aPinnacleRock895.jpg

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thanks for the photos Jack.
    I need to bone up on geology. Perusing a couple of old texts isn't getting the job done. The more time I hike around Indiana the more diverse the geology of this state becomes apparent.
    I have spent time in every state in the US and camped and hiked almost all and the more I spend outdoors in Indiana the more I realize its gets the shaft when considered by many to be a fly over state.
    There is a lot here if people would stand up and get walking. Or selfishly I hope they don't as you can get outdoors here and hardly run into anyone whether you are on the water or hiking.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the photos Jack.
    I need to bone up on geology. Perusing a couple of old texts isn't getting the job done. The more time I hike around Indiana the more diverse the geology of this state becomes apparent.
    I have spent time in every state in the US and camped and hiked almost all and the more I spend outdoors in Indiana the more I realize its gets the shaft when considered by many to be a fly over state.
    There is a lot here if people would stand up and get walking. Or selfishly I hope they don't as you can get outdoors here and hardly run into anyone whether you are on the water or hiking.

I didn't see another person who wasn't with me more than 50 feet from a building all day long yesterday. Couple places we actually wanted to see some one come, ask us WTH are you doing? We couldn't even bait them outside. That's where I always get the best directions, stories, and leads to new places.

irishfan76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    The Knobstone Trail, I believe, is the longest trail in IN. Trailhead is at Deam Lake about 20 minutes north of louisville. I have been on the first 12 miles, it is rugged but very scenic, esp. in the fall.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I didn't see another person who wasn't with me more than 50 feet from a building all day long yesterday. Couple places we actually wanted to see some one come, ask us WTH are you doing? We couldn't even bait them outside. That's where I always get the best directions, stories, and leads to new places.

Agreed. I did a 4.5 mi hike yesterday morning with my dogs and not a sole outdoors. Perfect. With the right gear cold weather hiking can be a great way to spend the day.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Agreed. I did a 4.5 mi hike yesterday morning with my dogs and not a sole outdoors. Perfect. With the right gear cold weather hiking can be a great way to spend the day.

Too many people think they can't go do something or nothing is worth doing if it's not on some TV adventure land show. They hit the rocks all day at work trying to pay for a "once in a life time" trip to the grand canyon or kayaking to Grand Cayman or stuff and they get out a couple times a year if they are lucky.

I don't want to give up my "life time" for that once in a life time trip. I'm doing every thing I want to do right where I can do it every single day.

I've got the list of every museum in Indiana and checking them off as I happen to be there any way for the most part. You don't have to go to NYC to see a Van Gough or Piccaso. The Knobstone trail isn't any prettier than right here. It's just got a sign pointing at it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Too many people think they can't go do something or nothing is worth doing if it's not on some TV adventure land show. They hit the rocks all day at work trying to pay for a "once in a life time" trip to the grand canyon or kayaking to Grand Cayman or stuff and they get out a couple times a year if they are lucky.

I don't want to give up my "life time" for that once in a life time trip. I'm doing every thing I want to do right where I can do it every single day.

I've got the list of every museum in Indiana and checking them off as I happen to be there any way for the most part. You don't have to go to NYC to see a Van Gough or Piccaso. The Knobstone trail isn't any prettier than right here. It's just got a sign pointing at it.

One of the reasons I like my place is that with 150 acres, and part of my income coming from the woods, I spend a lot of my time out in the woods. Unless it is just absolutely miserable out (and to me July, 95f and high humidy where the sweat washed the deet off and the biting flies are so thick you can't see through them is miserable. 10f is refreshing), I'm out in nature almost every day. I'd have a hard time trading it for a desk job.

I agree with the OP who said that Indiana, especially So. Indiana, is really beautiful. I've hiked all over the world and I still enjoy hiking around our woods here in Indiana.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Charles Deam Wilderness has some nice trails , a cave also ...!!! iI use to backpack and hike alot a couple years ago .. still have all my stuff..!!!

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    If you ever want to take a trip to do some backpacking I suggest Isle Royal national park off of wisconson. I have been there a few times and it is a lot of fun. You will come accross lots of wildlife and moose just standing ten feet away from you blocking the trail.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If you ever want to take a trip to do some backpacking I suggest Isle Royal national park off of wisconson. I have been there a few times and it is a lot of fun. You will come accross lots of wildlife and moose just standing ten feet away from you blocking the trail.

I heard that is the least visited NP in the country. I collect NP passport stamps, and I hope someday to have one from that NP. The most out there one that I have to date is Virgin Islands NP.

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I heard that is the least visited NP in the country. I collect NP passport stamps, and I hope someday to have one from that NP. The most out there one that I have to date is Virgin Islands NP.

Yeah there will be people at the port where the ferrys come in for the day but once you hit the trails you MIGHT see someone else.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    How many of you carry while hiking? Also, how do you carry it? I am going to do a little hiking/camping this year and wondered what others suggest?

It seems like a 4inch barrel is lighter and thus easier, but a 6inch is the best bang for your buck for velocity.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    How many of you carry while hiking? Also, how do you carry it? I am going to do a little hiking/camping this year and wondered what others suggest?

It seems like a 4inch barrel is lighter and thus easier, but a 6inch is the best bang for your buck for velocity.

I've not been carrying in any of the hiking pictures or trips I've posted since hunting season was "cached in" for me. I don't because it's not needed and in the event you were to wander a little you'd be in for a lot worse reception I believe. When I'm looking for something new I want people I meet to be receptive and open, willing to share what they know.

I want them to see me as a friendly neighbor interested in the same things they are, not a paranoid nut from "the city" jumping at the mention of snakes, bobcats, meth heads.

You guys do what ya want though. Educate 'em a little. :laugh:

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008

When I went to Denali national park in Alaska to do some backpacking I carried a 500 s&w for bear protection.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I do. My Glock 29 has seen a lot of the country :). I carry bear spray while in bear country. I carry a pistol for the 2 legged predators. While 99.9% of the people I have met in the backcountry have been more decent than those I meet in public, I have also met a few people who really creeped me out and made me glad I was carrying.

Oh, and Jack, anyone I meet while out won't know I'm carrying unless they are threatening me;)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    When I go hiking, I usually carry a 3" .357 revolver with the first round as snake shot/shotshell. The rest are just hollow points. If I am just going to the park to sight see and not really going deep into the woods, I usually just take my standard automatic G22 with me.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The Knobstone Trail, I believe, is the longest trail in IN. Trailhead is at Deam Lake about 20 minutes north of louisville. I have been on the first 12 miles, it is rugged but very scenic, esp. in the fall.
    The Knobstone is by far the best place to hike in the state, but I also enjoy the Deam, Morgan Monroe, Brown County State Park, Hoosier National Forest, and Indiana Dunes.

Top Bottom