• ...and so much more!
  • HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    NO argument about the cost here.
    One of my teachers told us once that the school lunch foods actually had less nutrition than the food that they serve in prison. Now, I don't know that to be a fact, but then a few months ago, this same point was made to one of my children by his teacher.
    Personally, my opinion is that if I were in the medical field, I'd be LOVING the fact that I'll have all the Bostonian children as lifetime patients. I do believe that the correct term is JOB SECURITY.
    Pack a lunch! It's then all up to you to promote that nutrition.

Bogan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Yep, looking at this thread, seems like Galbraith got at least one thing right:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Say no more.

I believe selfishness would be dictating that my money will be spent to help people in a way suitable to someone else, even if I strongly oppose both public schools and the feeding of children by a public school.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My son won't eat the food (other than PBJ) at his school and he's not a picky eater for the most part.
    I send his lunch.
    We invented Fire growing up at my school and hunted for lunch after a 6 mile walk each way to and from. We carried 40lbs of books on our back just to get there. We were beat mercilessly IF we misspelled a word.
    But we were heathens as well. Ya know the type. Prayers, Pledge of Allegiance, and common courtesy. Glad those days are over.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of my teachers told us once that the school lunch foods actually had less nutrition than the food that they serve in prison. Now, I don't know that to be a fact, but then a few months ago, this same point was made to one of my children by his teacher.

Do you think perhaps the calorie requirements for a grown man and the calorie requirements for a child may be different? Do you think that this might explain how you could factually say it has less nutrition than meals served to adults in any setting, yet fail to accurately convey anything about the quality or healthiness of the food in question?

You can read the actual requirements for school lunches (and breakfasts) here, including calorie count, rotation of available entrees and sides, etc:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-01-26/pdf/2012-1010.pdf

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yep, looking at this thread, seems like Galbraith got at least one thing right:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Say no more.

Selfishness would be taking Other People's Money and deciding you know better what to do with it.
    Spending My Money or donating it is Not Selfish.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Do you think perhaps the calorie requirements for a grown man and the calorie requirements for a child may be different? Do you think that this might explain how you could factually say it has less nutrition than meals served to adults in any setting, yet fail to accurately convey anything about the quality or healthiness of the food in question?
    They should be. But according to this...
    Infographic: School Cafeteria Food vs. Prison Food | Health on GOOD
    They're not...

The 'educators' said it. I just regurgitated it. Like a good boy.
    What?s Healthier, Prison Food Or A School Lunch? [Infographic] - PSFK
    One thing will never change. What I make, and the misses, will ALWAYS be better than what they want to shove down your throat in a Federal Facility. Ever wondered why it's so easy to get free lunches? It's because they create a very profitable generation to the medical industry. That in it's own is a goldmine.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Guys, I'm not sure what the heck your schools are serving, but ours does a good job. First of all, our kitchen staff serves about 1200 lunches a day. They serve stuff that is good for the kids, including vegetables that are steamed, or cooked in a variety of ways, and they look fresh and colorful. On top of that, they taste good. They also serve fruit cups that have fruit as good as I can buy in any supermarket. The only thing they serve that is fried anymore are the French fries. Everything else, such as chicken patties, are baked. The menu has good variety, and the kids get at least three choices a day.

Here's the bad news: Parents haven't taught them to eat right. Guess who gets to do that? We do. Next thing you know, I'll be potty training them at 7th grade, because parents will quit doing that, too.

The good news: We've focused on teaching wellness, mainly in Health class, but also by setting an example and talking about it frequently. One of the ways we do this is that I, the other administrators, counselors, and teachers, engage them in conversation about it while we supervise lunch. We also eat the food, and they see that. (It is good, by the way. Imagine that.) More and more over the past few years, the kids are responding and eating the fruit and vegetables. They can't get soda pop, and most of the milk is skim, although flavored milk has 1% fat. We have carbonated fruit drinks that have no sugar added, and contain only the natural sugar in the fruit juice from which they are made. The optional chips are all baked and contain significantly less saturated fat than regular chips. For example, there are baked doritos. I personally don't like them, but the kids seem to like them a lot.

On top of all that, we get a random inspection every year from the Marion County Health Dept. They have received an A on every inspection, along with notes complimenting the cleanliness and practices to keep food safe. I know because I receive these reports, every time. I'd eat in our kitchen at school before I'd come and eat in most of yours, and I'd stack theirs up against ANY restaurant, even premium ones. We've not had one report or complaint of a kid getting sick on our food in the 11 years I've been there, thanks to our great staff and their strong procedures and practices.

I can't speak for your schools, but I'm betting you might not have been there in awhile. Then again, they may be still serving dog crap. On the other hand, where are you? Are you speaking up to change it for the bettter? Do you give a crap about the food the kids in your community eat, or even what they serve your kids, or do you sit at the keyboard speculating about how bad things are? Man, I don't know, but that kind of approach is what I saw in Liberals when I grew up. Sometimes there is a real challenge to tell the difference between some folks on the left and the right.

Our school is proof it can be done, and done well. Is it easy to do this? No. Is it expensive? Probably. Are our kids worth it? Absolutely. I travel to several different schools in the area each year, around Marion County, and a few outside, and I've not very often, in the last few years, found horrible food. Some are as good as ours, some are not quite there. Most are FAR better than what we grew up with and what has been described in this thread.

Here's the kicker. I overhear parents all the time making comments about school food at games and other events. They are folks that haven't been in a school cafeteria, especially ours, in years. I know because I'm in there every day, and I also ask them. I then invite them to come and eat lunch with their child and try it out. When they do, they are pleasantly surprised.

We do occasional Survey Monkey surveys with our kids, to get their thoughts on things. The percentage of kids that like the food we serve is above 90, every time. They like the food itself, but also the fact they get choices. (They only get two choices in the elementary schools)

Again, of all the things we can legitimately ***** about with wasteful government spending, and this is chosen. I'm amazed.

What about This? The GAO says the new USS Ford and JFK aircraft carriers is having costs go through the roof, in billions, because of the Navy's approach of putting all innovations scheduled to be introduced gradually through the class, in the first ship. Their negotiating tactics also put them at a huge disadvantage. The GAO made negotiating suggestions that would save billions. Doing this project well would pay for all the school lunch programs for years, and have lots left over to put toward the debt. I'm not a bleeder, either. I never said cancel the ships. I'm saying manage it well. It can be done. There's a million other examples, and you guys know about some of them, I'm sure.

The generalization that goes on around here about LEOs, schools, etc, are incredible.

By the way, I've visited private schools and charters. Lots of them. Maybe you are getting your school lunch impressions there. They are at least 10 years behind, and still have things that look like "Mystery meat." I've seen dirty floors, counter tops that are questionable, and dish/utensil washing machines that are dirty inside. Many are turning to contract with, guess who, for their food service? Their local public school. This is becoming more and more prevalent. They are also, more and more, contracting for Special Ed. Services to their local public schools. Hmmmmm.

Sorry for the rant, boys, but I can tell you how it comes across to see this stuff. Tell us what you do for a living, or the industry in which you work, and then we'll let some folks rant on stuff that you likely do very well. I know that there are always exceptions, but we speak in VERY general terms around here, often ignoring situations where things are done well.

I'm not looking for any affirmation or pats on the back here for anything. I get all the satisfaction I need from working hard and seeing my kids and parents do well and feel pleased with what we're doing. I also get satisfaction from working to correct situations where they are not happy.

As for charity being the best way to handle some things? That's great, and I'd recommend to keep giving. But don't assume that the money you send goes where you were told it would go. Fraud and waste are rampant in many programs, public and private. Best of all, it makes a great excuse to do nothing and give nothing. All I'm saying here, is that if you saw what we were doing, much of the criticism in this thread would be rendered impotent.

Sorry again for the rant, and I'm aware that my evidence is somewhat anecdotal. (But it appears less so that some of the other testimony here.) It just hit a nerve, because the staff I've got work REALLY HARD at doing it right.

Anyone want to start a thread on stupid expenses businesses can deduct from taxes, essentially having the rest of us fund things for wealthy, successful people? (Ok, before you rant back at me, I'm the first to point out that our overall tax rates for business in this country are far too high. I'm just trying to point out the contrast of complaining about feeding poor kids. I know, that sounds like a liberal thing to say, but I don't understand where liberals cornered the market on advocating, or appearing to advocate, for poor children.)

I'm worn out, but I'm off to church...Flame on!!!!

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Mom used to send us to school with our lunches in a brown paper bag or a Dick Tracy lunchbox. Usual daily fare was a nanner or apple, a handful of carrot sticks, some celery sticks, a hard boiled egg sometimes, and a peanut butter sandwich. Once in awhile we'd find some grapes in there or maybe on the rare days a couple of store bought cookies. Lunch had to be something you could have that did not require refrigeration...hence the peanut butter sandwiches. We'd wash it down with a half pint of chocolate milk for a nickle, that we bought from the lunch lady.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Guys, I'm not sure what the heck your schools are serving, but ours does a good job. First of all, our kitchen staff serves about 1200 lunches a day. They serve stuff that is good for the kids, including vegetables that are steamed, or cooked in a variety of ways, and they look fresh and colorful. On top of that, they taste good. They also serve fruit cups that have fruit as good as I can buy in any supermarket. The only thing they serve that is fried anymore are the French fries. Everything else, such as chicken patties, are baked. The menu has good variety, and the kids get at least three choices a day.

Here's the bad news: Parents haven't taught them to eat right. Guess who gets to do that? We do. Next thing you know, I'll be potty training them at 7th grade, because parents will quit doing that, too.

The good news: We've focused on teaching wellness, mainly in Health class, but also by setting an example and talking about it frequently. One of the ways we do this is that I, the other administrators, counselors, and teachers, engage them in conversation about it while we supervise lunch. We also eat the food, and they see that. (It is good, by the way. Imagine that.) More and more over the past few years, the kids are responding and eating the fruit and vegetables. They can't get soda pop, and most of the milk is skim, although flavored milk has 1% fat. We have carbonated fruit drinks that have no sugar added, and contain only the natural sugar in the fruit juice from which they are made. The optional chips are all baked and contain significantly less saturated fat than regular chips. For example, there are baked doritos. I personally don't like them, but the kids seem to like them a lot.

On top of all that, we get a random inspection every year from the Marion County Health Dept. They have received an A on every inspection, along with notes complimenting the cleanliness and practices to keep food safe. I know because I receive these reports, every time. I'd eat in our kitchen at school before I'd come and eat in most of yours, and I'd stack theirs up against ANY restaurant, even premium ones. We've not had one report or complaint of a kid getting sick on our food in the 11 years I've been there, thanks to our great staff and their strong procedures and practices.

I can't speak for your schools, but I'm betting you might not have been there in awhile. Then again, they may be still serving dog crap. On the other hand, where are you? Are you speaking up to change it for the bettter? Do you give a crap about the food the kids in your community eat, or even what they serve your kids, or do you sit at the keyboard speculating about how bad things are? Man, I don't know, but that kind of approach is what I saw in Liberals when I grew up. Sometimes there is a real challenge to tell the difference between some folks on the left and the right.

Our school is proof it can be done, and done well. Is it easy to do this? No. Is it expensive? Probably. Are our kids worth it? Absolutely. I travel to several different schools in the area each year, around Marion County, and a few outside, and I've not very often, in the last few years, found horrible food. Some are as good as ours, some are not quite there. Most are FAR better than what we grew up with and what has been described in this thread.

Here's the kicker. I overhear parents all the time making comments about school food at games and other events. They are folks that haven't been in a school cafeteria, especially ours, in years. I know because I'm in there every day, and I also ask them. I then invite them to come and eat lunch with their child and try it out. When they do, they are pleasantly surprised.

We do occasional Survey Monkey surveys with our kids, to get their thoughts on things. The percentage of kids that like the food we serve is above 90, every time. They like the food itself, but also the fact they get choices. (They only get two choices in the elementary schools)

Again, of all the things we can legitimately ***** about with wasteful government spending, and this is chosen. I'm amazed.

What about This? The GAO says the new USS Ford and JFK aircraft carriers is having costs go through the roof, in billions, because of the Navy's approach of putting all innovations scheduled to be introduced gradually through the class, in the first ship. Their negotiating tactics also put them at a huge disadvantage. The GAO made negotiating suggestions that would save billions. Doing this project well would pay for all the school lunch programs for years, and have lots left over to put toward the debt. I'm not a bleeder, either. I never said cancel the ships. I'm saying manage it well. It can be done. There's a million other examples, and you guys know about some of them, I'm sure.

The generalization that goes on around here about LEOs, schools, etc, are incredible.

By the way, I've visited private schools and charters. Lots of them. Maybe you are getting your school lunch impressions there. They are at least 10 years behind, and still have things that look like "Mystery meat." I've seen dirty floors, counter tops that are questionable, and dish/utensil washing machines that are dirty inside. Many are turning to contract with, guess who, for their food service? Their local public school. This is becoming more and more prevalent. They are also, more and more, contracting for Special Ed. Services to their local public schools. Hmmmmm.

Sorry for the rant, boys, but I can tell you how it comes across to see this stuff. Tell us what you do for a living, or the industry in which you work, and then we'll let some folks rant on stuff that you likely do very well. I know that there are always exceptions, but we speak in VERY general terms around here, often ignoring situations where things are done well.

I'm not looking for any affirmation or pats on the back here for anything. I get all the satisfaction I need from working hard and seeing my kids and parents do well and feel pleased with what we're doing. I also get satisfaction from working to correct situations where they are not happy.

As for charity being the best way to handle some things? That's great, and I'd recommend to keep giving. But don't assume that the money you send goes where you were told it would go. Fraud and waste are rampant in many programs, public and private. Best of all, it makes a great excuse to do nothing and give nothing. All I'm saying here, is that if you saw what we were doing, much of the criticism in this thread would be rendered impotent.

Sorry again for the rant, and I'm aware that my evidence is somewhat anecdotal. (But it appears less so that some of the other testimony here.) It just hit a nerve, because the staff I've got work REALLY HARD at doing it right.

Anyone want to start a thread on stupid expenses businesses can deduct from taxes, essentially having the rest of us fund things for wealthy, successful people? (Ok, before you rant back at me, I'm the first to point out that our overall tax rates for business in this country are far too high. I'm just trying to point out the contrast of complaining about feeding poor kids. I know, that sounds like a liberal thing to say, but I don't understand where liberals cornered the market on advocating, or appearing to advocate, for poor children.)

^^^^what is there left to say? Applause to you sir. You are speaking to the crowd who believes public schools are evil so take it with a grain of salt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They should be. But according to this...
    Infographic: School Cafeteria Food vs. Prison Food | Health on GOOD
    They're not...

The 'educators' said it. I just regurgitated it. Like a good boy.
    What?s Healthier, Prison Food Or A School Lunch? [Infographic] - PSFK
    One thing will never change. What I make, and the misses, will ALWAYS be better than what they want to shove down your throat in a Federal Facility. Ever wondered why it's so easy to get free lunches? It's because they create a very profitable generation to the medical industry. That in it's own is a goldmine.

What, exactly, do you think that the graph proves? Did you actually read what it?

What about the article about the graph? There whole claim of healthier is based on having one more item, a fruit AND vegetable instead of a fruit OR vegetable. It also states that prison food isn't regulated, and that prisoners have sued over the quality of the food they were served.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Can't give Rep again so soon, but spot on. I can't fathom the complaining about universal access to education and basic nutrition like I see here.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    As a current student, our meals seem pretty fine to me. Sometimes not the tastiest fare (whole grain macaroni and microwave pizza, yay /sarcasm), but by no means would I call it unhealthy. We always have access to fruits and vegetables. Weather you eat them or not, well, that's up to you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Universal Access: If I can't afford it, someone else has to buy it for me.

Therein lies the reasoning behind the complaints.

Yep. This subject just goes to show that there's always some form of government redistribution that otherwise "keep government out of my XYZ" guys can stand behind.

Top Bottom