.
    4. Personable.

What does not (from other examples):

1. Not so well dressed.
    2. Excitable.
    3. Furblunged (Yiddish for all tonguetied and confused under stress).
    4. Irritable with jerk reporters.

If you want to do this, you need some people with the first set of attributes, but because this is the internet all you know is how well someone can use the spell checker and how articulate they can be in their living room.

How are you going to find and then select for success?

(Question sent from gun owner closet #3384b :laugh: )

But seriously, how will you select?

There is no selecting. There is "Follow the rules or you will be asked to leave". For the first outting like this, we have to be spot on the first time or risk failure. But to go through the forum selecting people would be a huge mistake. So far, the two people I know for sure that would do this, I've met in person and feel fairly confident in their ability to act like adults.

Yeah, I don't think we should all be well dressed, as gun ownership is for ALL citizens, whether you're an office manager with a business suit, or a plumber with a crack :)...we should show that no matter how you are dressed, you can be a responsible gun owner and follow the law. By stating we should all be well dressed is somewhat controlling our right to carry, as if you only wear a t-shirt and jeans, you're not good enough to carry a firearm...please. The media will twist things as they may, but if we follow the law, I don't see what the problem is with however you want to dress.:twocents:

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    what kills me is that all the gun control advocates they interviewed with the article all called for how dangerous it was, and how he was silencing "free speech" (honest conversation is the term i think was used). It amazes me how far these nut jobs will go to make the uneducated public believe that there was a crime committed when the man was well within his right.

Kudos to the guy for having the balls to exercise his rights!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This is all kinds of good.

I keep thinking that this is helping gun rights, opening the door on public acceptance and understanding of OC.

If I had an OWB holster I'd be in for some group OCing. I can dress up nice. I am not a smooth talker though, and would probably keep my mouth shut.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There's a poll on the Arizona paper website, on the right, down the page. it needs our help.
    Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Breaking News - azcentral.com

Do you think the people bringing guns to political events such as President Obama’s speech in Phoenix on Monday are acting appropriately?
    A.) Yes. They’re just exercising their Second Amendment rights.
    B.) No. It creates an environment of fear at these events.
    C.) Maybe. It depends on how much firepower they’re packing.

Do you think the people bringing guns to political events such as President Obama’s speech in Phoenix on Monday are acting appropriately?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    There's a poll on the Arizona paper website, on the right, down the page. it needs our help.
    Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Breaking News - azcentral.com

the question

59.27%

30.98%

9.76%

Total Votes: 410

Ok need some help here. Get out the vote !

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    you know what's funny, In Arizona you can open carry with no license. They just added a clause allowing open carry in bars. The first guy the media freaked over said that he left Arizona because it was too restrictive :)

Top Bottom