• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, my bud does all his leaf builds. I just went Procomp, as they were on sale and I could just slap them in.

Fun on an XJ what with blind pockets ;)

Not uncommon to rip that cheap nutsert loose. Easy enough to repair, but lots of folks putting in a lift don't have welding capability on hand.

Beer, steaks on the grill................and the showstopper :)

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm thinking of installing a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit on my TJ. I think it's gonna be a BIG PITA.

SYE's are easy to install! Can be done in the vehicle. Worst part of the first one i did was I decided to pull the case. When I removed the skid plate, all the nuts in the frame broke free. Had to drill out the frame and weld in some nuts. After that first one though, I just did it in the vehicle unless a case is brought to me already pulled

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Mine has been leaking and probably dead since I got it a few years ago. I got a new to me one sitting in the back of my XJ waiting to be put on. Of course, I need to replace my sway bar links, replace both front wheel hub units and have an oil change done.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    steering stabilizer's will not cure any adverse steering problems that you may be seeing. They will hide other issues though. If its obviously shot then replace it. But don't expect much improvement.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I feel so dirty posting this in here... but I have a ton of Jeep friends so that counts for something, right? ;)

Not to mention, the "J" in "FJ" actually stands for Jeep (since they were made for the US Gov't back in the 60's to wheel overseas out in the mountains).

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

It is an FJ actually offroad.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Talk to me about steering stabilizers, do I need to upgrade them ?

Definitely.

Stock one is way to wimpy, almost to wimpy for the stock tires -- it wears out far too quickly. Especiall if you upsize the tires, you need a better steering damper.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Talk to me about steering stabilizers, do I need to upgrade them ?

Yes and no. Bigger tires and such will wear them out faster, however if everything is set up properly, you dont even need one. They mostly just mask issues to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside....until they cant understand why they need to keep replacing them. I snicker when i see the guys with double stabilizers mounted. Unecessary. If youre going to run one, a larger one will help it last longer. I raced my ZJ in the TREC series at the Badlands one season and just ran a stock stabilizer. If anything is gonna make it wear out, that will. Same one is still on there and doesnt leak

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not to mention, the "J" in "FJ" actually stands for Jeep (since they were made for the US Gov't back in the 60's to wheel overseas out in the mountains).

And the original model, made by the Japanese under US contract, was called the "Toyota Jeep BJ". B-series engine and a model "J" (for Jeep). Just had an unfortunate model designation. :D

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

It is an FJ actually offroad.

Rep to you for Super Trooper reference! :rockwoot:
    Actually, this goes for a lot of the JK guys, too...
    It's unfortunate how many people buy both FJ Cruisers and JK Wranglers and daily them and don't do "the wave" to others. :noway:
    So... As much as I hate to admit it, YES - An FJ actually off road. But only around here. We have an Indiana FJ Cruiser Club.
    This was a few of us from this past Sunday at Badlands:

And the original model, made by the Japanese under US contract, was called the "Toyota Jeep BJ". B-series engine and a model "J" (for Jeep). Just had an unfortunate model designation. :D

More rep for knowing your history!! :rockwoot: I'd have actually been okay had they kept the "BJ" series...

The All New... 2013 BJ Cruiser.

*edit - You must spread some reputation around before giving it to eldirector again. Help! I need a spotter! :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Tell ya' what, how about some rep for wheeling the FJ! Nice to see one good and dirty.

I've GOT to get my CJ back together! All this talk about wheeling is KILLING ME!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh!

I bumped the INGO Jeep Day Feeler thread. It's open to Toyotas too!

What?!? NOW you've done it. Next thing you know, a Suzuki will show up! :D

So, what't the deal with this PlastiDip stuff? Is it like spray-on bedliner, only without the spray or the bed?

The FJ looks pretty slick all blacked-out like that.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    A few quick tips:

If you want a ROUGH texture... Do multiple coats; spray further away (12-18") and make each coat thin.

If you want a smooth texture (if done right, will literally be as smooth as paint and look factory)...
    The fewer coats the better, but spray it on very thick and as close as 4" to 8" away. If it's not a flat surface, have a hair dryer handy so it doesn't run.

The beauty of it though? If you mess it up... let it dry completely then literally peel it off like a latex glove off your hand. I LOVE this stuff!
    I pick mine up from Home Depot for about $5 a can. Sprays like spray paint... but you DO NOT prep the surface you're spraying on. (ie. sandpaper, scotchbrite pad, etc). Just make sure it's clean.

It holds up really well wheeling, too. I've power washed it several times now, put it through lots of caked on mud, dirt, etc... No problems.
    Although one of my rims caught a little bit of rock out at Badlands so it scuffed it off... just clean off the mud and respray plasti-dip until it's solid/sealed.

Have fun with it!

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom