• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You really want at least an 8k pound winch. You gotta remember when you normally use the winch you arent just pulling dead weight, normally your stuck which adds a lot more resistance for the winch to be pulling

You can use a smaller winch IF you understand how to use block and tackle... ;):popcorn:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Almost as much fun as pulling out a 1T 4x4... :D

My first jeep had a 3K winch on it...

I used to carry several pulleys...
    And straps, and chains... ;)
    3K? Good Lord!

Hey, ya'll.... Kick back and have cold one. This'll take a while..... (wrrrr....wrrrr.....)

I use the heck out of my slow little 8K. Pulling stumps and fence posts and dragging stuff on/off the trailer (yes, occasionally the jeep). Actually doesn't get used off-road nearly as much.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    3K? Good Lord!

Hey, ya'll.... Kick back and have cold one. This'll take a while..... (wrrrr....wrrrr.....)

I use the heck out of my slow little 8K. Pulling stumps and fence posts and dragging stuff on/off the trailer (yes, occasionally the jeep). Actually doesn't get used off-road nearly as much.
    Hey it was a HUGE upgrade from the 2T Come-along... :):

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    3K? Good Lord!

You're 8k winch works good pulling out stumps?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I prefer using either my backhoe, or if it is a bit away from everything burn the stump out...

I have a bunch of large overgrown bushes I'm going to cut down. And I want to try and yank the stumps out. I was going to use my dads CAT skid steerer, but it'll tear the yard up since the ground is soft.

So I thought I'd attempt to use the winch first...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You're 8k winch works good pulling out stumps?
    Yep.

With a pulley, no problem. Straight up works pretty well, too. I put a 4x4 post under the front bumper, otherwise the suspension just compresses.

A chain down in the roots, hooked to a snatch strap, and then a running start ALWAYS works. :D That'll rut up the yard, though (and my wife doesn't think it is funny). Hence, the winch.

Edit to add: bushes will be no issue at all. I pulled 20+ out in a day with mine. Then I got to burn them. :rockwoot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a bunch of large overgrown bushes I'm going to cut down. And I want to try and yank the stumps out. I was going to use my dads CAT skid steerer, but it'll tear the yard up since the ground is soft.

So I thought I'd attempt to use the winch first...

I think you'll find the skid steer would be the faster and easier route...

But, I have never used a winch to remove a stump. Well at least not on purpose anyway... ;)

Top Bottom