• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is there just nothing there to represent an atheist?
    Actually, they've got one of the cooler symbols on theirs.
    emblem16.png

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Am I the only one who finds it kind or ironic that some of the Christians in this thread want retribution somehow on the non believers. Isn't that sort of everything you aren't supposed to do?

Hmm odd. Also kind of interesting that the posts that seem to come from the non believers are also the least hostile.

You would figure those people, ya know the immoral ones, would be acting all crazy.

But I can tell you for sure that if an Atheist said that the Christians who oppose something he believed in should be nailed to a cross it would sure get a lot more attention that it has when it was posted by a Christian about Atheists earlier.

How about we all believe whatever we want, but lets all keep it to ourselves. Can we also knock if off with the atheists being somehow morally corrupt? That is about the biggest load of horse poo ever.

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    They should be nailed to it!! they might get it then!!

And they call Islam the religion of peace. :):

I'm fairly agnostic myself, as I don't have the gall or the arrogance to think that I possess the answer to the great mystery of life regarding where we came from or where we are going after we die. But Epicurus does make me stop and think:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?”

Epicurus – Greek philosopher, BC 341-270

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I forgive their hate and efforts to abolish the Christian faith, to the rest of you, all Christians are sinners, no one ever said other wise, God Bless and Good Night.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    1. IBTL. This thread was doomed from the beginning.

2. If we remove all religious icons doesn't that mean that the government has set up a system wherein Atheism/Agnosticism are the State Religion?

3. It is not arrogance to say that I have found the answers to life when I did not pen them nor claim to have it revealed to me and only me as if I were special. The fact that many false Christians are ignorant hypocrites reflects poorly upon me, true, but assuming that because I claim to have answers I am arrogant is arrogant in itself: you presume I cannot have the answer because you know that I am either wrong or incapable of finding out the truth.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I wouldn't say you are wrong, but I would absoultely agree with the part I put in bold.

Isn't it arrogant to presume that? I could conceivably find out, as there is no definite wall that I am incapable of surmounting in finding this answer...

I am honestly curious. Might as well make use of the thread before this thing gets locked, I guess.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    1. IBTL. This thread was doomed from the beginning.

2. If we remove all religious icons doesn't that mean that the government has set up a system wherein Atheism/Agnosticism are the State Religion?
    Is non-faith a religion? I prefer the term "skeptic" rather than atheist since atheist is thought of as a religion even though it is not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Is non-faith a religion? I prefer the term "skeptic" rather than atheist since atheist is thought of as a religion even though it is not.

By that logic, Buddhism and (D)Taoism are not necessarily religions either, yet we have considered them to be religions for millenia.

From Dictionary.com:

" –noun
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. "

It seems to me that both Atheism and Agnosticism fall under the second definition, at least, and partly under the first.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm not religious. I have morals and ethics that rival some of the religious beliefs. With that said......our United States currency reads "In God We trust". Does that bother me? No. Why? Because that was part of what our country was founded on. If you don't like it, then ignore it and choose what you want. No reason to try to remove someone else's beliefs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm not religious. I have morals and ethics that rival some of the religious beliefs. With that said......our United States currency reads "In God We trust". Does that bother me? No. Why? Because that was part of what our country was founded on. If you don't like it, then ignore it and choose what you want. No reason to try to remove someone else's beliefs.

Oh dear...the "In God we Trust" can of worms :D

That was added much later as a rallying cry against the Commies. I see no reason for someone who does not wish to honor my God to carry change or money that bears His name any more than I would have reason to carry cash bearing praise to Shiva.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    By that logic, Buddhism and (D)Taoism are not necessarily religions either, yet we have considered them to be religions for millenia.

From Dictionary.com:

" –noun
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. "

It seems to me that both Atheism and Agnosticism fall under the second definition, at least, and partly under the first.
    Perhaps. However, I could care less if there is a cross, crescent, star of david, in front of me...I do not understand being "offended" by them. I'm not poo-pooing their beliefs and I would expect the same in return.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Perhaps. However, I could care less if there is a cross, crescent, star of david, in front of me...I do not understand being "offended" by them. I'm not poo-pooing their beliefs and I would expect the same in return.

Nor do I. I personally, as a devout Christian, found one of my most interesting college classes to be Intro to World Religions. It explains so much about a person and their culture when you look into their religious beliefs (or lack thereof). To demand that a person repress their religious symbol because you don't like/belief in that particular religion seems not only unreasonable, but also indicates a lack of faith in your own religion or lack thereof.

I combat other beliefs the way any belief should be combated: with facts and reasoned argument. I don't believe that their religions are valid or true any more than I believe a man who tells me the sky is green when I can plainly see that it is blue, but I don't mock them for their beliefs or try to repress them. Some, on religious and non-religious sides, seem to be incapable of understanding how to do that :xmad:

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Because they don't want to be reminded they are going to hell?

First off.... who are you too judge anyone? I am not religious in any sense.. nor am I "atheist". I fall under the category of Agnostic. I come from a highly religious family, went to bible school, raised Baptist, and I caught flack growing up all my life for not believing. Remember one very important thing... Do not judge others when it is not your place to judge. If there is an almighty, then you'd be wise to leave all the judgment to him as you may have things you've done. As for the lawsuit or w/e in the world is going on.. Yet another example of what it wrong with this country.... The constitution clearly states that we should have religious tolerance. But, you have religion being pushed in government (separation of church and state), if you don't claim to be a *believer* like this guy who says "they are going to hell" then you are being persecuted for your religious beliefs- the exact same reason many left Europe and migrated here. My point here is this: Get over the fact that someone does not share your same beliefs and stop being bigots. As for the lawsuit (w/e)...they need to practice the same thing...don't like it? Then don't go....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    First off.... who are you too judge anyone? I am not religious in any sense.. nor am I "atheist". I fall under the category of Agnostic. I come from a highly religious family, went to bible school, raised Baptist, and I caught flack growing up all my life for not believing. Remember one very important thing... Do not judge others when it is not your place to judge. If there is an almighty, then you'd be wise to leave all the judgment to him as you may have things you've done. As for the lawsuit or w/e in the world is going on.. Yet another example of what it wrong with this country.... The constitution clearly states that we should have religious tolerance. But, you have religion being pushed in government (separation of church and state), if you don't claim to be a *believer* like this guy who says "they are going to hell" then you are being persecuted for your religious beliefs- the exact same reason many left Europe and migrated here. My point here is this: Get over the fact that someone does not share your same beliefs and stop being bigots. As for the lawsuit (w/e)...they need to practice the same thing...don't like it? Then don't go....

You sound pretty judgmental to me. I therefore judge you as, judgmental.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hating the haters is the answer. It's just aggravating when, as usual, the minority who makes the loudest noise gets heard regardless of what the majority believes. Just like so many businesses in todays world, the Gov't can tend to manage to the lowest common denominator.

I'm guessing it isn't a case of caring about a cross being there but more of a "I want my name in the news" kind of thing. Gotta remember that there are embarrassments on both sides.

THAT'S why I started this thread. Not to debate judgment orChristianity vs Atheism, vs Heaven vs Hell vs blah blah blah. Problem is, I didn't think it through,silly me. Lesson learned... SIGH! :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom