• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What about the situation where measures were tried and the virus still spread? That seems like a direct indicator that the measure did not work, at least not with 100% effectiveness.

None of these measures were ever going to "stop" the spread. It's only ever been about slowing the transmission rate.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    None of these measures were ever going to "stop" the spread. It's only ever been about slowing the transmission rate.

It is kinda tough to know if the measures are even doing that. I think physical distancing is doing the most to slow it down but there isn't much comparison available to confirm anything.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cynically, I think we flattened the curve for about 5 months - June to November. Yeah, there was a little bump in the middle, but not much.

And now, we're into the growth curve that we were destined to hit. I know 3 families within my close circle of friends who are in the middle of symptomatic positive cases.

The only good news is that we might have fought something like a rear guard action long enough for reinforcements (in the form of vaccines) to save many that would otherwise have been lost.

Sorry. Its been a Monday.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Cynically, I think we flattened the curve for about 5 months - June to November. Yeah, there was a little bump in the middle, but not much.

And now, we're into the growth curve that we were destined to hit. I know 3 families within my close circle of friends who are in the middle of symptomatic positive cases.

The only good news is that we might have fought something like a rear guard action long enough for reinforcements (in the form of vaccines) to save many that would otherwise have been lost.

Sorry. Its been a Monday.

Slow the transmission rate; learn more about it; develop treatments; develop vaccine. Of course, we can disagree with policy decisions that were made, but they were not (by and large) nonsensical. Also, people have a real difficultly discerning the difference between things that have an effect individually and those that can have a net effect if done society wide....or simply don't care. Decisions were based upon what they knew, or thought they knew, at the time. Sometimes it sucks to be a decision/policy maker.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Slow the transmission rate; learn more about it; develop treatments; develop vaccine. Of course, we can disagree with policy decisions that were made, but they were not (by and large) nonsensical. Also, people have a real difficultly discerning the difference between things that have an effect individually and those that can have a net effect if done society wide....or simply don't care. Decisions were based upon what they knew, or thought they knew, at the time. Sometimes it sucks to be a decision/policy maker.

Let anyone that needs it get the treatment Rudy Giuliani got, when a 70 something can bounce out after a couple days something must be working.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Let anyone that needs it get the treatment Rudy Giuliani got, when a 70 something can bounce out after a couple days something must be working.

I wonder if he ever REALLY had it. Just because they say so doesn't make it so.

I need to start a blog....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you are going to be that way about it, I wish you enough breathing difficulty to understand my point.

I have a wife that is susceptible to this kinda stuff so when I posted about going to stores requiring masks because it made her feel safe and that I would say something to folks that got in our way, I took a LOT of flack for it.

Now from reading your posts it seems you too have some health issues and concerns about wearing a mask. Now thats fine too. I don't recall threatening anyone's ability to breathe though or wishing my wife's health issues on anyone.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/scleroderma/symptoms-causes/syc-20351952

So I have to ask since our concerns are both health related, where would you fall on the spectrum if someone got in our personal space and I said something about it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a wife that is susceptible to this kinda stuff so when I posted about going to stores requiring masks because it made her feel safe and that I would say something to folks that got in our way, I took a LOT of flack for it.

Now from reading your posts it seems you too have some health issues and concerns about wearing a mask. Now thats fine too. I don't recall threatening anyone's ability to breathe though or wishing my wife's health issues on anyone.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/scleroderma/symptoms-causes/syc-20351952

So I have to ask since our concerns are both health related, where would you fall on the spectrum if someone got in our personal space and I said something about it?

I am so sick of this **** really don't care how the true believers go away as long as they go away.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    If you are going to be that way about it, I wish you enough breathing difficulty to understand my point
    I am so sick of this **** really don't care how the true believers go away as long as they go away.

One thing to tell people to go away... they don't know everything about everybody. FWIW, my barber cannot wear a mask because of breathing difficulties, COPD, etc. Dad, ditto.

Another thing entirely to intimate something physical if someone "Karens" you about not wearing a mask. They aren't right, but IMO, neither are you.

And, speaking of "true believers", there are at least two sorts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I hope you don't think we're arguing, because that pretty much aligns with what I've been saying (and what I think).

What has brought us to this point involves a combination of: ignorance about this virus at every level, including the science; complacency among the populace; and, bad luck.

No value judgment there, just... pessimism, I guess.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Some people should NOT be breathing.

Today the manager of an establishment which got added to my permanent GFY list insisted Holcomb rolled out fines for businesses which do nor enforce the mandate. I really don't know if it is the truth or not. I do know that I take the position that people who want to interfere with my breathing should not be breathing themselves.

You have more patience than I do. If Karen wants to interfere with my ability to breathe, her ability to breathe can be addressed.

Your point has evolved from passive, and understandable, to active, and unsupportable.

Just sayin'.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Sorry but I have zero regard for people who hold the functional position that I do not need to breathe.

I don't have any problem breathing so this is not my hill to die on. That being said I think we should have the freedom to choose our hill. Good luck and don't back down. :ingo:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm sure the vaccine is fine, it's not like the CEO is refusing to take it or anything.

SBGk43f.png

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sure the vaccine is fine, it's not like the CEO is refusing to take it or anything.

TBH, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The other headline could be, "Rich, white, executives takes vaccines away from working class front line."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

SBGk43f.png

TBH, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The other headline could be, "Rich, white, executives takes vaccines away from working class front line."

You both make good points. At the end of the day I intend to see how it works out for others before considering it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom