• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't have an eye for 1911's or I guess you could say a taste... Until I look really closely they all just about look the same to me. And I am ok with that, my wallet thanks me! But I've shot a few E series that are friends of mine and I really liked them, much better than other similarly priced 1911's I've shot.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I will add to this... for $800 bucks my choice would be very simple. Buy a Ruger SR1911... you can nab one for $600-$700 and you will be happy. I will not even get into how Rugers foundry makes nearly all the slides and frames for almost every 1911 maker that have been mentioned in this thread.

If I was not going to do that, I would just save and buy a used DW Valor for $1350-$1400. Thats it... Nothing else I would even consider in this price range at this point.

SA TRP is a pretty good pistol, but at that point I would just save a bit more and move onto the Valor.

Just my personal opinion here.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Have 4 CZ's currently. 2 are fully Cajionized. 2 are stock offerings. Difference is night and day but as with anything you modify you will eat that money if you sell it.

David Milam is a fantastic guy! I know him well:) Anytime I get a chance to send him a pistol, I jump at it... esp a CZ:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Anything made by Springfield Armory and the Range Officers seem to get a lot of points for great accuracy, function and terrific price.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Anything made by Springfield Armory and the Range Officers seem to get a lot of points for great accuracy, function and terrific price.

They are good values, I saw a RO compact at Highsmith's the other day that actually had a well fit beavertail too, maybe they got too embarrassed that Rock Island was fitting beavertails better than they were.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are good values, I saw a RO compact at Highsmith's the other day that actually had a well fit beavertail too, maybe they got too embarrassed that Rock Island was fitting beavertails better than they were.

How do these run. Any issues. I have been asked and have no reference to offer.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Speaking of which....

I have held some RIA 1911's. They always seem to be fitted as well or better than some others I have looked at for up to twice the price. You can get one with VZ grips, decent sights, FL guide rod (meh), ambi safety (ugh), extended beaver tail for $500 or so. And the triggers usually don't suck any worse than most within $300 of that price point. So are the frames/slides of a material inferior enough that these are not worth dropping quality internals into? Or is it a matter of resale value? They just don't seemto be popular with those who are going to work on their pistols. I'm guessing there is a good reason. But to my uneducated mind, if you're going to gut a pistol anyway, why pay $900-1100 for a pistol you're going to gut anyway, why not pay half that if you can find one that's tight enough? I keep wrestling with this. I want a springer, but if I'm going to have it redone, why pay the extra money?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    What about the Taurus 1911s? Are they that inexpensive for a reason?

I haven't held many, but the couple I did hold were pretty sloppy. The trigger was better than I expected for a gun that price, IIRC. I may have that part mixed up with another brand I held that day. I can't tell you how they shoot.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Speaking of which....

I have held some RIA 1911's. They always seem to be fitted as well or better than some others I have looked at for up to twice the price. You can get one with VZ grips, decent sights, FL guide rod (meh), ambi safety (ugh), extended beaver tail for $500 or so. And the triggers usually don't suck any worse than most within $300 of that price point. So are the frames/slides of a material inferior enough that these are not worth dropping quality internals into? Or is it a matter of resale value? They just don't seemto be popular with those who are going to work on their pistols. I'm guessing there is a good reason. But to my uneducated mind, if you're going to gut a pistol anyway, why pay $900-1100 for a pistol you're going to gut anyway, why not pay half that if you can find one that's tight enough? I keep wrestling with this. I want a springer, but if I'm going to have it redone, why pay the extra money?
    The only drawback I can think of having a RIA accurized instead of a Springfield is that if you ever sell it, the Springfield Armory will retain more value. I'm not up on the quality of the machining of the Rock Island pistols. If I were considering one, I'd try to get a pistolsmith, who specializes in 1911's, to give me an opinion of the quality of the metal and accuracy of the machining. Slightly imperfect hole alignment has been reported in some 1911's in the past. This can make getting a good trigger job very hard and can cause reliability issues elsewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of which....

Take this for what it is actually worth (???)

I have been inside more than a few of these when my tight ass friends buy them to show me I am wrong about the Marque. In this I am seldom wrong but have been mistaken.
    They are not all that susceptible to upgrades as the good after market parts are a pain in the butt to make fit.
    I save all the stock parts when I up-grade my springers and use them to put in RIA's for budget oriented folks....(tight)....and even then it is sometimes a Struggle to get them to fit especially barrels.

I have seen a few that were fit up pretty well. They shot pretty nicely after some attention to the triggers but we just stuck with the original ignition pieces. These were newer offerings and it appears they have stepped up their game just a bit.

I would not buy one but like I already said....take it for what it is worth.

Some folks will trip over a $5 bill to pick up a quarter.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Take this for what it is actually worth (???)

I have been inside more than a few of these when my tight ass friends buy them to show me I am wrong about the Marque. In this I am seldom wrong but have been mistaken.
    They are not all that susceptible to upgrades as the good after market parts are a pain in the butt to make fit.
    I save all the stock parts when I up-grade my springers and use them to put in RIA's for budget oriented folks....(tight)....and even then it is sometimes a Struggle to get them to fit especially barrels.

I have seen a few that were fit up pretty well. They shot pretty nicely after some attention to the triggers but we just stuck with the original ignition pieces. These were newer offerings and it appears they have stepped up their game just a bit.

I would not buy one but like I already said....take it for what it is worth.

Some folks will trip over a $5 bill to pick up a quarter.

Coming from you, it's worth a lot to me. You've had your share of 1911's inside out. The fitment of aftermarket parts is what I was most curious about. I ask, because it doesn't make sense to me to spend an extra $500 if after the parts and gumsmithing are done, the same end result is achieved. Sounds like that may not always be achievable. I don't have the money to buy expensive because it has the right logo on the side. But I won't buy cheap if I can't get the quality I want from it either. I'll save until I get the best value, whether that value is at $500 or $1500.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coming from you, it's worth a lot to me. You've had your share of 1911's inside out. The fitment of aftermarket parts is what I was most curious about. I ask, because it doesn't make sense to me to spend an extra $500 if after the parts and gumsmithing are done, the same end result is achieved. Sounds like that may not always be achievable. I don't have the money to buy expensive because it has the right logo on the side. But I won't buy cheap if I can't get the quality I want from it either. I'll save until I get the best value, whether that value is at $500 or $1500.

If up-grade is your intent there are a few deals in the classy'e right now.
    They need to be fondled 1st as to frame/slide fit. The rest can be dealt with reasonably.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    So I shot a Hi-Point .45 the other day, I told the owner he should spray paint it yellow and put a DeWalt sticker on it. Safe to say that's not going to be my .45 replacement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I shot a Hi-Point .45 the other day, I told the owner he should spray paint it yellow and put a DeWalt sticker on it. Safe to say that's not going to be my .45 replacement.

All I can say is......well......"Why".....:):

I shot a friends. He agrees it needs a chain welded to it.......anchor.

No knock if that is the only gun someone has. Better than none, I think.

Top Bottom