• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was always of the mindset that I would tell an officer immediately. Ever since the fake DEA got busted in my home town, I have changed my mind. If I would have volunteered information to this person pretending to be law enforcement, best case scenario is that I would have gotten my gun "confiscated". I have since decided that I will not volunteer information unless I am reasonably sure the police officer will discover it on his own. Better yet, I will do my best to not get pulled over.

Don't know the entire specifics of the fake DEA, but if pulled over by anything other than a marked car, they better be wearing a uniform, other wise you have no obligation to stop if they are wearing street clothes from what I was told.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Don't know the entire specifics of the fake DEA, but if pulled over by anything other than a marked car, they better be wearing a uniform, other wise you have no obligation to stop if they are wearing street clothes from what I was told.

+1 I was just discussing this with an officer that mans our front desk on Friday. An officer must be in uniform to perform a stop.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Not true - an officer must be in either a fully marked squad car or in uniform. If an officer is in a full marked squad car they can legally make a traffic stop while wearing street clothes.

I'm not going to discuss the merits of doing this, just pointing out a matter of law.

fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Question....If you are legal to carry why would a LEO need to disarm you? I've never been in this situation, but I would think that for safety reasons, just leave the firearm where it is. I have no desire to be muzzle swept, or to even hand over a gun that a LEO may not know how to unload safely. Just because they are a LEO does not make them a gun enthusiast, or to even be able to handle any gun other than their duty gun.

Fire

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Question....If you are legal to carry why would a LEO need to disarm you? I've never been in this situation, but I would think that for safety reasons, just leave the firearm where it is. I have no desire to be muzzle swept, or to even hand over a gun that a LEO may not know how to unload safely. Just because they are a LEO does not make them a gun enthusiast, or to even be able to handle any gun other than their duty gun.

Fire

Put yourself in the leo's position, just because you have a LTCH does not make you any less of a threat, no matter who you are. In his mind you have a weapon, you may have done something and might use it to keep from getting caught.

I'm almost for informing him, having all people exit (if anyone is with me) and laying it on the passenger seat and locking the vehicle to secure it.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I read a thread on officer.com which right now I don't have time to find about a reserve who got stopped out of his jurisdiction who showed his department ID was dissarmed and given his weapon back field stripped in a zip-lock bag.:xmad: He was posting the experiance on officer.com to ask:wtf: One of the people responded "your lucky you got a bag".
    That is why I wouldn't want to disclose immediatley, I understand their job is dangerous but thats just poopy. I feel a little better that nobody here has had that happen to them.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I read a thread on officer.com which right now I don't have time to find about a reserve who got stopped out of his jurisdiction who showed his department ID was dissarmed and given his weapon back field stripped in a zip-lock bag.:xmad: He was posting the experiance on officer.com to ask:wtf: One of the people responded "your lucky you got a bag".
    That is why I wouldn't want to disclose immediatley, I understand their job is dangerous but thats just poopy. I feel a little better that nobody here has had that happen to them.

People here have had them disclose, disarmed, then returned field-stripped.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I agree that it may be a bit poopy, but you know, it takes two seconds to put a Glock back together. If it makes the officer feel safer, then honestly, I'm fine with it.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that it may be a bit poopy, but you know, it takes two seconds to put a Glock back together. If it makes the officer feel safer, then honestly, I'm fine with it.

And not telling him makes him feel normal also. Look, I know they've got a hard job, but I'll follow the letter of the law.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I like what I hear so far, but I have a follow up question. Is is ok for me to drop my clip and clear the chamber before handing the gun over??:dunno:
    "For my safety....and yours"....before that slide leaves your hand to slam back forward....you'll likely be staring down the business end of the ugliest Glock 22 you've ever seen. Dear God, please don't touch the trigger, the slide or the safety. In reality....in this state, no....you're not obligated to tell a LEO you have a firearm on you. But I don't know a LEO that the first question they ask isn't "do you have any weapons in your vehicle?" What does it hurt to tell them? I'd prefer that pink slip come along with the DL. The mere fact that you offered the information will no doubt relieve a lot of tension. A crook probably isn't going to advertise that info. Please use your head and understand that probably next to getting shot myself....the last thing I would want to happen is shoot an innocent civilian because of a mistake or misunderstanding. All LEO's are not jacka$$es. Just my opinion and preference.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    "For my safety....and yours"....before that slide leaves your hand to slam back forward....you'll likely be staring down the business end of the ugliest Glock 22 you've ever seen. Dear God, please don't touch the trigger, the slide or the safety. In reality....in this state, no....you're not obligated to tell a LEO you have a firearm on you. But I don't know a LEO that the first question they ask isn't "do you have any weapons in your vehicle?" What does it hurt to tell them? I'd prefer that pink slip come along with the DL. The mere fact that you offered the information will no doubt relieve a lot of tension. A crook probably isn't going to advertise that info. Please use your head and understand that probably next to getting shot myself....the last thing I would want to happen is shoot an innocent civilian because of a mistake or misunderstanding. All LEO's are not jacka$. Just my opinion and preference.

I understand your feelings, but not every officer acts with a level head, especially when some of them are unaware of the law. Do you disarm and field strip weapons?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    People here have had them disclose, disarmed, then returned field-stripped.

Ever tried to unlock the slide on a Beretta or Taurus 92 to soon and move the slide, it jambs and the only way to fix it is to send it in. I watched my friend do this to his Beretta 92 and he did just that.

If my handgun is ever field stripped and handed back to me, you better be sure that I'll be at his dept. the next day with a request that HE is the one who puts it back together, and if he screws it up, they just bought themselves a handgun.

I could handle the rounds out of the magazine and in a bag, but to leave me in a situation where I'm unprotected while having to reassemble my weapon, totally uncalled for.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I understand your feelings, but not every officer acts with a level head, especially when some of them are unaware of the law. Do you disarm and field strip weapons?
    If you're going to remain in your vehicle I want them left in the holster if you're not acting antsy and not intoxicated. If I do ask you for your weapon I'll ask you to bring it directly in front of you muzzle facing the dash. It will come out the window in the exact same manner....so no one gets muzzle swept. If you're acting like a fool or coming out of the vehicle or I have to step away from your vehicle they will be immediately locked in my trunk until our business is complete. You'll get it back in one piece, unloaded. I'll ask you to holster the weapon....then you'll get the magazine or ammo back. And I'll ask you not to reload the weapon until I leave. I believe in treating everyone the same....like I haven't found the body in the trunk yet. And I'm not acting arrogant or self-righteous. Had I ever pulled over Ted Bundy, I'd have never taken him for a mass murderer. Nor would I have guessed that Jeffrey Daumer cut up and ate his acquaintances. But I always presume they could. The same as my neighbor that I've known for 20 years could either accidently or purposely shoot me....given the right circumstances and frame of mind.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If you're going to remain in your vehicle I want them left in the holster if you're not acting antsy and not intoxicated. If I do ask you for your weapon I'll ask you to bring it directly in front of you muzzle facing the dash. It will come out the window in the exact same manner....so no one gets muzzle swept. If you're acting like a fool or coming out of the vehicle or I have to step away from your vehicle they will be immediately locked in my trunk until our business is complete. You'll get it back in one piece, unloaded. I'll ask you to holster the weapon....then you'll get the magazine or ammo back. And I'll ask you not to reload the weapon until I leave. I believe in treating everyone the same....like I haven't found the body in the trunk yet. And I'm not acting arrogant or self-righteous. Had I ever pulled over Ted Bundy, I'd have never taken him for a mass murderer. Nor would I have guessed that Jeffrey Daumer cut up and ate his acquaintances. But I always presume they could. The same as my neighbor that I've known for 20 years could either accidently or purposely shoot me....given the right circumstances and frame of mind.

And that's how it should be handled IMO, but not all officers are like that, and not many will follow that protocol. Letting the person handle their gun, or keep it all together, are not followed by some officers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Well said. Thank you for your consideration and respect. Rep added.

Blessings,
    Bill

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I have a long time IMPD friend who, while together, both carrying (he in plain clothes, personal vehicle and weapon), we were stopped for speeding. It sort of went down like this;
    We pulled over and stopped, as the officer approached my buddy said to me " don't make any moves" The officer asked if we knew why he had pulled us over. My friend replied with his hands locked to the wheel " I'm a police officer and I am carrying a loaded handgun, this is my friend on the passenger side, he is also carrying a loaded handgun". The officer replied with " okay, is everyone legal with permit to carry and drivers license or ID ? " He replied "Yes" He asked to see my friends ID and drivers license after explaining we had been stopped for speeding. He returned his info and handed him a warning ticket and said "have a nice day". I asked my friend " I thought you got out of those sort of things ? " He replied "we just did, I was just hoping not to get shot by a jumpy rookie".

So I think I perfer to offer the info up front.

He did offer one other piece of advice; If you ever get in a "non shooting gun tiff" and leave the scene after playing "show and tell" (his words). Unload your weapon ASAP, it's the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor concerning pointing a firearm.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a long time IMPD friend who, while together, both carrying (he in plain clothes, personal vehicle and weapon), we were stopped for speeding. It sort of went down like this;
    We pulled over and stopped, as the officer approached my buddy said to me " don't make any moves" The officer asked if we knew why he had pulled us over. My friend replied with his hands locked to the wheel " I'm a police officer and I am carrying a loaded handgun, this is my friend on the passenger side, he is also carrying a loaded handgun". The officer replied with " okay, is everyone legal with permit to carry and drivers license or ID ? " He replied "Yes" He asked to see my friends ID and drivers license after explaining we had been stopped for speeding. He returned his info and handed him a warning ticket and said "have a nice day". I asked my friend " I thought you got out of those sort of things ? " He replied "we just did, I was just hoping not to get shot by a jumpy rookie".

So I think I perfer to offer the info up front.

He did offer one other piece of advice; If you ever get in a "non shooting gun tiff" and leave the scene after playing "show and tell" (his words). Unload your weapon ASAP, it's the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor concerning pointing a firearm.

So your friend, a police officer, thought that telling a rookie may get him shot? Yeah, that seems like a great reason to tell them :dunno:

As to the "non-shooting tiff", what does that mean? You can draw and point a gun at someone if you feel your life or a third party's life was in danger, so why would you want to unload? That seems liek a good way to look suspicious too :dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Stupid but true.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom