• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Was carrying tonight and when I got home and disarmed, I noticed there was a good scratch in the finish of the slide from rubbing against the rivet of my jeans. Is there a way to refinish that area? It's a melonite finish.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Copper is probably deposited onto your slide. It'll probably rub out. Try some light strokes with some rubbing compound or automotive wax with a cleaner in it, like NuFinish.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Haven't had a gun issue, but I have a pair of jeans that have rivets with such sharp edges that I cut my hand pulling it out of my pocket.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had to repaint my car (1964 chevell) when I posted up on the door, lost my balance (adult beverages) and slid down the side. Rivet scratch about 3 ft. long. My fault but no more riveted jeans. Ever......:(

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Technical niggle:

It's not a "melonite finish"

the Meloniting process is a steel treatment - which is then coated/painted over with something else.

Regardless - your jeans marred up your pistol (M&P?). It happens. It's a carry gun. Carry guns are tools meant for work. Consider it a beauty mark.

-J-

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Same thing happened to me. Twice! Guess I'm not a quick learner. Anyway, it left metal deposits on the slide, not a scratch. Looked like a scratch, but a little elbow grease and some t17 all natural muzzle loader cleaner took it right off both times. The first time I just tried ribbing it out with a gun and reel cloth. When that didn't work I decided it was a scratch for sure. Tried a few days later with the cleaner because it was really bugging me and within five minutes it was off. Same kind of finish as yours.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I always wear Carhart jeans. The rivets always get bent up and scratch my hand as well. Never thought about it scratching something. NOt too worried about my gun as my holsters tend to protect everything that comes in contact with side.

That said. Non-Rivetted jeans? How the hell does that major seam junction there not come apart without the rivet? I don't know if I won ANY jeans w/o rivets.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    HAHA.. I read the thread title and thought you mis-spelled Joan Rivers.

HAHAHA

I have holster wear on my glock 23, but I dont care. Its a tool, and tools get banged up.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    No malice in my post but I used to see these kinds of posts on AR15.com (when I used to post there). A guy would take his rifle to the range and shoot it, then post a question about how to remove the mark that accumulate when you use a rifle, or any tool for that matter. My carry guns (duty and off duty) get USED. They will show the signs of frequent carry and firing. They get used in the snow, ice, dirt, sand, mud, etc. I like holster wear, it shows that I cared enough about the gun to carry it a lot. Train hard, be hard on your tools. But clean them and maintain them. They may be warn looking but they will run like a top and save my life if called upon. The first scratch is the hardest. Forget about it and the rest won't matter.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    it's an xdm. the scratch is the same color as the rivet so i'm guessing it's rubbed off of it. I use the holster that comes with the gear system and usually i have it positioned behind the rivet along my hip, but I must not have had it back far enough. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm trying to sell it so I would like to keep it as nice as possible.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Get a better holster - something with some level of retention.

That said - it's a carry gun - it won't stay perfect forever. The only scratches that bother me are ones that I could have and should have avoided. Like if I were disassembling the gun and my punch slips and puts a scratch/gouge in the surface - that would irritate me for a bit.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Yeah, I hate the paddle holster that comes with the gun, but I'm not keeping it for long so I'll have to wait on the holster.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    The leather on the front passenger seat on my new truck (on the way home having just taken delivery) was damaged by rivets on my wife's jeans. These scratches want polish out. I would be really mad if it scratched my favorite revolver.

Top Bottom