Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    They ARE established in southern Indiana
    From @Hookeye ‘s post above.

“Indiana’s current wild pig presence is limited to several counties, a population Backs attributes to a single probable source. According to Backs, in the mid-1990s, a resident of Louisiana used wild pigs as a cover to poach Indiana deer: “This guy would haul in wild hogs and release them. He’d hunt deer in the same location at night and when approached, he’d claim he was hunting hogs.”

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven

“Indiana’s current wild pig presence is limited to several counties, a population Backs attributes to a single probable source. According to Backs, in the mid-1990s, a resident of Louisiana used wild pigs as a cover to poach Indiana deer: “This guy would haul in wild hogs and release them. He’d hunt deer in the same location at night and when approached, he’d claim he was hunting hogs.”
    My buddy knew the guy well, said he was a he!! Of a cook too. Pigs are pretty much gone from around home, haven't seen or shot one since 18.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Anyone who's ever lived on or near a hog farm knows they can be deadly.
    Hog lots would sometimes be used to dispose of unwanted carcasses.
    Hogs will eat just about anything.
    When I was 16, my first full-time job was at a hog/dairy farm. One of my least favorite jobs was to take the old Farmall M, hitched to a corn bin wagon and go around and feed sows. The corn and pellet feed had to be poured out on a concrete slab to keep it out of the mud, but in one pasture the concrete slab was about 20 yards inside the fence. So, I had to climb the fence, with two 5-gallon buckets of corn and pellets, and wade through 50 squealing, screeching 300 lb sows and get the buckets to the slab without getting them knocked out of my hands, or tripping and falling. I was probably 135 lbs myself at that time.

By the time I'd get set up and get my buckets full, the sows would be crowded around the crossing spot, so my trick was to first put two buckets at the fence down a ways before I put my other buckets at the crossing spot. Then I'd walk down and sling the first two buckets across into the dirt, and then sprint back to the crossing spot and get across the fence while most of the sows were distracted. It was not a job for the faint-of-heart.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

I saw them in Lawrence county BEFORE the mid 90’s, and they are STILL here

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    My stepdad grew up on a hog farm. His "favorite" story was when he was around 7 years old, his dad brought him to the barn after a litter (if that's what you call it) of piglets were born. Two of the piglets had defects and were kind of messed up though, like missing legs and eyes, so his dad handed him a 2x4 and told him to get to work bashing their heads in before dinner time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I knew they were dangerous but those statistics were a bit shocking. That said, let me know when farmers begin begging people to come kill them off of their property. Until then, they aren't a problem.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My stepdad grew up on a hog farm. His "favorite" story was when he was around 7 years old, his dad brought him to the barn after a litter (if that's what you call it) of piglets were born. Two of the piglets had defects and were kind of messed up though, like missing legs and eyes, so his dad handed him a 2x4 and told him to get to work bashing their heads in before dinner time.
    After we got done in the farrowing sheds there were a lot of them that were missing two things. :lmfao:

Top Bottom