• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What?!? NOW you've done it. Next thing you know, a Suzuki will show up! :D

So, what't the deal with this PlastiDip stuff? Is it like spray-on bedliner, only without the spray or the bed?

The FJ looks pretty slick all blacked-out like that.

LOL sorry!

You can peel the whole thing. It's like plastic rubber when it come off. And it doesn't harm the surface/paint.

It's a great way to test to see if you want to permanent paint it or not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Plasti dip front grill.
    fcdf9465.jpg

Plasti dip jeep!
    79b83a64.jpg

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    That's definitely a more complete kit than the 3" kit. I always tell people that if you are going to buy a kit with control arms get adjustable arms. That way you can raise or lower your lift. Also at 4.5" lift the control arms are getting very steep. The steeper (further from parallel to the ground) the more jarring the suspension will be. At 4.5" a lot of guys will run long arm suspension kits or control arm drop brackets.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Huh. That looks decent. Let me know how it holds up!

The black finish is coming off of my side mirrors on the old CJ. I wonder if this stuff would spruce it up? How did you apply it?

sbhockey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I was planning on selling mine, but have decided to keep it. I'm at that point where I'd never get what I have into it, so might as well just keep it. It's not my DD, I use it as a winter beater / hunting truck / dog hauler / general toy. 235/75/15 Goodyear MT, 2" BB lift (coils spacers front AAL rear). The rear shackles are seized and need replaced, which is why it has the raised rear stance. Now I just need to get it up to Silver Lake or the Badlands this summer.

driveside-1.jpg

I know, crapy pavement pic. I hope to change that soon.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Can I spray my whole jeep? Does it go on in "coats" ? I wonder if it would be uneven in places

Post #402. I posted a picture of a Jeep Wrangler where the entire thing was plasti-dipped.

It does go on in coats. You apply it like spray paint. It wasn't really that hard to put it on even. Just do a little at a time.

The more coats you put on, the easier it'll be to peel it off too.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Post #402. I posted a picture of a Jeep Wrangler where the entire thing was plasti-dipped.

It does go on in coats. You apply it like spray paint. It wasn't really that hard to put it on even. Just do a little at a time.

The more coats you put on, the easier it'll be to peel it off too.

How many cans are we looking at to "paint" an entire jeep?

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I used to own a Jeep TJ and miss it a little bit , I now drive an FJ and still wheel with my buds and their jeeps .
    Hope you don't mind if I post , we all offroad don't we ?
    It's a 2007 fj fulltime 4WD with Sway -a-Way suspension , Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17 rear diff lock and a Baja Designs 50" LED light bar , I'm hoping to add a new bumper and winch soon .
    IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

This is why you never speed up a dune at the BADLANDS !
    ouch.png

IMG_0475.jpg

100_5056.jpg

100_4655.jpg

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Go for it. You obviously see how simple it is to rip off if you're not satisfied with it.
    Once it's dried (as long as it peels off in large pieces), it doesn't leave any residue or texture to your paint. :rockwoot:

Reposted for anyone considering trying it out:

A few quick tips:

If you want a ROUGH texture... Do multiple coats; spray further away (12-18") and make each coat thin.

If you want a smooth texture (if done right, will literally be as smooth as paint and look factory)...
    The fewer coats the better, but spray it on very thick and as close as 4" to 8" away. If it's not a flat surface, have a hair dryer handy so it doesn't run.

The beauty of it though? If you mess it up... let it dry completely then literally peel it off like a latex glove off your hand. I LOVE this stuff!
    I pick mine up from Home Depot for about $5 a can. Sprays like spray paint... but you DO NOT prep the surface you're spraying on. (ie. sandpaper, scotchbrite pad, etc). Just make sure it's clean.

It holds up really well wheeling, too. I've power washed it several times now, put it through lots of caked on mud, dirt, etc... No problems.
    Although one of my rims caught a little bit of rock out at Badlands so it scuffed it off... just clean off the mud and respray plasti-dip until it's solid/sealed.

Have fun with it!

Top Bottom