• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So where do y’all ride? Sometimes we ride out at Parklands at Floyd’s Fork southwest of Louisville. Awesome park and ~22 mile paved trail from top to bottom. It’s a bit of a drive to get there.

Sometimes we just ride in new Albany. They put this ***damn bike lanes in. Someone needs to use them.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    In my limited understanding, there are 3 classes of eBikes:
    1) pedal-assist (electric only to help you pedal) up to 25 MPH
    2) pedal-assist up to 28 MPH
    3) non-assist (the bike can move itself) limited to 28 MPH

All are limited to 750 watts to be classified as a bicycle. Above that, it appears they are a "motor driven cycle" much like the Moped you mention. Would then require title, registration, and an operators license with a motorcycle add-on. Guessing this is because they can exceed 28 MPH, which appears to be an arbitrary cut-off for non-human-powered vehicles.

I was serving on a DNR advisory board when the legislation was passed on eBikes. At the time, they were becoming quite the nuisance. Folks were not following cycling rules OR motor-driven rules, and running them wide open anywhere they wanted. Mowed down a few pedestrians on the Monon, as I recall. The legislature decided to clear up a few things.

Personally, I think the pedal-assist are a great way to get more folks active and outdoors. The full-electrics are simply motor vehicles.
    Class 1: eBikes that are pedal-assist only, with no throttle, and have a maximum assisted speed of 20 mph. Class 2: eBikes that have pedal assist have a maximum speed of 20 mph, and are throttle-assisted. Class 3: eBikes that are pedal-assist only, with no throttle, and a maximum assisted speed of 28 mph.

Wife got her dad a Rad Power ebike. Then we just ordered ours as sale ends today. They are class 2 and found out the paved railroad trails allow Class 1 and Class 2 bikes. It says no motorized anything allowed, but guess ebikes not considered motorized. This is great because he is 82 and liked going 20 miles to Winamac and 20 miles back. I liked the fact at 61 I don't feel like pedaling much more than a mile anymore...LOL. Can't wait to get ours this weekend. Would like to hit many of the other paved railroad track bikes routes that seem to be all over the place. So far only rode the Panhandle, and its pretty nice. In case anyone wants one today Sept. 27th is last day of sales.....this is the number one dealer in the US. fullsizeoutput_785.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom