Anyone else notice Armslist is getting really bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Also had a sour Armslist experience recently, though nothing like some of the other crazy stories I've read in this thread. I think the wackiest experience I ever had on AL was someone wanting to trade me tattoo work for a pistol I had listed.

As others have said, lesson learned, I'll stick with the gang here, and stand behind the 50 post rule all day long. It's not a slam-dunk, but it does give you an opportunity to get to know who you're dealing with a little bit. I've done a few trades/purchases with INGO members, and *every single one* has been a buttery-smooth and pleasant experience.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This stuff sounds crazy... I have never bought or sold a gun I don't think that was not on INGO or through a network of friends. At least this way I've never been nervous about anything or had anything bad happen. It's always been a pleasant experience.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Also had a sour Armslist experience recently, though nothing like some of the other crazy stories I've read in this thread. I think the wackiest experience I ever had on AL was someone wanting to trade me tattoo work for a pistol I had listed.

As others have said, lesson learned, I'll stick with the gang here, and stand behind the 50 post rule all day long. It's not a slam-dunk, but it does give you an opportunity to get to know who you're dealing with a little bit. I've done a few trades/purchases with INGO members, and *every single one* has been a buttery-smooth and pleasant experience.

Exactly. It may not be perfect but it much better than rolling the dice with a complete unknown on CL or such. Sure, there's a chance that some that deal here aren't honest and lie about various things. If you check their history it's pretty easy to tell if they are worth taking a chance on. It's also pretty easy to tell those who should be avoided. When a member says 'I've been arrested more times than I can remember in another state' then don't deal with them. Same thing goes for the one that said 'I'm not military and never have been but I have PTSD from other events.' Then a year later says 'way to treat a retired gunny', well he's another one to avoid. Both are members here, both are on my ignore list.

TheHive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Its has got bad, I had people asking me to ship to California and send me a MO once I sent it,scams everywhere and illegal as well.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Wow, other than low balling and fade-aways (which frankly, I've gotten on here as well), I haven't had any of these crazy problems on Armslist. I guess I better knock on wood.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We get a LOT of interesting messages from Armslist. But that's how we sell most of our guns (FFL). I have it very clearly stated in our ads (all ads follow the same format except for the information specific to that particular gun) that we are an FFL and a background check is required for all sales. I've been asked multiple times if we'll deliver :rolleyes: and have had so many lowball offers I lost count. I've had someone find a gun of ours on Armslist and then message us on our FB page and lie to us to try to get us to drop the price of the gun.

Armslist is the Craigslist of the gun world. You're going to run into some nuts...or a lot of nuts. But we've also met some really good customers and had easy stress free transactions.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It may not be perfect but it much better than rolling the dice with a complete unknown on CL or such.

Completely agreed on everything ^^^ you said. In my recent situation, I thought we had worked out a fair trade deal + a little cash on my end, but then I got a message saying more $$ was required. I politely declined. The other party eventually backed into our original terms a couple messages later, by which time the arrangement struck me as dishonorable, borderline unethical... sort of a squeeze play to see if I'd pony up. I don't want to do a trade with someone who changes the terms, says they'll understand if you prefer to walk away, then tries to pressure you back into the deal by circling around to the original agreement.

The whole thing could have gone so much more pleasantly so everyone could win, because I was definitely interested in the trade until I felt like I was being phished. Something like "Hey, I really need $$$, and I know we talked about $$... how about I keep the extra holster (or whatever), and you pay me $, would that work for you?".

I recently also had a very nice AL transaction. A guy had my "unicorn" gun that I hadn't seen come up in a long, long time. We traded messages, sort of instantly hit it off, and he offered me a fair deal that I immediately accepted. We met, did the transaction, and had a great in-person meeting.

I do like that we have the "ignore" feature.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have had a lot of great transactions on armslist until they changed the format. I don't know what that did, maybe the good people decided it was to hard to navigate, I have started feeling this way too, because they have changed it yet again in the past week or so.
    That change must have brought out the crazies.
    Anyway, I have some brass for sale, the same brass I have on here for the same price, bumped it on AL last week, got an email from a guy saying he would/could meet me Friday morning to buy it, no specific time was set as he was going to come out to where I work and pick it up, I told him I needed about a 15 min. heads up. So Friday rolls around, I finally get a txt from him around 11am saying that he is having car trouble, and can we meet another time? I txt back, sure, thinking to myself he is going to flake, and hoping someone else will step in and message me about the brass. So Saturday out of the blue at 3 in the afternoon I get a txt from him saying, "hey got my car fixed I can meet you Tuesday morning?" (today July 5th), so I tell him no problem, remind him to give me a heads up. So this morning I get a message from him asking me if I will take a 100 rounds of Federal .223 for my brass, guys I have the brass out at $40 dollars, I've been buying stuff myself, just trying to replenish some of the cash I have spent.
    So I politely tell him NO, cash only, as my ad states.
    He then tells me, he is short this week, because of the car repair and will have to wait. I'm thinking to myself, if you can't spare $40 dollars maybe you don't need to be buying brass, or ammo, or guns. I don't want to offend anyone on here either, but I am in my very early 50's, as in 50 straight up, I haven't been that broke since I was in my 20's, and maybe he is, I don't know, but again, maybe he shouldn't be buying gun accessories if he is that broke.

I don't like the new format at all, and just yesterday went back to my old stand by: Gunbroker to list some items, again NO offense to anyone on here, I have done some great deals and met some great members, but I have been low balled on here and have guys back out, and also get the feeling if you "ain't giving it away" then no one is buying.
    To be honest I have had much better luck on GB and AL for selling than I have on here.

Helmet on, chin strap secure, flame away if you must. Just being honest. It is what it is, as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Gun Collector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2016
    Shelby County
    I've pretty much stopped even looking on Armslist, let alone sell something. As mentioned, it seems to bring out the worst of folks.

I can honestly say that eBay is heading in the same direction. I've sold a classic truck and some tools recently and the amount of nutcase questions I received was unbelievable.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've done Armslist a couple of times to sell, no negatives. I've only bought through classifieds here, all with good, fair results. I'm thinking about divesting myself of a couple of 7.62x25 guns and associated ammo and will use classifieds here first.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I've only ever tried gun shows, gunbroker, and a few local stores. All of them work pretty well, though some of my local gun stores try to overcharge much more than they should. Other than that I'm still working on that 50 post limit so I can enter the magical classified section. ;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yea, Armslist is getting about as high as some INGO ads anymore.
    I did one Armslist sale to a local LEO a couple of years ago.
    I was amazed at some possible buyers and their behavior.
    Once was plenty for me

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I suspect it is much worse now that the facebook gun sales are shut down.
    I don't have and never had a facebook acct. but from what I have been told, some of the prices were pretty steep on FB.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I never quite understood why people think they can charge 100+% of retail price for a used gun.

Then again, given the amount of low balling, maybe it's just a reaction to that. Kind of like when Kroger jacks up their prices on everything and then puts it all on sale, if you are member of their Kroger card club. That way, when you get your receipt, they can say "Look, you've saved $35 on your purchase" when you might still be spending more than if you went to Walmart.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    What is low balling ? when you go to a local shop you can expect to be offered 2/3 of the gun retail value .

I love the people that want to sell you a package (stuff they bought to go with their gun) a personal preference of things for more than you can buy the gun new .Them add what YOU want.
    I will offer what the gun is worth TO ME as a buyer, not you. If it is sooo good why are you selling it

Top Bottom