• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    wow just wow ... trying the STARLIGHT barrel proof tonight. Damn good. And from Indiana.

It is a flavor bomb that has spice and character. Just over 121 proof. Its a little hot going down on the first sip, but I didn't add water or ice, so I expected a bit of burn.

I like this stuff, a lot.

And at barrel proof, a little goes a long way.

Find it, buy as much as you can carry. $59 and so worth every penny.

Last edited:

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I can give a boat load of bottles under $50 that are fantastic! I did not go through the entire thread but, will throw out a few of my favorite options that are at the top of my list consistently every single year. In saying that, I have roughly 300 open bottles of Bourbon and around 450 or so total bottles of Whiskey (Bourbon, Scotch, Jap Whiskey, American Whiskey, Irish Whiskey) sitting on my shelfs:) With anything, everyone is different and taste can be greatly attributed to the "human element" of your drinking experience. With that said... Here is a brief list of what I would say are my go to bottles at sub $50 bucks. Before I can actually make the list, I guess I have to say I am giving thoughts based off of actual retail prices as well as the ability to get what I want when I want.

• Weller 12yr.
      • Yes a tough find, but for $35-$50 bucks retail its going to be hard to beat this pour IMO
    • Elijah Craig 12yr age state bottle (not the new barrel proof).
      • For $30 bucks easily one of the best pours out there.
    • Michters Sour Mash
      • At $40-$45 a bottle is mellow and IMO a perfect daily sipper! True, its an allocated bottle, but not something that takes years of hunting... Can easily be found if you stop into a few local hot spots! I love the Sour Mash over the other regular Michters bottles, but the Bourbon and American Whiskey are also way high on my list of bottles that should be in any collection
    • Elmir T Lee
      • Not something I would spend a ton of time looking for, but if you see it buy it! Solid sour mash pour that is always a treat... Bottle can be had for around $40
    • Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength
      • Even better if you can find a decent OESK or OBSO store pick. These typically tip the scale at around $50 bucks and typically beat out many of the highly allocated bottles in a blind taste test!
    • Very Old Barton 100 proof
      • For $18 BUY IT! Getting harder to find and for good reason... The stuff is fantastic and a bottle that should be on your shelf at that price!
    • Weller 107
      • Yes, I know... everyone loves Weller! The 107 (esp if you can land a store pick) is a great wheater and something that is as good as it gets for the $25-$30 price tag.
    • Jack Daniels Single Barrel (I know its not bourbon, but I think its worth mentioning)
      • For $50 bucks. Its a fantastic drinker and one that I often times recommend to any whiskey drinker! I am personally not a fan of any of the other Jack products, but this one is different and one that I will always have on the bar!

Lots of thoughts there... hopefully not to much! Hope it was helpful!

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    What do you all do with your empty bottles? Some are pretty unique. I hate to just toss them, but also don't want to clutter up the house with them. And I don't want broken glass in the yard after using them for target practice.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Lawd! Or maybe I'm an OCD alcoholic and polish off several half partial open bottles. I do savor those eyebrow raiser bottles.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I got some crown royal for christmas.. i dont drink whiskey really this stuff is awful.

I would like to find something "smooth" for 50 or under. Something that doesnt make you have a face like you just smelled a fart in a taxi. What would be a good beginner bourbon?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I got some crown royal for christmas.. i dont drink whiskey really this stuff is awful.

I would like to find something "smooth" for 50 or under. Something that doesnt make you have a face like you just smelled a fart in a taxi. What would be a good beginner bourbon?

Larceny

Makers Mark

Jim Beam Double Oaked (with the BLUE label)

Each are under $30. Each are quality offerings that stand on their own merits.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Evan Williams Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (Kentucky release only) would all be good quality beginner bourbon

Really for cheap stuff too I like Jim Beam and Old Grandad Bottled in Bond (pretty rye-y)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm guessing this might be one of those ease into the sophistication of taste situations. I might recommend mixing with Sprite, Coke, water, or on ice to let the bourbon mix and mellow, etc. to take the bite out at first. Then, gradually back that off until it is straight bourbon. Then you can decide what type of flavors you like.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm guessing this might be one of those ease into the sophistication of taste situations. I might recommend mixing with Sprite, Coke, water, or on ice to let the bourbon mix and mellow, etc. to take the bite out at first. Then, gradually back that off until it is straight bourbon. They you can decide what type of flavors you like.

I agree with this approach. I started with Early Times & Mountain Dew in High School. When I joined the Army I switched to Jim Beam & Coke. Once I started deviating from the Jim Beam I found that 7up allowed more of the flavor of the bourbon to come through and that's when I discovered that I preferred those bourbons which maintained some corn flavor to them. From there I started trying different bourbons on the rocks and found that I'm not a rye fan and instead prefer the wheated bourbons.

I still drink a good bit of my bourbon mixed with 7up, mainly because I tend to drink less that way but I don't mix the good stuff. A nice wheated on ice coupled with a good cigar is by far my favorite way to partake of bourbon.

Last edited:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I bought a smaller bottle of knob creek tonight to see if i like it. I wanted to get the four roses single but wasnt ready to spend 45$. Id like to try it first.

Attachments

• A7230243-0429-4E01-A088-D89511AF53C2.jpg
      A7230243-0429-4E01-A088-D89511AF53C2.jpg
      104.3 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I bought a smaller bottle of knob creek tonight to see if i like it. I wanted to get the four roses single but wasnt ready to spend 45$. Id like to try it first.

FWIW, if it has Rye in it, expect some level of "heat" from the offering. Wheated bourbon lends itself to less burn during tasting.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    For me its not the burn its the after taste in crap liquor. Years ago a friend of mine aquired an old bottle of early times.. no idea which one but it was high end because it had no after taste. Very smooth wish i knew what it was.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio

Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my favorites under $50. Kroger has it for under $35, and I think it is $31.99 (wife keeps me stocked). Not sure if you have a Kroger near you, but just a heads up if you do. I'm currently sipping the SiB Private Selection (OBSQ). For the price, I prefer the standard Single Barrel over the Private selection ($55-$60).

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

For me the smoothest I've had is Jefferson's. Regular Jefferson's, not Reserve or anything else. It is usually between $30 - 35. It is as smooth as a good brandy.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I also like Buffalo Trace, but I don't know if that's as smooth as you are looking for.

Top Bottom