Apparently Indiana DNR does not regulate the hunting of coyotes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    The news reporter is wrong! Coyotes are fur bearing animals which are regulated, in season, in Indiana.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2010_Hunting_Regulations.pdf

Fur Bearers, Hunting Dates, Limit
    Red and Gray, Oct. 15, 2010 - Feb. 28, 2011, No limit
    Coyote, Striped Skunk, Oct. 15, 2010 - March 15, 2011, No limit
    Raccoon and Opossum, Nov. 8, 2010 - Jan. 31, 2011, No limit
    Dog Running, Feb. 15, 2010 - Oct. 14, 2010, No limit
    (Raccoon, Opossum)

You must be properly licensed if you are not the land owner.

Depredation: No season (year round) on private property as a land owner or when in possession of written permission from land owner.

However they have become such a rapidly expanding problem that IMO and from what I have found on DNR's website, the regulations may be "overlooked" by authorities because the dogs have become such a widespread nuisance, even in big cities.

They can exist in areas of dense human population without even being noticed.

They are quite adaptive and constantly expanding their territory. According to experts, they as a species are very prone to constantly "pushing the envelope" of their existence.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    What arm do they cause outside of farming or agri-business?

Read my post on "Killed By Coyotes" to get an idea. They are abundant even in cities. Pets fall prey to them. Small children can fall prey to them. And they have the potential to spreads rabies, parvo, etc. to pets if one of the infected ones comes to town or even the burbs.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    there isnt as much pressure on coyotes as there is deer. i have snares set out for them on my property and i hunt them with rifle or bow depending on my stand. coyote is kinda like chipmunks for the dnr, they arent a regulated animal along with no season (if you have permission or are the tenant or owner of the property). yotes dont just kill other pets but they also breed with domestic dogs, i have actually come across one that wandered onto my property but she was ragged looking with mange. she had the body, head, ears like a yote but the tail and fur of a chocolate lab

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The news reporter is wrong! Coyotes are fur bearing animals which are regulated, in season, in Indiana.

However they have become such a rapidly expanding problem that IMO and from what I have found on DNR's website, the regulations may be "overlooked" by authorities because the dogs have become such a widespread nuisance, even in big cities.

They can exist in areas of dense human population without even being noticed.

They are quite adaptive and constantly expanding their territory. According to experts, they as a species are very prone to constantly "pushing the envelope" of their existence.

The reporter was right. You can hunt them year round with landowners written permission. I've hunted them for several years. And you can kill them with any weapon your see fit. At night and with night vision. Use electronic calls and bait. You just need a regular hunting license if your not on your own property.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    The reporter was right. You can hunt them year round with landowners written permission. I've hunted them for several years. And you can kill them with any weapon your see fit. At night and with night vision. Use electronic calls and bait. You just need a regular hunting license if your not on your own property.

Last statement by reporter:

"The state of Indiana does not regulate the hunting of coyotes, as they are considered vermin."

The reporter was wrong! Everything you stated is a part of the regulations.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Recent studies have determined that coyotes kill an estimated 50% or more of new born fawns. IMO the only good 'yote is a dead 'yote.

That is a GOOD thing. I love deer, but can you imagine how overrun with them we would be if coyotes DIDN'T kill half of the fawns? The population would grow exponentially. We wouldn't be doing "population control" hunts on state property, but everywhere. You might think that would be fun at first, but think of the economic impact to farmers and landowners. No one would be able to grow any crops because of the huge overpopulation of the deer. Then disease would set in to the starving masses of deer. Would you rather have coyotes thinning out the deer herd by killing the weak deer, or disease wiping out both the weak AND the healthy deer?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom