• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    First off, namecalling is a reaction to being wrong. I will leave it at that.

Secondly, if the car is locked. and the firearm is out of sight, it is secured.
    You can't just assume your car is going to be broken into, that's irrational. Taking the time to lock the doors and keep valuables out of sight is rational. It appears to me the OP took a reasonable course of action and you want to blame him for some douchebag stealing someone else's stuff.

From the looks of things the guy broke in and opened the trunk. Perhaps you should not make so many callous statements and assumptions next time :)

Namecalling is a reaction to being frustrated. Am I'm very frustrated. I'm tired of having other people carelessness infringe on my rights. Now, deflecting (comparing this to getting raped, or home invasions, playing the "what if" game, etc), which I'm seeing a lot of here, IS a sign of being wrong. But again, it's not about being right or wrong. It's about being responsible. The OP wasn't wrong in what he did, he was irresponsible in securing his firearm.

Your second point. If your car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, Then you're car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, it's not secure. And really? Assuming your car will be broken into is irrational? I thought it was called situational awareness. As in, if I leave something I own out in public, I'm going to go ahead and be aware that anybody has access to it in that situation. And do my absolute best to secure it.

Just to make sure we're on the same page about the word "secure" here.

Secure
    adj. se·cur·er, se·cur·est
    1. Free from danger or attack: a secure fortress.

2. Free from risk of loss; safe: Her papers were secure in the vault.

3. Free from the risk of being intercepted or listened to by unauthorized persons: Only one telephone line in the embassy was secure.

4. Free from fear, anxiety, or doubt.

5. a. Not likely to fail or give way; stable: a secure stepladder.
    b. Firmly fastened: a secure lock.

6. Reliable; dependable: secure investments.

7. Assured; certain

So, I guess by that definition, the OP's firearm was actually NOT secure. Leaving something behind a button protected by an 1/8" piece of glass doesn't really rise to that level in my mind.

And last, what "callous" statements, and/or assumptions did I make?

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Irrational posts like this are the reason why some gun owners are referred to as "nuts". Everytime you park your car you should have a reasonable expectation that it's going to get broken into, due to the prevalence of car burglaries, and you should take the neccessary precautions.

It's not about fault. Why do you morons keep going on about fault? It's NOT about being right or wrong. It's about being responsible.

Home burglaries are also prevalent. And yes, I lock my doors when I leave my house but I don't pull down steel shutters. I find it hilarious that you believe posts like mine are the reason we are considered "gun nuts" yet you have a reasonable expectation of having your vehicle broken into every time you park it. If that is that case then you perhaps you should consider moving to a safer area. I understand that break ins can and do happen anywhere, but if you are expecting it then either you live in a really bad area or we are not the ones who are nuts. Responsibility is great but how far can you take it and still be reasonable? As I asked before, if someone had stolen the OPs locked car would that make him irresponsible because he didn't own an armored car? If someone broke into his locked home would that make him irresponsible because he didn't have a 10 foot electrified barbed wire fence around his property? The only irresponsibility in this case was that of the criminals. The OP did nothing wrong.

And as far as referring to the rest of us as morons? Well I've seen first hand that hostility is the calling card of either a weak intellect or a weak argument.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Namecalling is a reaction to being frustrated. Am I'm very frustrated. I'm tired of having other people carelessness infringe on my rights.

Your second point. If your car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, Then you're car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, it's not secure. And really? Assuming your car will be broken into is irrational? I thought it was called situational awareness. As in, if I leave something I own out in public, I'm going to go ahead and be aware that anybody has access to it in that situation. And do my absolute best to secure it.

Secure

3. Free from the risk of being intercepted or listened to by unauthorized persons: Only one telephone line in the embassy was secure.

7. Assured; certain

So, I guess by that definition, the OP's firearm was actually NOT secure. Leaving something behind a button protected by an 1/8" piece of glass doesn't really rise to that level in my mind.

And last, what "callous" statements, and/or assumptions did I make?

By your logic, if someone gets shot with that Glock, it is his fault for not wearing a bulletproof vest. Why don't you find a more defensible way to nurse your superiority complex?

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Home burglaries are also prevalent. And yes, I lock my doors when I leave my house but I don't pull down steel shutters. I find it hilarious that you believe posts like mine are the reason we are considered "gun nuts" yet you have a reasonable expectation of having your vehicle broken into every time you park it. If that is that case then you perhaps you should consider moving to a safer area. I understand that break ins can and do happen anywhere, but if you are expecting it then either you live in a really bad area or we are not the ones who are nuts. Responsibility is great but how far can you take it and still be reasonable? As I asked before, if someone had stolen the OPs locked car would that make him irresponsible because he didn't own an armored car? If someone broke into his locked home would that make him irresponsible because he didn't have a 10 foot electrified barbed wire fence around his property? The only irresponsibility in this case was that of the criminals. The OP did nothing wrong.

And as far as referring to the rest of us as morons? Well I've seen first hand that hostility is the calling card of either a weak intellect or a weak argument.

But nobody DID steal his car (because car theft isn't as common), and nobody DID break into his home (because home break-ins are not as common). Why are you trying to deflect the situation at hand? You want to play the "what if" game? How about, 'what if he had secured his gun in a trunk safe?'

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    By your logic, if someone gets shot with that Glock, it is his fault for not wearing a bulletproof vest. Why don't you find a more defensible way to nurse your superiority complex?

It's mind boggling how far some of you will go to avoid admitting leaving a firearm laying in your car, locked or not, is not secure. To borrow from your extremes, thats like saying leaving your firearm in a paper bag stapled shut on a picnic table in the park is "securing" your firearm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am anything but a moron thank you very much.
    My gun is left locked in my truck often as I do not always carry it into a customers business for many reasons. Yes, I have had 2 stolen in the past. I knew who got them both and one was recovered by myself without LEO and it was a happy ending for me, not so much for the thief.
    How is it the responsibility of the OP if something bad happens with his Glock. Thieves said it was sold for drugs so a thug is wearing it as we speak. OP did not ask for his car to be broken into. Thieves are everywhere and they are not afraid anymore.

I got your moron wise guy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's mind boggling how far some of you will go to avoid admitting leaving a firearm laying in your car, locked or not, is not secure. To borrow from your extremes, thats like saying leaving your firearm in a paper bag stapled shut on a picnic table in the park is "securing" your firearm.

Never said this. Never implied this.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    BOOYAH! Indeed.

Although, the family members of the people murdered with your grossly negligently stored firearm will probably feel different. Just saying.

Are you F'ing kidding me!?

I have been on 'the net' long enough to have seen some really, really, really STUPID posts in my time. But you may have just won the MVP for ignorance, with this one. :noway: :noway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's great news, I like stories that have happy endings. Sucks you didn't get all your stuff back, but at least justice will be served (hopefully). I really doubt that the traded the Glock for drugs though, to a thug a Glock is the gun of all guns and is to nice to just flip for drugs. If anything they would have sold it outright, to some other thug, but more than likely they flipped it quick. Heck if they needed drugs that bad, they would have traded/sold those wheels along time ago.

Neither of the thugs that pulled their pieces on each other on my property were carrying Glocks.

I know y'all have taken care of him, but I have to jump in the pile. Grossly negligent?!? What is wrong with you. From the sounds of it, it was in a locked trunk of a vehicle. Probably the safest place it can be in a vehicle. Should he have kept it at home, completely field stripped, locked in its case which is locked in a safe, with the magazine and ammunition in a locked case in a Locked safe on the other side of the house? You astound me. I suppose the poor criminal should have charges dropped because he simply couldn't control himself, the weapon being so grossly negligently stored out of sight in a locked trunk and all.

Don't be surprised. There was a thread on INGO a few days back where someone posted a video of some youtube wannabe star saying that if you don't secure your firearms, you're part of the problem. The first dozen or so posts were in total agreement.

Irrational posts like this are the reason why some gun owners are referred to as "nuts". Everytime you park your car you should have a reasonable expectation that it's going to get broken into, due to the prevalence of car burglaries, and you should take the neccessary precautions.
    So every time (it's two words) I step outside my door and leave my house, I should expect it to be burgled? Every time I walk in public, I have a reasonable expectation of being raped? Every time I go visit my rentals, I should expect a confrontation with someone intent on murdering me? (Okay, depending on which one, that might be true.)

Does not compute. At all.

What's secure? How many layers of locks and cover are enough to satisfy you? What if they steal the whole effing vehicle? Would that be negligence on the part of the owner?

It's not about fault. Why do you morons keep going on about fault? It's NOT about being right or wrong. It's about being responsible.

How is the OP responsible for someone else's behavior?

Namecalling is a reaction to being frustrated. Am I'm very frustrated. I'm tired of having other people carelessness infringe on my rights. Now, deflecting (comparing this to getting raped, or home invasions, playing the "what if" game, etc), which I'm seeing a lot of here, IS a sign of being wrong.
    The hell it is. It's an extension of your "logic" to other areas that, if you had a valid argument, would stand up to scrutiny. Since it fails, so does your argument.

But again, it's not about being right or wrong. It's about being responsible. The OP wasn't wrong in what he did, he was irresponsible in securing his firearm.

Locked and out of view is irresponsible? What exactly would you have him do?

Your second point. If your car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, Then you're car is locked and your firearm is out of sight, it's not secure.
    Oh, I get it. You think there's actually a point where firearms are free from criminal access.

And really? Assuming your car will be broken into is irrational? I thought it was called situational awareness.
    LOL, situational awareness is being aware of your surroundings. How in the world does that translate into ASSUMING your car will be burgled? Hey, I see the 3 youths, the pair of season citizens, and the family of four in the restaurant I'm currently in. Yep, that's sufficient reason to believe my car's about to get jacked. :rolleyes:

As in, if I leave something I own out in public, I'm going to go ahead and be aware that anybody has access to it in that situation. And do my absolute best to secure it.

No, they don't have access if they have to break in.

Secure

7. Assured; certain

Curious if a house with all the locks engaged is considered secure in your mind. And just how would you recommend making it secure so as to be absolutely FREE FROM DANGER OR ATTACK. Since you seem to be the expert.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    But nobody DID steal his car (because car theft isn't as common), and nobody DID break into his home (because home break-ins are not as common). Why are you trying to deflect the situation at hand? You want to play the "what if" game? How about, 'what if he had secured his gun in a trunk safe?'

1) The fact that you still have not answered the questions I posed tells me exactly who is deflecting. It was a really simple question actually. I never asked if the OPs car had been stolen or his home broken into. I know that isn't what happened. I asked if you would consider him irresponsible for not taking more precautions if it HAD happened.

2) What if he had stored his gun in a safe bolted into the trunk? Locks to not stop criminal behavior, they simply discourage it. Maybe this thief knew OP had a gun in the car. Maybe the whole car would have been stolen.

Thank you for participating in this debate though. I got a good laugh out of your logic and I will keep it in mind if my radio is ever stolen out of my locked vehicle. After all, it's clearly my fault since it was only secured behind a piece of glass.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

What if the criminal hadn't broken in?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Cause a lot of people agree with me, but are afraid of being jumped on. And no, I'm not for the AWB. It's idiotic. My point is if it weren't for a legal gun owner not securing their weapons, we wouldn't even be talking about an AWB. I'm all for the 2nd, and think antbody that can legally own a firearm and wants to, should. Responsibly. But we still have people that won't/don't practice safe gun ownership. Plain and simple.

Like the alarmists like to keep asking "What? I'm supposed to have all my guns locked in a safe where I can't get to them when I need to?!?!" No, don't be an idiot. But, if you are not in control of those guns, then yes, they should be locked in a safe. When you're at home - by all means, have your safe unlocked, door wide open with every weapon loaded to the max, cocked and ready to fight off the hoardes of BG's a lot of the alarmists like to imagine are moments away from storming their compound. When you leave your home, lock 'em up. It's easy really.

The OP in this thread secured his firearm behind an 1/8" piece of glass! And everybody is giving him a pass on that. BS, it's extremely irresponsible. Gun owners that careless are the ones responsible for the current uproar for gun control. Most (almost all really) gun crimes are commited with stolen firearms. Firearms that should never have been stolen in the first place. If you're going to travel with your firearm to places that don't allow you to carry, then you have a trunk safe bolted to the inside of your trunk. Simple. They have some really decent ones. The one I have bolts up under the inside between the trunk hinges. Barely noticeable, especially to a thief who's trying to get in and get out as quickly as possible. My car gets broken into at least once a month outside my house. Not once has there been any evidence that they touched the safe or even noticed it for that matter.

What I'm trying to say is: Criminals gonna crim. It sucks! and it shouldn't happen. But it does. Gun owners are all worried about the BG's attacking them, hence the reason they own the firearm in the first place. So why aren't more gun owners equally worried about BG's getting their guns? An ounce of prevention would have saved us ALL a giant headache. Trust me, I'm sick to my stomach over the AWB. Seriously. Last year I gave my AR to my nephew for his 21st B-day. Been planning on getting another one (I gave it to him cause it had a 20" bbl, I wanted something shorter). Now it doesn't look like thats going to happen. So yeah, I'm sick over this.

In the end, we need to put as much thought into retaining our guns and keeping them out of the hands of BG's as we do into practicing "situational awareness" and tactics and training.

I retract my earlier statement.... or should I say, I amend it.

Your obvious deity is truly shining thru with this BS, here ^....

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Did a little research-read some of Riverparker's posts on INGO. The truth can now be revealed. His real name is......... Joe Biden. RP you will be happy to know that I took your advice before you could even give it and bought me a coachgun. See, someone is listening to you so now you can calm down.

Top Bottom