• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    For those of you putting away rice in your preps or just eating loads of rice, you might want to taper off that Made In America rice, or at least source it better. A new study found that there are high levels of arsenic in much of the rice from Texas, Arkansas, etc. Looks like it's due to the land previously being used to grow cotton and the residual arsenic used in pesticides. California rice, along with foreign rice has much lower levels. So, next time you head out to stock up, check the source. (I mostly use California short grain rice, myself. I buy it in 20# bags from my local asian store). They also found high levels in other rice products, so you might want to read a few labels.

The Consumerist » Consumer Reports Investigation Finds Arsenic In Variety Of Rice Products

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The Chinese have used so much DDT that they have to hand pollinate fruit trees. They have killed all the honey bees.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a followup to the previous article, with recommendations on how much rice you should eat, given the arsenic content. Also recs for kids.

The Consumerist » So There’s Arsenic In My Rice… What Can I Do About It?

ricechart.png

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Makes me glad I've never been a big fan of rice. However we should probably see what other crops are grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas because they probably contain arsenic too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Makes me glad I've never been a big fan of rice. However we should probably see what other crops are grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas because they probably contain arsenic too.
    Well, since last year, we know there are high levels in apple juice and apple products. So that's one.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You ingest arsenic every day. It's in groundwater and and isn't R/O'd out.
    People think it's odd when certain bottled water labels say "Arsenic Free"...because they aren't aware it's in the ones they've been drinking.

Happy Thursday :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was playing D&D once, and we came to a table with the words "All things are not As they seem" written in a white crystalline powder. One of the morons in the party (wasn't me, I swear) snorted a line of it and promptly died. Capitalization is important.

Top Bottom