• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I hang around alot of climbers..:P I do repell alot, but i mostly stick to the ropes while my skinny buddies lead it. I don't mind climbing top rope but leading and being chunky don't mix..:P
    Down near bedford there is some nice highway cutout climbing on 37s and a buncha really nice caves..:P

So have you been down Fuzzy Hole? I was out there today and now I want to see it top to bottom. 147 foot drop pit. I'm gonna do it here in a few days.

picture.php

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So have you been down Fuzzy Hole? I was out there today and now I want to see it top to bottom. 147 foot drop pit. I'm gonna do it here in a few days.

That's Gory Hole and just FYI, it's closed until May as are all of the caves on the HNF due to White Nose Syndrome, so if you get caught going there you can face a fine and jail time. I know the NF LEOs are kinda thin around here but they are watching the commonly visited caves and pits.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/news_releases/general_releases/Cave_Closure.pdf
    Since the Forest Service has just extended the closure to cover the southern district as well my guess is that the closure will be enforced for another year. Further bad news is that the IDNR has also closed all of the caves on state property for the same reason and the same time period and they are very aggressive about enforcing it. A few of the most popular ones have remote monitoring.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    That's Gory Hole and just FYI, it's closed until May as are all of the caves on the HNF due to White Nose Syndrome, so if you get caught going there you can face a fine and jail time. I know the NF LEOs are kinda thin around here but they are watching the commonly visited caves and pits.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/news_releases/general_releases/Cave_Closure.pdf
    Since the Forest Service has just extended the closure to cover the southern district as well my guess is that the closure will be enforced for another year. Further bad news is that the IDNR has also closed all of the caves on state property for the same reason and the same time period and they are very aggressive about enforcing it. A few of the most popular ones have remote monitoring.

Yeah I've been following that WNBS news since they first started talking about closing the caves on government ground because of it. I think it will do about as much good as trying to stop emeral ash borers or jumping carp but I know they are pretty serious about that fine money when they catch some one.

The guy who's family farmed the ground told me it was called Fuzzy hole. Never really thought about it even being classified as a cave since he said it was straight down.

picture.php

Does it still look like gory hole to you? Is fuzzy hole in the same walking distance area? I'm sort of operating from word of mouth and a conversation a couple years old. From the description a long time ago I expected something that looked sort of like a small Wesly Chapel Gulf but I called him on the phone when I found that and he said that was it.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Fuzzy Hole is a much larger open air pit about a mile southwest of there, also on the HNF. I've done both many, many times (like about once a month for several years for Gory until the WNS closures).

Both the federal and state WNS closures affect caves, pits, sinkholes, rock piles, mines, etc. Pretty much anywhere that that contain bats. The only ones that aren't affected are those on private property, though I know the state IDNR is trying very hard to convince private landowners to close theirs as well (though they have no authority to force them to do so). I've consulted with the assistant director for the IDNR to help ensure the closure request to private landowners stays reasonable.

Putting my biologist hat on, I too think the closures are both an overreaction and ultimately will prove to be pointless, but like all bureaucracies they have to be seen as "doing something." Of course the closures don't affect money making operations (Twin Caves) in the case of the IDNR, and it was interesting to see some of the logic contortions that the AD made to justify it. As I and several others told them, the closures are only going to affect the people who were most likely to decontaminate their gear or not use cross-contaminated gear anyway. That takes care of only a few percent of people who visit caves, everyone else will either not have heard about it or will simply ignore it, so the whole effort was pointless. I told him that the good old boys down south really, really hate the politicians up in the statehouse telling them what to do.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just read up about the dying bats. Interesting stuff for sure. I agree, the spread won't stop. The Earth works this way. 90% of the bats die, but those that don't will reproduce, likely having off-spring that also won't die. In the end, I think genetics play a large part in this.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Putting my biologist hat on, I too think the closures are both an overreaction and ultimately will prove to be pointless, but like all bureaucracies they have to be seen as "doing something." Of course the closures don't affect money making operations (Twin Caves) in the case of the IDNR, and it was interesting to see some of the logic contortions that the AD made to justify it. As I and several others told them, the closures are only going to affect the people who were most likely to decontaminate their gear or not use cross-contaminated gear anyway. That takes care of only a few percent of people who visit caves, everyone else will either not have heard about it or will simply ignore it, so the whole effort was pointless. I told him that the good old boys down south really, really hate the politicians up in the statehouse telling them what to do.

You can bet on that one.

Every aspect of their WNBS reactions is so argueable from every direction even I don't care to even discuss it to be honest.

I think even the people promoting it can see it's a waste of time as you've suggested "They have to appear to be doing something." but I'll ad that they want to look good and it's a chance for them to take advantage. Meaning they are using it to consolodate their own power to control, regulate, and put on the crown supreme over their pet area of interest. The only thing better than owning something is having the free use of it and the only thing better than that is having some one else finance it all and giving you say so over it all.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fuzzy Hole is a much larger open air pit about a mile southwest of there, also on the HNF. I've done both many, many times (like about once a month for several years for Gory until the WNS closures).

That sounds a lot more like the original descriptions I got. I'll find it soon as I have time to make it a real priority. This trip was just sort of a fill in to kill a couple hours. I need to go back to mark it and a couple springs and another private ground cave I found on the same trip with my GPS and I also got out all my maps yesterday so I'm ready to plan out a mission now.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    That sounds a lot more like the original descriptions I got. I'll find it soon as I have time to make it a real priority. This trip was just sort of a fill in to kill a couple hours. I need to go back to mark it and a couple springs and another private ground cave I found on the same trip with my GPS and I also got out all my maps yesterday so I'm ready to plan out a mission now.

Fuzzy is about a hundred and fifty feet across at the top (we practice highlines there) and from the very top to the very bottom is about a hundred feet, but since it slopes to the edge and then the landing point is on the breakdown pile halfway up the actual free drop is only about 35'.

As an interesting side note, Fuzzy wasn't there 60 years ago. It is a good example of a recent collapse. Since the passage into which it collapsed had to be much bigger than the opening that exists now, it would have been a good sized passage. Considering the Colglazier entrance of Bluespring Caverns (the commercial entrance) was a farm pond 50 years ago, it's not surprising.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've found and got out all my maps, old caving books, cave lists, names, and locations and everything I've been saving for "one of these days". There's going to be plenty to do outside around here for a few days.

I'm putting together a more comprehensive type map with the quarries, mines, and old homesteads and stuff on the same map so I can just print up a sheet with everything in an area on the page when I head out for look around.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    1. Buy the best boots you can afford. If you take care of your feet they will take care of you. There is a BIG difference between a true pair of hiking boots and some off the rack boots at Dicks or Bass Pro. Leather quality and sole construction will impact fatigue and soreness.

Morgan Monroe has a nice 10 mile loop trail that is moderate and can be done in a morning.

If heading out into backcountry for any extended hikes I would recommend the Garmin 76Cx GPS Unit. I picked up on this model from some old friends that are field biologists. Also runs marine maps. Pretty sweet.

You can spend a lot of time wandering national forests and don't have to stick to the trails. Get to see some more interesting topography.

Always carry extra batteries.

I would also suggest you buy an Indiana Gazetter and follow up on some of the more recommended hikes and established trails before wandering.

Happy Trails and safe travels.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fuzzy is about a hundred and fifty feet across at the top (we practice highlines there) and from the very top to the very bottom is about a hundred feet, but since it slopes to the edge and then the landing point is on the breakdown pile halfway up the actual free drop is only about 35'.

As an interesting side note, Fuzzy wasn't there 60 years ago. It is a good example of a recent collapse. Since the passage into which it collapsed had to be much bigger than the opening that exists now, it would have been a good sized passage. Considering the Colglazier entrance of Bluespring Caverns (the commercial entrance) was a farm pond 50 years ago, it's not surprising.

More like this?

aFuzzyHole2009RWB654.jpg

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    1. Buy the best boots you can afford. If you take care of your feet they will take care of you. There is a BIG difference between a true pair of hiking boots and some off the rack boots at Dicks or Bass Pro. Leather quality and sole construction will impact fatigue and soreness.

I was just getting ready to post a pic of my brand new hiking boots when I read this. Mine are straight off the rack from Dicks. They feel like you're walking on clouds and have great traction. However, I should admit that I bought them because they're pretty and comfy, not because I do any hiking...but maybe I will in 2010!

100_0463.jpg

Oh, and they probably have a men's version. :)

Last edited:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Merrell makes a great shoe. They are about the only exceptional brand offered at Dicks. The vibram sole and gore tex will make it a great day hiking shoe if sticking to trails. Own a pair myself. Slide in a pair of gel insoles and you can walk all day. The instep is tall enough when you put in an insert it doesn't feel cramped at all. Great for rainy morning dog walks too.

My boot comment was more directed to boots that flex poorly and have pinch points on the soles where you know they will begin to pull apart under hard use. I have bought some cheapies in the past and I seem to get what I pay for in the gear dept. Own a pair of Vasques and a pair of Asolo and have really worked them and help up great.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Morgan Monroe has a nice 10 mile loop trail that is moderate and can be done in a morning.

Morgan Monroe has two 10 mile loop trails. One of them you are allowed to camp overnite on.

As far as gear goes checkout campmor.com they have reasonable prices on gear and cloths.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Merrell makes a great shoe. They are about the only exceptional brand offered at Dicks. The vibram sole and gore tex will make it a great day hiking shoe if sticking to trails. Own a pair myself. Slide in a pair of gel insoles and you can walk all day. The instep is tall enough when you put in an insert it doesn't feel cramped at all. Great for rainy morning dog walks too.

My boot comment was more directed to boots that flex poorly and have pinch points on the soles where you know they will begin to pull apart under hard use. I have bought some cheapies in the past and I seem to get what I pay for in the gear dept. Own a pair of Vasques and a pair of Asolo and have really worked them and help up great.

I was just happy that someone mentioned boots at all...it gave me a chance to show off my new shoes on a gun site. What girl doesn't like a chance to show off her new shoes? :D

And for the record, my hubby totally bought me my new shoes. So everyone should harrass Bubba for giving in and buying his wife shoes for Xmas!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ayep. That'd be Fuzzy. Did you like the big white oak on the trail junction a couple hundred yards away? It's one of my favorite trees.

Oh yes. I had taken a picture of that tree and wandered around Fuzzy twice before I thought of looking for pictures of it on the internet and a picture of that tree sealed the deal telling me with out a doubt I was close and then a couple others gave me the elevation and boom. Next time went almost straight to it.

Top Bottom