• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Used to be, that people didn't even have to lock their doors... vehicle or home (Yes, I am that old).

Then, it got to where you did have to lock things up.... due to our society's moral decline.

As time went on, it got even worse. You had to secure things aggressively and install alarms. Theory was, if you made stealing something "too much like work", the thieves would go elsewhere. That worked, for several decades.

These days, the f'ing thieves make it their 'job'.... kinda like self-employment. And they will go to extremes to take your stuff.

But I suppose ALL of this evolution of theft..... is the OP's fault!?

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This thread...started out with a member needing help and went down hill because of one asinine comment. sigh.

Isn't that how it generally happens on INGO? It is a bummer that the OPs gun wasn't recovered but I can't in any way keep from flaming someone who's going to be so bold as to say it's the OPs fault. Blame it on that chromosome I'm cursed with :dunno:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Used to be, that people didn't even have to lock their doors... vehicle or home (Yes, I am that old).

Then, it got to where you did have to lock things up.... due to our society's moral decline.

As time went on, it got even worse. You had to secure things aggressively and install alarms. Theory was, if you made stealing something "too much like work", the theives would go elsewhere. That worked, for several decades.

These days, the f'ing thieves make it their 'job'.... kinda like self-employment. And they will go to extremes to take your stuff.

But I suppose ALL of this evolution of theft..... is the OP's fault!?

kinda like, its not fair he made it hard for others to steal from him?

would be ironic if the offender would be on welfare. if his job is stealing he should be tried for theft AND fraud, and whatever gun laws they can throw at him.

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Neither of the thugs that pulled their pieces on each other on my property were carrying Glocks.

Don't be surprised. There was a thread on INGO a few days back where someone posted a video of some youtube wannabe star saying that if you don't secure your firearms, you're part of the problem. The first dozen or so posts were in total agreement.

So every time (it's two words) I step outside my door and leave my house, I should expect it to be burgled? Every time I walk in public, I have a reasonable expectation of being raped? Every time I go visit my rentals, I should expect a confrontation with someone intent on murdering me? (Okay, depending on which one, that might be true.)

Does not compute. At all.

What's secure? How many layers of locks and cover are enough to satisfy you? What if they steal the whole effing vehicle? Would that be negligence on the part of the owner?

How is the OP responsible for someone else's behavior?

The hell it is. It's an extension of your "logic" to other areas that, if you had a valid argument, would stand up to scrutiny. Since it fails, so does your argument.

Locked and out of view is irresponsible? What exactly would you have him do?

Oh, I get it. You think there's actually a point where firearms are free from criminal access.

LOL, situational awareness is being aware of your surroundings. How in the world does that translate into ASSUMING your car will be burgled? Hey, I see the 3 youths, the pair of season citizens, and the family of four in the restaurant I'm currently in. Yep, that's sufficient reason to believe my car's about to get jacked. :rolleyes:

No, they don't have access if they have to break in.

Curious if a house with all the locks engaged is considered secure in your mind. And just how would you recommend making it secure so as to be absolutely FREE FROM DANGER OR ATTACK. Since you seem to be the expert.

Ahhh, classic deflecting.

Basically, if I can defeat your lock with a tiny piece of porcelain, it's not secure. Then I have access. If you can get to an item, no matter what you have to do to get to it, you have access.

And no, a house with all the locks engaged is not secure. You have merely put an obstacle between you and the BG. They still have access to the inside. A lot of people are fine with that. I am. But in no way is it secure. The things I want to make more secure are in a 1 ton safe with 5" thick steel walls and door. You're not getting into that without dynamite or sophisticated cutting torches. But it's still not totally secure. It IS doing everything you can to secure your items. OP didn't even attempt the bare minimum. Are you guys still having trouble understanding the definition of secure?

So go ahead and start in with your bizzare/extreme "what if" questions that will further deflect from the fact that leaving something in your trunk is not "securing" it. But in truth, I would love, love, love to hear some info on why a car trunk is secure. Seeing how I can smash your window, hit the button, and be gone with everything in there in about 15-20 seconds, I don't think anybody can. Anybody?

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ahhh, classic deflecting.

Basically, if I can defeat your lock with a tiny piece of porcelain, it's not secure. Then I have access. If you can get to an item, no matter what you have to do to get to it, you have access.

And no, a house with all the locks engaged is not secure. You have merely put an obstacle between you and the BG. They still have access to the inside. A lot of people a fine with that. I am. The things I want to secure are in a 1 ton safe with 5" thick steel walls and door. You're not getting into that without dynamite or sophisticated cutting torches. Are you guys still having trouble understanding the definition of secure?

So go ahead and start in with your bizzare/extreme "what if" questions that will further deflect from the fact that leaving something in your trunk is not "securing" it. But in truth, I would love, love, love to hear some info on why a car trunk is secure. Seeing how I can smash your window, hit the button, and be gone with everything in there in about 15-20 seconds, I don't think anybody can. Anybody?

By that logic how is having a safe in your trunk secure?

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It's mind boggling how far some of you will go to avoid admitting leaving a firearm laying in your car, locked or not, is not secure. To borrow from your extremes, thats like saying leaving your firearm in a paper bag stapled shut on a picnic table in the park is "securing" your firearm.

Yeah, I'm going to say it. The reason we aren't ADMITTING THAT LEAVING A FIREARM LOCKED IN A CAR isn't secured, is because we don't agree with you. My locked car is SECURE. My locked house is SECURE. And I don't care about your dictionary definitions.

Can someone break in & steal something anyways? Absolutely. If someone wanted to get into a safe, could they? Absolutely.

Are you just an internet troll here to criticise responsible gun owners? Well, that's yet to be determined, but it's not looking too good at this point.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I'm going to say it. The reason we aren't ADMITTING THAT LEAVING A FIREARM LOCKED IN A CAR isn't secured, is because we don't agree with you. My locked car is SECURE. My locked house is SECURE. And I don't care about your dictionary definitions.

Can someone break in & steal something anyways? Absolutely. If someone wanted to get into a safe, could they? Absolutely.

Are you just an internet troll here to criticise responsible gun owners? Well, that's yet to be determined, but it's not looking too good at this point.

I would rep you if I could!

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Cause it's near impossible to get into, or unmounted without some heavy duty tools and a LOT of time. I can see you apologists and excuse makers will never admit that a fellow gun owner was irresponsible or........ OMG! the dreaded Wrong!!!

Funny thing is, you think you're helping the cause, when in actuality, you've already sunk the ship. Good work guys!

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Cause it's near impossible to get into, or unmounted without some heavy duty tools and a LOT of time. I can see you apologists and excuse makers will never admit that a fellow gun owner was irresponsible or........ OMG! the dreaded Wrong!!!

Funny thing is, you think you're helping the cause, when in actuality, you've already sunk the ship. Good work guys!

You'd certainly like to believe that wouldn't you? I do believe you have just revealed the real reason you are hanging out on this forum! :rolleyes:

Just because you say it, doesn't make it so.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    RiverParker is taking a morally superior stance based on what he personally feels is the proper level of protection for a firearm. He is not taking into account the fact that this is completely subjective. If I feel that his small safe mounted to the flimsy sheet metal of a moveable vehicle is inadequate, then it would be perfectly reasonable, within the frame of his logic, to deride him in the unfortunate circumstance that his gun were ever stolen from said removable safe. He also apparently feels that because it hasn't been stolen yet (by sheer dumb luck) then he must be providing the proper level of protection and it would be nearly impossible for someone to pry that little safe out of his trunk. Further, the feelings of the family members of a slain victim shot by his gun, stolen from a locked safe, will not be any different than if their family member had been slain with the OP's gun. The actions of the criminal will be their concern, not the ease with which they stole the gun from a locked vehicle.

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    Cause a lot of people agree with me, but are afraid of being jumped on. And no, I'm not for the AWB. It's idiotic. My point is if it weren't for a legal gun owner not securing their weapons, we wouldn't even be talking about an AWB. I'm all for the 2nd, and think antbody that can legally own a firearm and wants to, should. Responsibly. But we still have people that won't/don't practice safe gun ownership. Plain and simple.

Like the alarmists like to keep asking "What? I'm supposed to have all my guns locked in a safe where I can't get to them when I need to?!?!" No, don't be an idiot. But, if you are not in control of those guns, then yes, they should be locked in a safe. When you're at home - by all means, have your safe unlocked, door wide open with every weapon loaded to the max, cocked and ready to fight off the hoardes of BG's a lot of the alarmists like to imagine are moments away from storming their compound. When you leave your home, lock 'em up. It's easy really.

The OP in this thread secured his firearm behind an 1/8" piece of glass! And everybody is giving him a pass on that. BS, it's extremely irresponsible. Gun owners that careless are the ones responsible for the current uproar for gun control. Most (almost all really) gun crimes are commited with stolen firearms. Firearms that should never have been stolen in the first place. If you're going to travel with your firearm to places that don't allow you to carry, then you have a trunk safe bolted to the inside of your trunk. Simple. They have some really decent ones. The one I have bolts up under the inside between the trunk hinges. Barely noticeable, especially to a thief who's trying to get in and get out as quickly as possible. My car gets broken into at least once a month outside my house. Not once has there been any evidence that they touched the safe or even noticed it for that matter.

What I'm trying to say is: Criminals gonna crim. It sucks! and it shouldn't happen. But it does. Gun owners are all worried about the BG's attacking them, hence the reason they own the firearm in the first place. So why aren't more gun owners equally worried about BG's getting their guns? An ounce of prevention would have saved us ALL a giant headache. Trust me, I'm sick to my stomach over the AWB. Seriously. Last year I gave my AR to my nephew for his 21st B-day. Been planning on getting another one (I gave it to him cause it had a 20" bbl, I wanted something shorter). Now it doesn't look like thats going to happen. So yeah, I'm sick over this.

In the end, we need to put as much thought into retaining our guns and keeping them out of the hands of BG's as we do into practicing "situational awareness" and tactics and training.

A THIEF broke into a secured container and STOLE another persons property! In my opinion no different from breaking in a home or a safe! I am sure that the OP did not leave the firearm in the dash with a sign advertising that he wanted some dirtbag to help themself. I disagree with your opinions and I feel you picked an inapropriate time to voice it! The OP was violated by being robbed and you kicked him while he was down!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sign a waiver and bring your car over with your firearm properly secured as you see fit inside the vehicle.

I'm sure my plasma torch will get me to it so obviously it's not secure.

Put it in a safe bolted to the floor in your basement ... again, let me get my plasma torch in there and I'll get into your safe so obviously your safe isn't secure.

You may want to look up the word "reasonable".

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    RiverParker is taking a morally superior stance based on what he personally feels is the proper level of protection for a firearm. He is not taking into account the fact that this is completely subjective. If I feel that his small safe mounted to the flimsy sheet metal of a moveable vehicle is inadequate, then it would be perfectly reasonable, within the frame of his logic, to deride him in the unfortunate circumstance that his gun were ever stolen from said removable safe. He also apparently feels that because it hasn't been stolen yet (by sheer dumb luck) then he must be providing the proper level of protection and it would be nearly impossible for someone to pry that little safe out of his trunk. Further, the feelings of the family members of a slain victim shot by his gun, stolen from a locked safe, will not be any different than if their family member had been slain with the OP's gun. The actions of the criminal will be their concern, not the ease with which they stole the gun from a locked vehicle.

So what RiverParker is actually saying is that the harder the gun is to steal in the first place the
    more it absolves him from any guilt if a criminal shoots little jimmy in the face?

He and the criminal could have a clear conscious in the scenario!

I think he would agree. :yesway:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

Kinda sounds to me like you're suggesting that if we don't have a gun safe in the trunk of our vehicles then we're irresponsible gun owners. Let's make it even harder for criminals to get our guns even though they can still get into the safe given time and the proper tools. I guess it's kind of like restricting magazine capacity. Let's make it even harder for the bad guys to kill people even though they get still get high cap mags if they have the contacts and the money.

Once you start holding a victim accountable for the actions of a criminal, you have started down a very slippery slope. If he had only locked his gun in a safe it wouldn't have been stolen. If he hadn't been walking in a bad neighborhood at night he wouldn't have been robbed. If she hadn't been alone in a skimpy dress she wouldn't have been raped. If she hadn't opened her mouth and smarted off her husband wouldn't have shattered her jaw and put her in the hospital. The criminals are the ones to blame. We can all "what if" to our heart's content but the bottom line is that a criminal act is not the fault of the victim.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Irrational posts like this are the reason why some gun owners are referred to as "nuts". Everytime you park your car you should have a reasonable expectation that it's going to get broken into, due to the prevalence of car burglaries, and you should take the neccessary precautions.

It's not about fault. Why do you morons keep going on about fault? It's NOT about being right or wrong. It's about being responsible.

So if your house or apartment, or mom's basement, gets broken into when you're not there, it'll be your fault. With all the B&E going on these days, you should really expect your house to be broken into and take the necessary precautions to prevent it, right? Like boarding up the windows on the ground floor or installing bars, and a 500 pound steel-reinforced front door, no sliding glass door in the back...

if you don't do these things, then really it's your fault if you come home and find everything gone.

Oh... and calling us all morons is a quick way to get banned.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys, go look at all of RP's posts. The dude is a troll and a fire starter with a severe superiority complex. Here are just a few of the gems he's left us in his short time here:

"Hmm...... Kinda sounds like this place. I get threatened with everything from being banned to physical violence when I point out somebody being an immature, paranoid crybaby."

"My god it's amazing how childish and petty you guys are."

"So an imaginary being that lives in the clouds gave you the right to carry a firearm huh? Well that explains a lot. In that case, a magic unicorn gave me the right to say people like you are what is wrong with society."

"Well, looks like all the paranoid nuts here were wrong!! Who wants to be the first to step up and admit it? Anyone?"

"It's mind boggling how far outside common sense and reality most of you will go just to make a disparaging comment about the President."

" I hope you feel really really stupid now. :laugh:"

"Funny thing is, you think you're helping the cause, when in actuality, you've already sunk the ship. Good work guys!" This I think is the most revealing post he has made. He does not view himself as part of the gun owning community, but has ascended to a level of moral consciousness obviously above us!

.......AND LAST, BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST OF HIS QUALITY POSTS.........

""Well..... I'm probably gonna regret this, but, I'd suggest a Hi-Point"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom