• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Deciding which second rifle to buy because you're buying one that you expect to break... now don't that beat all!
    :)

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    If I might toss this out there: "The good Lord made men tall and he made men small, Col' Sam Colt...he made 'em all equal." ColtAmericanHeritagePoints++

If I ever buy an AR, it'll be a Colt. I'm just afraid of the hazing it'll get when it first goes into the gun safe with all the 70+ year old M1s.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If I might toss this out there: "The good Lord made men tall and he made men small, Col' Sam Colt...he made 'em all equal." ColtAmericanHeritagePoints++

If I ever buy an AR, it'll be a Colt. I'm just afraid of the hazing it'll get when it first goes into the gun safe with all the 70+ year old M1s.

Even though Sam Colt had nothing to do with the AR?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Aero Precision has complete rifles too for about that same price, and I think Spike's Tactical do too

Very good rifles for the price, it seems like they rarely get mentioned anymore. I remember when Spike's hit the scene, it's all everyone talked about for a couple of years. Now it seems the popularity has subsided.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have three AR's. A pre buyout Bushmaster M4, a BCM midlength and a Colt 6920 and I think the fit and finish is better on the Bushmaster but when you take them apart for cleaning I think the Colt is built better. They all shoot great but if I could only keep one it would definitely be the Colt.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    In all honestly probably 99% of all people will never put enough rounds through to wear out their primary AR or run it hard enough to even break it, so it really doesn't matter what the back-up rifle is. If your just wanting another AR to have another one on hand that's a valid point as most of us have more than one just for the simple fact we like owning them, building them, ect. So I'm not sure I would consider any of my other ARs to be backup rifles.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have three AR's. A pre buyout Bushmaster M4, a BCM midlength and a Colt 6920 and I think the fit and finish is better on the Bushmaster but when you take them apart for cleaning I think the Colt is built better. They all shoot great but if I could only keep one it would definitely be the Colt.

Funny that you mention that, I too own those 3 AR's and a few more. My Bushy is from 2006, fit and finish is near perfect, nice dark black etc. It does have a commercial buffer tube. I have owned my share of Colt's over the years, and have yet to own one where the color of the upper matches the lower, very noticeable in bright sun light. BCM I have never fired or even had apart. It needs some range time for sure. Color matches perfect on the BCM as well.
    If I see Colt's selling on Gunbroker for over 2K, then mine will get listed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In all honestly probably 99% of all people will never put enough rounds through to wear out their primary AR or run it hard enough to even break it, so it really doesn't matter what the back-up rifle is. If your just wanting another AR to have another one on hand that's a valid point as most of us have more than one just for the simple fact we like owning them, building them, ect.

This is the best point to get across. Guys who don't have rifles that are already all scratched up don't & won't ever need a backup rifle. There's no shame in owning a range queen, or a collector showpiece, but people don't need backups to those, maybe a few spare parts at best. If you just want another rifle, then there's no problem with that either. If you want that next rifle to be quality and not an unreliable piece of steel and plastic that's good sense to want that too.

Truth of the matter is that if any of us ever needed a "backup" rifle it had better be in the hand of the guy right next to us when we need it most while we're transitioning to a side arm. I'll admit it and I hope I never need a backup rifle. I hope all I have are collectors & toys.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    This is the best point to get across. Guys who don't have rifles that are already all scratched up don't & won't ever need a backup rifle. There's no shame in owning a range queen, or a collector showpiece, but people don't need backups to those, maybe a few spare parts at best. If you just want another rifle, then there's no problem with that either. If you want that next rifle to be quality and not an unreliable piece of steel and plastic that's good sense to want that too.

Truth of the matter is that if any of us ever needed a "backup" rifle it had better be in the hand of the guy right next to us when we need it most while we're transitioning to a side arm. I'll admit it and I hope I never need a backup rifle. I hope all I have are collectors & toys.

Yup I agree totally. I don't really think people understand the actual amount of rounds it would actually take to wear one out. Perhaps breaking one is a different story but even then for a range queen I don't know as I worry myself to much with the idea....

Top Bottom