• ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Interesting comments from CMC and C/S USArmy. This may have been touched on earlier, however, I see their comments as a bit of "in your face" to the SecDef and all three service secretaries who have dictated that all combat arms and all training be opened to women despite the services objections. Social engineering at it's worst! Their comments, to me, indicate that they are saying "...if you are going to force women down our throats, let's take it all the way and force women to face the same potential service that men would face." Women are cheering that (to them) another "artificial ceiling" has been shoved aside. Let's see if they cheer when they now face a potential draft notice.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That justified a SEAL raid in Pakistan to kill a Saudi who operated out of Yemen. Not a nation building adventure into Afghanistan and definitely not a destabilizing overthrow in Iraq.
    World War Two is the last legitimate cause for getting involved in a war.
    Lol, if you think that 9/11 wasn't just cause for war, when A nationstate was hiding and supporting the folks responsible, I don't really know what to say to you.

I love that everyone of your criticisms is based solely on a Monday morning quarterback basis.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Lol, if you think that 9/11 wasn't just cause for war, when A nationstate was hiding and supporting the folks responsible, I don't really know what to say to you.

I love that everyone of your criticisms is based solely on a Monday morning quarterback basis.

Everything is obvious in hindsight.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

You think it was that simple? Afghanistan was run by the taliban who lent some safe haven to Al Qaeda. The solution was to invade the entire third world country, just like the Soviets did, and build a functioning democracy there? Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen were all as much to blame as Afghanistan. It didn't make sense to invade an entire country just to get a non-state terrorist group that sometimes occupied its porous Pakistani boarder.

I was 11 when 911 happened so yes I have the benefit of looking back with sober eyes and looking to the future with sober eyes. None of which changes the fact that invading those two countries was a mistake.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What's the last legitimate cause for 'war' we've actually had?

A war we actually fought or a war we should have?

We sat on our hands and watched part of Ukraine be annexed, yet we fabricated faulty intelligence to invade Iraq a second time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That justified a SEAL raid in Pakistan to kill a Saudi who operated out of Yemen. Not a nation building adventure into Afghanistan and definitely not a destabilizing overthrow in Iraq.

A SEAL raid into another nation already is war.
    You can just get away with it with a smaller nation.
    It doesn't change the fact that sending armed forces into another nation to kidnap or kill it's citizens is an act of war.
    And FYI, we used to do that.
    But then nobody wanted to do that and risk being accused of being aggressive.
    So we stopped, sat back, and let them take the initiative.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What'd you suggest doing in Ukraine?

Now?

There's absolutely nothing that can be done.

I'm not going to profess to be someone that knows how military operations could best be carried out, but we should have been positioned to defend Ukraine from Russian invasion and annexation.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What's the last legitimate cause for 'war' we've actually had?

Yeah, we get it.
    In your world, there is nothing that justifies war, even killing 3K Americans by a bunch of Islamists.
    Get back to listening to Free Talk Live and nodding furiously to every word from Ian.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A SEAL raid into another nation already is war.
    You can just get away with it with a smaller nation.
    It doesn't change the fact that sending armed forces into another nation to kidnap or kill it's citizens is an act of war.
    And FYI, we used to do that.
    But then nobody wanted to do that and risk being accused of being aggressive.
    So we stopped, sat back, and let them take the initiative.

I forgot the term war has no meaning anymore

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, we get it.
    In your world, there is nothing that justifies war, even killing 3K Americans by a bunch of Islamists.
    Get back to listening to Free Talk Live and nodding furiously to every word from Ian.

I listen to NPR, at least use accurate insults.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You think it was that simple? Afghanistan was run by the taliban who lent some safe haven to Al Qaeda. The solution was to invade the entire third world country, just like the Soviets did, and build a functioning democracy there? Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen were all as much to blame as Afghanistan. It didn't make sense to invade an entire country just to get a non-state terrorist group that sometimes occupied its porous Pakistani boarder.

I was 11 when 911 happened so yes I have the benefit of looking back with sober eyes and looking to the future with sober eyes. None of which changes the fact that invading those two countries was a mistake.
    You asked for justification for war, yet all you argue is mistakes in how it was waged. That you confuse the two is telling.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Tomorrow my status changes. I go from being "retired reserve" to just "retired" since tomorrow marks the completion of my 30 year service commitment.

That's not just one of my usual thread-jacks, there's a point here. I can still be recalled to active duty under section 688a of 10 USC. Before there is a draft, every single one of us old retired guys/gals will be recalled to active duty. That takes a full mobilization (hasn't been one since WWII). A draft does not, but 43 years after the draft ended? I do not see it happening. A highly specialized and technologically-advanced force does not lend itself well to a bunch of conscripts.

A mandatory service period for 2 years? Hey, it works in South Korea, Israel, etc. It would take something so terrible (fighting an enemy on our soil) for that to become a possibility. I saw first-hand what a conscription force looks like in the ROK. They have a volunteer force as well, in their Air Force (ROKAF) volunteers start out as SSgts (E-5). The E1-E4s are the conscripts doing 33 months if I remember right. I was there 92-93, but these poor conscript guys made like $20/month.

It's a different world there. It wasn't that long ago the country held on inside the Pusan Perimeter (which actually extended north of Taegu near Waegon). This would be a different country if we had to hold off an invading force from somewhere south of Macon, Ga. Short of that? I'll be in uniform again before there are any conscripted hipsters.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Armed forces invading a country to kidnap or kill it's citizens doesn't count as an act of war to you?
    So I guess what Germany did to Poland was just a disagreement.

...and doubtless one for which the U.K. was totally in the wrong for recognizing as an act of war.
    No, I'm not kidding here.
    There are even total numbskulls who call themselves "libertarians" who actually believe that we shouldn't have retaliated for Pearl Harbor.
    Sad, but true.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I sure as hell don't want my daughter to have to register one day. But, we'd see just how much the feminists and liberals actually want "equality," if they opposed it.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Armed forces invading a country to kidnap or kill it's citizens doesn't count as an act of war to you?
    So I guess what Germany did to Poland was just a disagreement.

Bin Laden wasn't a citizen of Afghanistan and he wasn't found in that country either. A raid into Afghan territory for a terrorist they may be harboring, I don't believe, is on par with Germany invading Poland. Call me crazy.

Top Bottom