• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I picked up another bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak again today for $20....It's not a bad bourbon for the money....

rimg.php

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    8F2A6AB9-4756-4019-B1C2-B034DBF7337E.jpg

I dont know why my photos turn sideways.. anyway opted for the sinlge barrel four roses. Like it a lot more then the knob creek. Got a good burn to it!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I picked up another bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak again today for $20....It's not a bad bourbon for the money....

I think that is one of the better cheap bourbons on the market and probably the best "Jim Beam" offering, especially considering that Jim Beam WHITE label tastes a lot like water, BLACK label has only slightly more flavor. But the "double oak" BLUE label actually has a very nice flavor and is smooth too. For the price it is a very compelling bourbon.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Nice they said they do a sampling at the downtown location

That was my first time in that place, and it was by chance, happened to see it and stopped by. Odd location....looks Greenwood ghettoish, inside was clean, small bourbon selection but store pick Four Roses barrel proof out the ying yang but LOTS of options and batches. Overall was a nice stop besides the weird drunk guy that went in at 11:35.....weird guy

View attachment 62913

I dont know why my photos turn sideways.. anyway opted for the sinlge barrel four roses. Like it a lot more then the knob creek. Got a good burn to it!

Just wait till you can drink barrel proof bourbon neat, good burn, long finish, and a lot of subtle flavors

Loves me some neat barrel proof

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Laid up after surgery, and bored. I think I read ALL of INGO in the last few days. Always a fan of this thread, but rarely a contributor. My 1st pick to sample was the 1st bourbon I received - for my 40th birthday..... a while ago. This is 108.4 proof and a bit bighty, but not too hot. I have had this a number of years, as I was never a fan. My sip today shows my tastes have changed. This bottle will get finished. NOTE: tried adding a pic and it says too large for INGO, and w/o pic you can not see my bottle was WILD TURKEY Rare Breed, Barrel Strength. Help w/ pix?

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    View attachment 62913

Did you pick up the $36.99 one? This is the standard Single Barrel, huge fan for the price. I haven't fallen in love with the private selection bottles yet, of the 3 I've tried.

On the same note, I picked up two bottles today at Crown that I haven't tried yet:
    Old Grand Dad 100 Proof Bonded
    Henry McKenna 10 year

I've heard good things about both, so I'll be tasting them tomorrow.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Did you pick up the $36.99 one? This is the standard Single Barrel, huge fan for the price. I haven't fallen in love with the private selection bottles yet, of the 3 I've tried.

On the same note, I picked up two bottles today at Crown that I haven't tried yet:
    Henry McKenna 10 year

Ol Grandad Bottled in Bond is what got me started on bourbon, lots of spice (heavy rye mashbill for bourbon), always thought it was underrated, the 114 is good too

I think I tried McKenna once but can't recall

That bottle is the $54.99 one, store pick barrel strength

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm not sure if it was the shrimp scampi I had for dinner, or coming in from moving snow, or both, but Michter's Small Batch (batch no. 17B435) was calling my name and it's really tripping my trigger. Many know I'm not a rye guy (& this is known for low rye content), but this has a pleasant, long-lasting almost creamy finish.

That Greek Schrimp Scampi had quite a bit of feta cheese on it, which leads me to this cheese pairing article: Bourbon Classic 2015 : A Bourbon and Cheese Pairing With Tim Gaddis - The Bourbon Review

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010

Henry McKenna 10 year

i did, from what i gathered at the store.. the worker said the cheaper single barrel is still aged the same as the private select. With the private select you can just find tune your tastes.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Finished a bottle of Hirsch Small Batch Reserve Straight Bourbon. Mid-level price, mid-level taste. Nice long finish with out that rye burn. I was kind of disappointed there wasn't as much flavor as advertised. There is vanilla and caramel scents and tastes, but while they stuck out, I found it dry to drink and not a lot of other flavors.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Got a bottle of Suntori whiskey Toki yesterday at Costco for $31. It was a one time buy for them. Cracked it open last night. It was hot but good flavor.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Been trying to load up on OKI since the news a couple weeks back, got 7 in the cellar and going to be looking for more before it dries up. Shame it's going away, good stuff

Also, for Big Red people, the VIP batch 2.....the stores that have them left are blowing them out. Instead of $59.99ea, they're $20

Picked up 4 so far, for 114 proof and $20, hard to pass up. Glad I didn't get any when it was $59 though

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    734F4FD8-4D38-4072-A28B-E74671130747.jpg

I know its not a bourbon... but there isnt a "best whiskey under 50" thread. This monkey shoulder is an easy sipper.. very good. Not the strongest but very good for 35$

Top Bottom