• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Gosh, I haven't had a Schroedinger's since flying into Madison in 1990. There was this schnitzel haus that had every brew you could imagine and half of them on tap. OK, just kidding. The thread with Schroedinger's cat got shut down. But the schnitzel haus coulda been a lot of fun if the physicists had gone somewhere else.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    99scrvf.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    What % of people transmitting Covid are showing signs of illness?

What percentage of people transmitting the common cold are showing signs of illness? Pretty much all of them. You are encouraged to stay home.

A study of Wuhan released just a few days ago, used contact tracing to determine that asymptomatic cases were unlikely to transmit the disease even to close contacts:
    Previous studies have shown that asymptomatic individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus were infectious, and might subsequently become symptomatic. Compared with symptomatic patients, asymptomatic infected persons generally have low quantity of viral loads and a short duration of viral shedding, which decrease the transmission risk of SARS-CoV-2. In the present study, virus culture was carried out on samples from asymptomatic positive cases, and found no viable SARS-CoV-2 virus. All close contacts of the asymptomatic positive cases tested negative, indicating that the asymptomatic positive cases detected in this study were unlikely to be infectious.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    What percentage of people transmitting the common cold are showing signs of illness? Pretty much all of them. You are encouraged to stay home.

A study of Wuhan released just a few days ago, used contact tracing to determine that asymptomatic cases were unlikely to transmit the disease even to close contacts:

That's not the same question or answer.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    How so? You asked "What % of people transmitting Covid are showing signs of illness?"

My answer is pretty much all of them considering that asymptomatic people are highly unlikely to be the ones spreading the diseases- even to close contacts.

I also addressed a secondary question because you reacted to that picture. Our nation is destroying it's own economy, many thousands of businesses and millions of people's lives with these lockdowns and restrictions that have never been used before in free countries. The cure is far worse than the disease.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How so? You asked "What % of people transmitting Covid are showing signs of illness?"

My answer is pretty much all of them considering that asymptomatic people are highly unlikely to be the ones spreading the diseases- even to close contacts.

I also addressed a secondary question because you reacted to that picture. Our nation is destroying it's own economy, many thousands of businesses and millions of people's lives with these lockdowns and restrictions that have never been used before in free countries. The cure is far worse than the disease.

You are wasting you efforts my friend.
    Just saying.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Governors and public health aren't going to like that study lol.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Whether or not we should lock down is another debate lockdowns have a lot of different definitions.

As far as why my question and your response are not connected there are two reasons

The first reason is that in medical terms asymptomatic is not the same thing as pre-symptomatic. The second problem is that even when we're talking about asymptomatic people a small percentage of them could theoretically be spreading quite a bit of disease even if most of them don't spread it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The cure is far worse than the disease.
    We don't actually know that.

For all we know, unmitigated spread would have killed millions AND shut down the economy because people would've avoided going to work because... death.

But, contrary to some opinion here and in public, it is not a binary choice. Neither the US nor Indiana really went into a shutdown. There were harsher restrictions, yes, but lots of people were considered "essential."

Since then, most policy people believe we understand how to target restrictions to minimize the effect on the economy and maximize the mitigation of the disease. (I'm not completely convinced and the numbers reveal that may not be true.) So, I don't hear anyone in Indiana talking about a March-like level of restrictions on everything. Even this odd blue-orange-red thing isn't as onerous as what was in place in the Spring.

I hope we can set aside the hyperbole and focus on striking the right balance. This is not an all or nothing proposition and never really was.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We don't actually know that.

For all we know, unmitigated spread would have killed millions AND shut down the economy because people would've avoided going to work because... death.

But, contrary to some opinion here and in public, it is not a binary choice. Neither the US nor Indiana really went into a shutdown. There were harsher restrictions, yes, but lots of people were considered "essential."

Since then, most policy people believe we understand how to target restrictions to minimize the effect on the economy and maximize the mitigation of the disease. (I'm not completely convinced and the numbers reveal that may not be true.) So, I don't hear anyone in Indiana talking about a March-like level of restrictions on everything. Even this odd blue-orange-red thing isn't as onerous as what was in place in the Spring.

I hope we can set aside the hyperbole and focus on striking the right balance. This is not an all or nothing proposition and never really was.

You have read the survival percentages for this bug yes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Whether or not we should lock down is another debate lockdowns have a lot of different definitions.

As far as why my question and your response are not connected there are two reasons

The first reason is that in medical terms asymptomatic is not the same thing as pre-symptomatic. The second problem is that even when we're talking about asymptomatic people a small percentage of them could theoretically be spreading quite a bit of disease even if most of them don't spread it.

If the Wuhan study is true, I think the second point, while possibly true, does not sound impacting enough to worry about it too much. The pre-symptomatic is worrisome enough.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You know that the vast majority of deaths are among the elderly, yes?

With the mitigation in effect, yes.

You know that every demographic has suffered deaths, yes? And that was with mitigation in place.

We don't know what the death rate among the non-elderly would be with a lack of mitigation.

Oh, and lest it go without saying, sacrificing the elderly may be a heartlessly clinical logic, but it is not one that a majority in our society supports.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom