• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sipping on the OYO Bourbon and I'm underwhelmed. I've really been looking forward to trying this one. Its a bourbon, mixed with a wheat whiskey, but the proportion is such that it still qualifies as a bourbon so with the mix there is still at least 51% corn in the mash. OYO is a micro-distiller in Ohio. I believe they buy their bourbon from Lawrenceburg, IN and mix it with their own OYO distilled wheated whisky.

To start out this is a 90 proof bourbon with a lovely caramel color. The aromo is mostly alcohol on the nose with some subtle hints of vanilla. But mostly alcohol.

Sipping it neat you notice that OYO has got some rye qualities, from the bourbon mash, in that it has plenty of back of mouth spice. But its also got the mellowness and sweetness characterized by wheated bourbons. Going into your mouth its very pleasant. Its what happens afterwards that is the problem. Burn in the belly. Long lasting deep hard burn. Some mouth tingle too from the alcohol, but the burn in the gut is strong enough that you almost have to reach for a fire extinguisher and really are not too terribly concerned about the tingle on the lips, which is also a bit harsh. But before the unpleasant part there is a good smooth and mellow bourbon flavor that is very nice, with a bit of spice, but not too much, at the back of the tongue.

So far the OYO reminds me of WILLETS POT STILL bourbon, in that its got some nice notes but is just to harsh with too much burn to enjoy straight up.

Thankfully I'm done with this one neat, I dropped in an ice cube and let it melt down to see if this can be tamed down. Surprisingly the single cube really tamed the harshness of the OYO Bourbon down into a very pleasant drink. The characteristics of wheated bourbons really now shines, this becomes a very smooth drink, with just a hint of alcohol tingle finish in the mouth, and a bit of warmth in the belly but no longer is there a burning fire that rivals an old fashioned pot belly stove. The flavors really sharpen up but don't become harsh; can something be both smooth but sharp? Mellow but with disctinct traces of spice? This one seems to do it.

Honestly I really do NOT like OYO Bourbon straight up. Its just a mean drink when you try it neat. But mellow it out with a bit of ice or water and all of a sudden this becomes a very nice well balanced bourbon that is intersting to the tongue, no longer harsh, but still offers some body. Ice not only saves this bourbon from the trash heap, it redeems it and makes it a VERY GOOD, perhaps not great, bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Tonight is a good night for BOOKERS Bourbon from the home of Jim Beam. Its bottled at Cask strength, so every batch has a slightly different proof. My bottle is just a shade over 130 proof.

Given the strength, I'm not even going to bother to sip this neat. I poured about an ounce and a half into a glass, added 2 ice cubes and let it sit a little bit. Mock me for not drinking a 130+ proof drink straight if you will, but I don't drink to get drunk or even a buzz. Typically I have a 1 drink limit and do it for the flavor.

BOOKERS is the premium bourbon from Jim Beam and it is a real doozy of drink. Its a nice dark caramel color with plenty of alcohol in the aroma.

But it is the taste that really sets this bourbon apart. Its got some BIG FLAVORS, even with 2 cubes 1/2 way melted, the flavor is very bold and spicy. There is only a little alcohol tingle on the lips, a little warmth in the belly (much less than the OYO that I taste tested yesterday). But this is a full flavor bourbon with strong spices and strong flavors in your mouth. It is very different than any other bourbon in this thread because it is far more flavorful than any other bourbon in this thread, so much so that its got more flavor than the others by a wide margin or magnitude.

This is strongly flavored but very good. And obviously high in alcohol, which most people will want to tame down. But when I say good, by that I mean very very good. It goes into a special category of good that we can call great. You have to like spice to like this, but if you do you won't just like it, you will love this. BOOKERS Bourbon is worth the price...and more.

I'd say its not your everyday bourbon, and I'd still pick JEFFERSON'S OCEAN as a better bourbon. But not by much. I just don't think I could drink the BOOKERS everyday, and the OCEAN is something I'd love to pick up daily.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I like these Indiana bourbons that are popping up...any more to add to the list?

Right now we have Backbone, Harrison, and Spring Mill.
    Temptation and Redemtionrye
    There is also TEMPERANCE TRADERS, which is also a cask strength Indiana bourbon. A group of INGO guys tried it at a meeting at the NWI INGO Clubhouse a couple months back, its very good stuff. We compared it to several other bourbons. Journeymans from New Buffalo, Michigan and Jeffersons Reserve from Louisville, KY. The Journeyman offering was generally considered to be 1 step below stagnant pond water, the Temperance Traders was considered very good, not quite up to the quality/taste/flavors of the Jeffersons, but its about $15 a bottle less expensive and well worth the price. If you can find Temperance Traders buy a bottle. Its a good bourbon, bordering on a very good bourbon, and at under $40 a bottle its a great value in bourbons.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Temptation and Redemtionrye

It should be noted that Temptation/Redemption comes from the factory distiller in Indiana, sold to Bardstown, and finished in Kentucky. It is not marketed as an Indiana bourbon. Journeyman, from southern Michigan is another that comes from southern Indiana but is not marketed as such. Breaker Bourbon from California also comes from Lawrenceburg, IN., as does HIGH WEST from Utah.

NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. But there are probably 100 other "Indiana" bourbons that are floating around the USA, being sold as craft bourbons by small "distillers" that actually buy their bourbon from the EX-Seagrams distiller (now owned by a division MGP food group). Many of these "craft distillers" are new, in business for only a few years, yet selling aged bourbons that predate their founding. Only way to do that is to buy from someone else. AGAIN, that is not necessary bad/wrong.

Here is a list of INDIANA bourbons that I have tracked down and identified, I am NOT saying it is complete, its constantly growing. And in some cases it surprised me with my finds. Almost none of these are actually sold as "Indiana" bourbons. I believe, but won't swear, that all of them come from Midwest Grain Products in Lawrenceburg, IN. Those that are bolded are being marketed as INDIANA bourbon companies. Some others, like Beer Barrel Bourbon identify themselves as Indiana bourbon but finished in another state, but unless you read the fine print you wouldn't see it.

• 4 Spirits Bourbon (4 Spirits)
    • 1888 Bourbon (Diversa Brands)
    • 99 Bottles Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    • Angel's Envy Rye (Louisville Distilling Co.)
    • Backbone Bourbon (Crossroads Vitners/Strong Spirits)
    • Batch No. 12 Bourbon & Rye (Heritage Distilling)
    • Beer Barrel Bourbon (New Holland Brewing)
    • Big Ass Bourbon (Strong Spirits)
    • Big Bottom Bourbon (Big Bottom)
    • Big House Bourbon (Underdog Spirits)
    • Big Y Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    • Bone Snapper Rye (Strong Spirits)
    • Breaker Bourbon (Ascendant Spirits)
    • Bulleit Rye (Diageo)
    • Calumet Farms (origins still unknown to me, possibly MGP?)
    • Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve (Chattanooga Whiskey Co.)
    • Clarion Bourbon and Blended Whiskey (Distilled Spirits Epicenter)
    • Cleveland Rye Whiskey (Cleveland Whiskey)
    • Coney Island Carlo Bourbon (Terresentia)
    • Copper City Straight Bourbon (Arizona Distilling Co.)
    • Corn Star Corn Whiskey (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    • Cotton Hollow Rye (Cotton Hollow/Strong Spirits)
    • Cougar Bourbon & Rye (Foster's)
    • Defiance Whiskey (Crown Valley Distilling)
    • Filibuster Bourbon & Rye (M.S. Trading LP)
    • George Dickel Rye (George Dickel)
    • George Remus Bourbon & Rye (Queen City Whiskey/Strong Spirits)
    • Henderson Rye (North Texas Distillers)
    • High Liquors Bourbon & Rye (High Liquors)
    • High West (an an element of many of their whiskeys blends)
    • Homestead Bourbon (Homestead American whiskey)
    • Hooker's House (some of their bourbons and their rye; Prohibition Spirits)
    • J. Green Bourbon and Rye (Shadow Beverage Group)
    • James E. Pepper 1776 Rye (James E. Pepper/Strong Spirits)
    • Journeyman Bourbon (Journeyman)
    • Knotter Bourbon & Rye (Blaum Bros.)
    • LeMont Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    • Mosswood American Light Whiskey (Mosswood Distillers)
    • O.K.I. Bourbon and Rye (New Riff Distilling)
    • OYO Bourbon (Ohio, Indiana bourbon blended with Ohio rye whiskey)
    • Pinhook Bourbon (CJS Beverage Corp.)
    • Prichard's Rye (Prichard's)
    • Redemption Bourbon & Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    • Riverboat Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    • Rough Rider Bourbon & Rye (Long Island Spirits)
    • Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey (Diageo)
    • Single Track Rye (Range and River Distilling)
    • Smokin' Joe's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    • Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, Rye and Corn Whiskey (Smooth Ambler)
    • Smuggler's Notch Rye
    • Spring Mill Bourbon (Heartland Distillers)
    • Taos Lightning (KGB Spirits)
    • Temperance Trader (Bull Run Distilling)
    • Templeton Rye (Templeton)
    • Temptation Bourbon (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    • The Saloon Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    • Tin Cup Whiskey (Proximo Spirits)
    • Traverse City Bourbon (Traverse City Whiskey Co)
    • Troubadour Bourbon (The Original Texas Legend Distillery)
    • WH Harrison Bourbon (Tipton Spirits)
    • Widow Jane Rye (Cacao Prieto)
    • Willett Rye (Indiana ryes)
    • Winghart's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)

BY THE WAY, I don't guarantee this list to be 100% accurate and don't intend to misrepresent any brand, it is what I believe to be true at the time it was compiled. But many of the 'craft' distillers have been working on their own bourbons and aging them during the same time they have been sourcing bourbons from other distillers so this list may end up changing because as these 'craft distillers' come of age and release their own aged bourbons this list will contain some errors. MGP makes some amazing bourbons, many award winners, so this list is not to imply that any of these companies, if they buy from a factory distillery, are selling inferior product, in fact many are marketing superior award winning bourbons that they buy and resell, often after additional processing.

If anyone has any corrections/additions/deletions to this list, please let me know.

Much of the list was compiled by Whiskey writer Chuck Cowdery but I have been modifying and adding to his list over time as I have done my own research to supplement his findings.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    By the way there are other distilleries in Indiana. Some are in the process of making whiskey and possibly bourbon.

• Bear Wallow Distillery, Nashville, IN. This distillery makes Hidden Holler Moonshine, a corn whiskey, and is working on Liar's Bench Rye and Bear Trap Whiskey, a white whiskey.

Cardinal Spirits, Bloomington, IN. This distillery opened in 2014 and plans on making bourbon, rye and single malt whiskeys.

The Indiana Whiskey Co., South Bend, IN. This distillery makes Silver Sweet Corn Whiskey, a straight whiskey made with wheat and barley, and a bourbon.

Kinsmen Distillery, Newtown, IN. This distillery is planning to release Old 55 Corn Whiskey and Bourbon.

Oakley Brothers Distillery, Anderson, IN. This distillery is working on Indiana Moon Corn Whiskey.

Starlight Distillery (Huber's Orchards), Borden, IN. This orchard/winery/distillery is working on a whiskey with an undisclosed mashbill.

3 Floyds Brewery, Munster, IN is in the process of starting up a distillery. They are a well established micro-brew pub.

The Copper Still, St John, IN. Currently making vodka.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Blantons is just over $50, but worth every penny!!!!! You won't regret spending the extra coin.
    Lots of people absolutely rave about BLANTONS bourbon. I am not one of those. It just doesnt match my palate. That is one of the great things about tasting bourbons, everyone has a different preference and there is a lot of room for disagreement on what is a good bourbon. I would love to see other people make lists of their favorites, least favorites and acceptable but not great bourbons.

Also, with all the Indiana craft bourbons coming from MGP, many of those are award winning bourbons and even if they are not distilled by the company selling it, they are often altered by those companies in such a way to make them outstanding and unique. Widow Jane is a double gold medal winner but is not distilled by Widow Jane Distillery, they buy a specific mash blend, at cask strength, bring it down to selling proof with local limestone water, etc etc and that makes it both unique and, according to the reviews, pretty awesome. There are many others like Widow Jane on my list above, some are astounding, some just average.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So here is my list. Don't let my Ok list fool you, they are very good, just not my personal favorites.

Favorites:
    Makers Mark (I like MM46 as well!)- Not a harsh drink.
    Eagle Rare - Rivals Makers Mark- Not harsh to drink.
    Bookers - stronger drink but a good drink non the less.

OK's:
    Basil Haydens
    Temptation and Redemption Rye
    JD Single Barrel.
    Jefferson's
    Woodford

Wouldn't buy again:
    Buffalo Trace

If we want to get out of the $50 price point, then CR Cask 16 and XR would be high on the list of favorites.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Ive never tried the Eagles Rare. Its a 10 year old. Please tell us all about it. Its something Ive wanted to try but never got around to drinking, probably because they make a 17 year old version that Ive searched for, in vain.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Eagle Rare 10 year is great in my books!
    Very smooth, no burning. I drink it neat.

I will give a more detailed review in the next couple of days when I can have a drink.

I have found if you like/love Makers Mark and try Eagle, you will most likely like it as much as if not more then Makers Mark. Very well worth the $$ for a bottle.

I have not found a 17 year batch, but if I do I will get you one (assuming they have 2 bottles!)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My favorites are Templeton Rye, Eagle Rare, Baker's, Blanton's, and Knob Creek Single Barrel. Maker's Mark, and especially Maker's Mark 46, are also up there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Eagle Rare 10 year is great in my books!
    Very smooth, no burning. I drink it neat.

I will give a more detailed review in the next couple of days when I can have a drink.

I have found if you like/love Makers Mark and try Eagle, you will most likely like it as much as if not more then Makers Mark. Very well worth the $$ for a bottle.

I have not found a 17 year batch, but if I do I will get you one (assuming they have 2 bottles!)
    Assuming you can find it it will probably cost you $100 or more per bottle. Its part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, which includes 5 items, 2 of which are Rye Whiskeys, but 3 are bourbons. I have all 3 of the bourbons on my Bucket List but I have never found any of them in stores, nor have I found stores that can order them. They are on very limited release. I am looking for these:

George T. Stagg
    William Larue Weller
    Eagle Rare 17

There are a few others I want to try, but honestly I am trying to clear out some of the lesser bourbons from my cabinet before I buy any of the regular bourbons that I want to test. Makers 46 is one I want to try, but I need to get rid of Stetson, Evan Williams 1783, Town Branch, Journeyman, etc etc etc

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I travel the Bourbon Trail, right past the Buffalo Trace distillery, about 6 times each year but rarely do I have time to stop. One of these days, possibly this December, I will stop into the distillery and see if they have any of those 3 in stock.
    Buffalo Trace is a very good tour but they are one of the weakest with having their product available to purchase on site. When I was there this spring, about the only bottles you could buy were Buffalo Trace, a white dog product and their Bourbon Cream (which is delicious).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Buffalo Trace is a very good tour but they are one of the weakest with having their product available to purchase on site. When I was there this spring, about the only bottles you could buy were Buffalo Trace, a white dog product and their Bourbon Cream (which is delicious).
    And that is one of the problems with the 3 bucket list items I have been looking for, very scarce availability.

These are bourbons that are released in limited volumes, often limited releases are only done 1 time per year.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Culling the herd.

I have donated a bottle of bourbon to a wedding. Its the TEMPERANCE TRADERS bourbon. Its good stuff, on my list of favorites, but its commonly available and I can get more anytime I want it. So that one will be gone this weekend.

The Evan Williams 1783 has already been emptied, it was used for mixed drinks because its simply not good enough to drink any other way. The trash men already hauled that bottle to the recycling center. Traverse City also met a similar fate a while back, so that is also gone, never to return.

Town Branch is up next. That will be used for mixed drinks, poured for guests that just want a drink, etc. Hopefully the remainder of that bottle will depart my abode soon.

Next on the list will be the Stetson bourbon. OK but not good enough. Simply no reason to keep it around.

2 that are on the bottom of my list that I will retain in the cabinet for guests are the WILLET POT STILL and the BLANTONS. Neither are to my liking but both are considered very good by many. So guests will have them if they choose.

That leaves me with JOURNEYMAN bourbon, a bourbon, that to my taste buds is absolutely the worst bourbon ever produced. I only have 1 sister-in-law that drinks bourbon, and I feed it to her when she asks for bourbon, but that is not often enough to rid this bottle from my cabinet. I dont let unscrupulous people into my house, like lawyers or politicians, so I cant serve it to them. Its so bad that I think I may be stuck with this bottle for a very long time.

At this point I am done with experimenting with BEST BOURBONS UNDER $50 and I will simply try the bourbons I want to try and drink what I enjoy, regardless of the price. I will continue with my search for some Bucket List bourbons. I will soon have enough room to fit in a bottle of Makers 46, which I will simply presume that I will like because I like the regular Makers Mark product.

And one of these days we may all want to discuss the POTEMKIN DISTILLERIES that buy bourbon and resell it as if they made it themselves. I dont take a hard line against them, but I do not think most of them are worthy of much consideration. Some are selling some amazing products. My biggest gripe are those who misrepresent themselves, but if the product is good enough I can even overlook their lie.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom