• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One thing to tell people to go away... they don't know everything about everybody. FWIW, my barber cannot wear a mask because of breathing difficulties, COPD, etc. Dad, ditto.

Another thing entirely to intimate something physical if someone "Karens" you about not wearing a mask. They aren't right, but IMO, neither are you.

And, speaking of "true believers", there are at least two sorts.

Jetta suis Texas?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure the vaccine is fine, it's not like the CEO is refusing to take it or anything.

SBGk43f.png

Oh, by all means. You first.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    There is a bi-partisan $980B 2nd covid relief bill in Congress. It includes an extension of the federal $300/week unemployment pay (in addition to the states' unemployment pay).
    Unemployment for the US is currently at 6.6%. For comparison, unemployment was at 9.9% in Nov, 2009. In 2009 Congress extended unemployment eligibility to 99 weeks but there wasn't any additional money paid beyond the states' packages.
    What happened in the last 11 years that created the political will to give additional benefits? Especially after the spring relief package gave $600/week and actually increased the income of many of the people receiving the benefit. Individual income was up 40% in April despite unemployment hitting 14.7%.
    With a $30T federal debt and monthly spending at twice the level of tax revenue why are we suddenly so generous with new give aways that we didn't consider necessary in previous economic crisis?
    Have we decided that no one wil ever suffer financial setbacks? Will we subsidize the losses in the next stock market collapse?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Part of what's new with unemployment due to COVID is that certain jobs within the service industry have been completely shut down. In 2009 the economy was in the tank, but if you worked at a shaky airline, hotel or restaurant you could at least try and make a lateral move to another company. These days if you live in a blue state that's locked down you don't have that option. They literally aren't allowing people to work.

Democrats have built a very unified effort to get as many people plugged into the system as they possibly can. They know that if they can get people reliant on government assistance then it's very hard to get them off of it, either because people are complacent when they get free ****, or because there is no political will to cut funding to these programs once they've grown.

Here is a real world example. Every single kid in my child's school district is eligible for free lunches because of COVID. there is no means testing to determine which families need help. Everyone gets it if they want it. And this is in Hamilton Southeastern Schools, in one of the most affluent counties in the state.

But now the precedent and funding has been set. Any attempt to reduce funding for this post COVID will almost certainly be met with screams from Democrats to the effect of, "republicans want to kick starving kids off of food stamps."

Once we expand the size of government it almost never shrinks back. Politicians either get on board with growing government, or they're labeled as hateful, selfish bigots who hate poor people.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Just like the free lunch program there is no means test for the additional $300/wk.
    The payment may increase your income and discourage you seeking a new job, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

I too am bothered by the proliferation of school freebies. Aid to Dependent Children (commonly called Welfare) was established to provide basic necessities to low income children.
    Then it was duplicated with SNAP (food stamps), payments based on family size. Then it was triplicated with free school lunches.
    Then it was quadrupled with summer lunches when school wasn't in session. Then quintupled with covid programs to provide breakfast and lunch delivered to their homes.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just like the free lunch program there is no means test for the additional $300/wk.
    The payment may increase your income and discourage you seeking a new job, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

I too am bothered by the proliferation of school freebies. Aid to Dependent Children (commonly called Welfare) was established to provide basic necessities to low income children.
    Then it was duplicated with SNAP (food stamps), payments based on family size. Then it was triplicated with free school lunches.
    Then it was quadrupled with summer lunches when school wasn't in session. Then quintupled with covid programs to provide breakfast and lunch delivered to their homes.

People think I'm a monster, cause I've said the same thing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    BugI02 said:
    I have watched you mirror the shift of the MSM from death rates to case rates, and will stand by the assertion. What information you choose to present is also vulnerable to bias, as is likewise true for me - but I have no need to 'prove' Sweden's path to be right or wrong, I'm content to wait and see. Shall we look back at this after Thanksgiving? Will that 10 week span be enough to exhibit the 4 to 6 week lag?

SheepDog4Life said:
    Sure, and I've said that multiple times already, let's wait and see... it is something to absolutely look at and keep an eye on... and my math puts 4 weeks out at Dec 1.

Also note that Sweden is about to impose, for them, pretty severe restrictions. So would you also agree that if 2-3 weeks after those take effect we see a deceleration of cases, that those measures work? With close contact/household spread, even shutting down or mostly shutting down community spread, means it takes a bit longer to "flatten the curve"... about that same Dec 1 time by my math.

And note that I specifically used the word deceleration.. many who don't grock math muse why this doesn't reverse course in a day or in two weeks. For the same reason a model rocket keeps going up (but at a slowing speed) when it's rocket burns out... it doesn't instantly stop in mid-air and fall to the ground.

SheepDog4Life said:
    BTW, Sweden appears to be reporting about 2 weeks in arrears... what was 1-3 deaths per day now appears to be in the low teens for those same dates two weeks ago... so it doesn't appear that their Dec 1 reporting will be accurate until Dec 15th, but they have what appears to be the start of an upward trend, something like a 5-6 fold increase over a 2-3 week period.

Case rate growth decelerated after November 14th - the elbow in the curve. For awhile there, it looked like case rate had plateaued at the end of November, first of December, but it looks like a significant spike after that... we'll have to wait and see if that was a "blip" or a renewed surge.

8FPJpvY.png

And it appears the Swedish death rate peaked on Nov 30th at 59/day (7-day moving average), about 30x's the 1-3 deaths per day they saw for months.

DJ5JOs1.png

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Indiana COVID Statistics

There was a definite spike in cases from Thanksgiving, but the good news is that it appears cases are falling again, so hopefully just a onetime spike or "blip" and not a renewed surge of ever higher cases.

uuUEllm.png

Hospital admission rates appear to be flat and census count has either plateaued or peaked... whichever it is, it is no longer the exponential increases seen from late September thru mid-November, so that's good.

bvMTsUx.png

kWjXSSF.png

ICU seems to be plateaued in the 40-46% range, i.e. flat.

kKjUoXV.png

Daily deaths continue to rise, but at a slower pace, with the current (avg) peak at 72/day (~500 hoosiers per week dying). Positivity shows the same post-Thankgiving spike that cases did, but appears to be going down, which tends to reinforce that cases have indeed peaked for the time being.

J9dVpbD.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks SD4L. Just as another unfrozen (well, refrozen today) number observation, we remain in exponential growth of deaths (nationally), running ~138 days to double. Based on the rolling 5 day average, we're going to stay in exponential growth through the new year.

We're also likely to hit ~500k dead people at the one year anniversary of the lockdowns, which I'm marking at the ides of March.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am so sick and tired of the continued

Covid Covid Covid COVID over sensationalization of it. If the media was concerned about what's going on in this country and put 10% of the effort on reporting what is really going on, there would be a totally different narrative and Trump would be re-elected and given credit for fast tracking what was said could not be done.

Could you imagine Killary being in charge and how un-hinged she would have went off faced with this.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am so sick and tired of the continued

Covid Covid Covid COVID over sensationalization of it. If the media was concerned about what's going on in this country and put 10% of the effort on reporting what is really going on, there would be a totally different narrative and Trump would be re-elected and given credit for fast tracking what was said could not be done.

Could you imagine Killary being in charge and how un-hinged she would have went off faced with this.

Don't worry after biden takes office you'll likely see much less media sensationalism regarding covid.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya SD4L - looks like today's ISDH numbers show a significant drop to only 11% of ICU beds available. I thought it had been hanging around 20% for awhile.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom