Earth

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Are Band-Aids supposed to blend in with your skin? That thought has literally never even crossed my mind. I only care about keeping germs and grime out of a wound, not whether or not I can hide the fact that I cut myself.

That must be my white privilege.

And in food service they're blue so they can't blend into food.

FWIW, I see making bandages in a variety of skin tones to be a good thing - capitalist seeing a demand in the market and creating a product to sell.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You may want to take a look at the terms "aunt" and "uncle" in the slavery days.

Sure, terms of affection, but....

When I was a boy in all white east coast New Jersey, I was required to call all of my parents friends aunt or uncle, as it was impolite to call a grownup by their first mane. If they were not close friends I called them Mr. or Mrs.

Neither of my parents were slave owners. My dad worked in a sweat shop at 13 in 1916. Kinda slavery. Now we just import illegals or ship those jobs over seas.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not going to go too far with this, but you wish the real stuff wasn't the real stuff? :scratch:

No, just the texture of the real stuff. I want it to be real, but just wish it were thicker so it would cling to the pancakes or french toast or whatever like the fake stuff does. I didn't know real maple syrup wasn't thick until I was an adult and actually had it. We grew up with Mrs. Butterworth's and the like. Went to pour the real stuff, expecting it to come out of the bottle slowly like Mrs. Butterworth's and boy was I surprised! :):

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Are Band-Aids supposed to blend in with your skin? That thought has literally never even crossed my mind. I only care about keeping germs and grime out of a wound, not whether or not I can hide the fact that I cut myself.

That must be my peach privilege.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    JtM62Lb.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    One I made years ago... I saw where this was going... yes that's our good buddy JY when he was going to pancake some of our other members...

rimg.php

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No, just the texture of the real stuff. I want it to be real, but just wish it were thicker so it would cling to the pancakes or french toast or whatever like the fake stuff does. I didn't know real maple syrup wasn't thick until I was an adult and actually had it. We grew up with Mrs. Butterworth's and the like. Went to pour the real stuff, expecting it to come out of the bottle slowly like Mrs. Butterworth's and boy was I surprised! :):

You can make maple syrup as thick as you want, all the way to solid maple sugar. You just boil away more of the water - although you have to be more careful the more you boil away because it becomes easier to over-caramelize the sugars. And the maple syrup gets a stronger flavor the thicker it is so you need less of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can make maple syrup as thick as you want, all the way to solid maple sugar. You just boil away more of the water - although you have to be more careful the more you boil away because it becomes easier to over-caramelize the sugars. And the maple syrup gets a stronger flavor the thicker it is so you need less of it.
    Well that's what I would have thought, but I've only ever seen it really thin.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most people that sell the stuff make it thinner - because they have more volume to sell that way. People that make it mostly for themselves tend to make it thicker, unless they prefer it thin.

Maybe I should start looking for it at some of the "craft show" (and that's not really the term I'm looking for) type things... where people sell raw honey and the like. I just don't care for the thin stuff. I can remember some restaurants serving the fake stuff, but heated up, so that it became just as thin as real stuff. Didn't like that either.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Maybe I should start looking for it at some of the "craft show" (and that's not really the term I'm looking for) type things... where people sell raw honey and the like. I just don't care for the thin stuff. I can remember some restaurants serving the fake stuff, but heated up, so that it became just as thin as real stuff. Didn't like that either.

It would be best if you knew somebody that makes it and they could make some thicker for you. Of course it would cost more and believe me it is stronger. When you take it all the way to maple sugar candy, the maple flavor is too strong for most people - including me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would be best if you knew somebody that makes it and they could make some thicker for you. Of course it would cost more and believe me it is stronger. When you take it all the way to maple sugar candy, the maple flavor is too strong for most people - including me.
    When we used to go up to Minnesota and Canada (on Rainy Lake near International Falls) as a kid, I used to like stopping in the cheese shops along the way and getting maple sugar "candies" (usually maple leaf shaped chunks of sugar). Of course I don't know if they were "real" or just maple-flavored regular sugar, but it was back in the 70's so maybe it was real. I do know that I liked it, but you'd only nibble a little bit and put it away.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NNBD, I saw you mention Mille Lacs earlier too. We went up there one summer before we started going to Rainy Lake. Also went to Bimidgi when my oldest sister was in a production of "Oklahoma" with the Singing Hoosiers. Ah, childhood memories...

Top Bottom