Tropical Minnesota

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Is this the stage where I am supposed to be more afraid, surrender more Liberty, and pray to state for salvation?

Nah, that won't work.
    I do what I want but be smart about it and don't catch it.
    A young guy (15 years old) on my grandson's hockey team caught it and has been in intensive care a while now. That is pretty unusual but it does happen. Instead of the state, I just pray for him.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    [h=1]Congress agrees to $900 billion Covid stimulus deal after months of failed negotiations[/h]
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/20/mcc...to-900-billion-coronavirus-stimulus-deal.html

maxresdefault.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    He had tweeted he was Not going to sign the budget bill (this cvirus bill is attached to that bill) cause it did not have what he wanted (something vs China, the not renaming of mil bases)

I thought that was a different bill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Its only advice, not a mandate.

Know quite a few folks who do things against their better judgment

If the experts telling us we should stay home, don't stay home, it really makes one question their expertise. At least it makes it look like elites get a different set of guidelines. Will the angry mob of Karens consider her deplorable for doing what the deplorables do?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    GC CORONER CHALLENGES STATE ON COVID DEATH NUMBERS

...“The State says that Grand County has five COVID deaths. In researching the numbers, I found the state is counting two deaths that died of gunshot wounds as COVID deaths [referencing the recent murder-suicide victims from Fraser].

“When I questioned the numbers,” the Coroner continued, “the response I got was ‘if they died in the 30 days of their positive test, they are counted as a death among a COVID case.’

“Although the decedents did test positive for COVID, that is not what they died from. The two cases were autopsied, and the cause of death was listed as ‘blunt force Injuries due to a gunshot wound.’ Nowhere did the pathologist say COVID was the cause of death.

“I believe that this is false and very misleading,” concluded Bock. “If we want the public to trust and believe the information being released, we need to make sure it is accurate.

“I realize in the scope of things that Grand County’s numbers are small. Although these numbers are small this ‘error’ creates a 40% increase in our death total. That is not an insignificant amount. How many cases like this does it take to inflate the numbers?...

The Coroner's math isn't very good here. Adding 2 deaths to 3 is a 67% increase in the death total, not a 40% increase.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Is that a feature or a bug?

With most viruses (virii?), that is a feature. They mutate to become more contagious (spread more easily), but in doing so, they become less deadly. The two are correlated, since the more hosts a virus kills, the fewer hosts it can use to transmit itself. I'm pretty sure that's why the normal lifecycle of a typical virus is what it is.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With most viruses (virii?), that is a feature. They mutate to become more contagious (spread more easily), but in doing so, they become less deadly. The two are correlated, since the more hosts a virus kills, the fewer hosts it can use to transmit itself. I'm pretty sure that's why the normal lifecycle of a typical virus is what it is.

Just a quick follow up to this, the mutations that are part of a virus lifecycle can also render them less deadly/transmissible. There's a randomness component to it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just a quick follow up to this, the mutations that are part of a virus lifecycle can also render them less deadly/transmissible. There's a randomness component to it.

Might seem random, but there's always a cause and effect kind of thing. That it seems random is due to our lack of knowledge of all the complex things reacting to other complex things.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Might seem random, but there's always a cause and effect kind of thing. That it seems random is due to our lack of knowledge of all the complex things reacting to other complex things.

Yes, especially when someone is deliberately assisting the mutation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

That's a bit of a distinction without a difference. :) Changes happen that we can't identify a "selection" reason for.

The research recognizes variations of "spontaneous mutation" or "random genetic drift" for virus mutations.

Although, to your point, there's an evolution-based reason for randomness: when a virus lands in a new host, it needs to figure out the best strategy to survive. In that context, achieving a high level of genetic diversity - at random - actually help figure out effective strategies.

Either way, there's alot of peer-review articles on the subject.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well...a suggestion is not a mandate. I take issue with those who mandate something then don't do it.

During this whole pandemic, I have seen multiple examples from the top of the administration down tell us they think things are a good idea but they don't do them. Half the time we are talking about risk management (when we talk about our actions), then we want absolutes when someone else says something and does something different.

"I believe masks have some effect". "I don't always wear a mask". Those things don't necessarily equate to hypocrisy.

Who hasn't said to themselves "I knew I shouldn't have done that."? Now does that make most of us question our expertise? Nope. It proves to us we were right all along.

I can tell you to maintain air pressure in your tires or one is going to blow. Does that mean if I walk outside one day and see a low tire on the car I might not try to get it to the service station?

If the experts telling us we should stay home, don't stay home, it really makes one question their expertise. At least it makes it look like elites get a different set of guidelines. Will the angry mob of Karens consider her deplorable for doing what the deplorables do?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom