• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I keep seeing people talk about an "ammo shortage," in particular folks saying they can't find any .45 ACP ammo. Usually goes along the lines of "Walmart hasn't had any in xxx number of days/weeks."

Well, I just called five guns stores. ALL FIVE had .45 ammo in stock. JHPs and ball. WWB at $45 per 100, PMC, Blazer, Remington ball, DPX, Gold Dots, ect. I found a wide variety of .45 ammo in the gun stores, and plenty of it. I've done this before with 9mm & .38 Special, with similar results.

There are more and better places to buy ammo than just Walmart, folks. And just because Wally world is out, doesn't mean there's no ammo to be had! Cathy and I have yet to miss a shooting session due to lack of ammo.

Now, large pistol primers, otoh, are rare has hen's teeth. Looks like I'm waiting another two+ weeks on that!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Sorry but still can't find it any where around Ft. Wayne. When they do put some out its gone in hours. And thats not just at the local walmart.

wtfd661,

I'll be up in Metro Detroit again this Friday. Gonna shoot with an old HS buddy. His late father was a head detective for a local 'burb PD and he inherited his guns. We're going to have a range tribute.....
    I'll PM you once I survey the local Wally World. I think you are looking for their price point am I right?

If so I'll bring as many as you will COMMIT to. They are well stocked up there....go figure.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes I see more Walmart threads poping up. You can get ammo online cheaper then Walmart a lot of times. If need be, save up and get 500 rounds. I have been buying the bigest bulk of my ammo from Acme in Seymour. Reasonable prices, and they always have stock. Once, and a while i'll buy a box of .40 in Walfart.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Some of the retailers in my area have started receiving small shipments of ammunition lately. Prices are somewhat reasonable, not having risen much after the rush.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I think the general compaint is that many local gun stores that DO have ammo, are way overpriced. Now I am no Walmart fan, but most of the time they are 20%-50% cheaper. You cannot convince me that Walmart pays less than $30 for WWB .45 but my local store is forced to pay nearly $45 for the same thing?! I can't afford to shop the locals for plinking ammo. That is a 50% upcharge. No one would think that was acceptable in any other marketable good. Unfortunately, everyone is trying to capitalize on the shortages. Walmart is the ONLY place that I have seen that has not significantly raised gun-related prices.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I keep seeing people talk about an "ammo shortage," in particular folks saying they can't find any .45 ACP ammo. Usually goes along the lines of "Walmart hasn't had any in xxx number of days/weeks."

Well, I just called five guns stores. ALL FIVE had .45 ammo in stock. JHPs and ball. WWB at $45 per 100, PMC, Blazer, Remington ball, DPX, Gold Dots, ect. I found a wide variety of .45 ammo in the gun stores, and plenty of it. I've done this before with 9mm & .38 Special, with similar results.

There are more and better places to buy ammo than just Walmart, folks. And just because Wally world is out, doesn't mean there's no ammo to be had! Cathy and I have yet to miss a shooting session due to lack of ammo.

Now, large pistol primers, otoh, are rare has hen's teeth. Looks like I'm waiting another two+ weeks on that!

Joe,

I would agree that it is available, but technically over the past 6-10 months all ammo has been available online, it all comes down to what you're willing to pay for it. I feel that most of us (yes, me included) prefer if at all possible to purchase the least expensive (for me brass cased) ammo that I can for plinking, and this usually means heading to Walmart or Rural King. For my purposes .45 ammo should cost less than it's name per round but as of right now that's tough to find.

Thanks

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

Precision Cartridge Hobart, IN commercial reloads 45acp TMJ=$317/1000; JHP=$355/1000. Same prices since March. Why pay more?

Gunruner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I think the general compaint is that many local gun stores that DO have ammo, are way overpriced. Now I am no Walmart fan, but most of the time they are 20%-50% cheaper. You cannot convince me that Walmart pays less than $30 for WWB .45 but my local store is forced to pay nearly $45 for the same thing?! I can't afford to shop the locals for plinking ammo. That is a 50% upcharge. No one would think that was acceptable in any other marketable good. Unfortunately, everyone is trying to capitalize on the shortages. Walmart is the ONLY place that I have seen that has not significantly raised gun-related prices.

I really hate to burst your bubble, but here is a paste from one of my supplies that I buy from.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CCI3570 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CCI/BLAZER 45ACP 230GR FMJ 50/1000 (not brass)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14.76[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WNSC45NT [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WIN SPR CLN 45ACP 170GR JFP 50/500[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17.98[/FONT]
    These are the actual prices that I pay, plus shipping. Wal-Mart buys by the train load and has warehouses to store years worth. If there is price increases, they don't get hit by them.

And if you like, I can send show you a few more prices.

I won't rant about walmart being anti-gun/donating to anit-gun groups.

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    6 months ago you couldn't hardly but ammo or reloading supplies at any of the gun shows. that seems to be over now and most everything is pretty available, except for .380, still kinda scarce.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I had an interesting talk last week with a fellow in the ammunition industry. He said that the general consensus is that the people that bought guns right after the presidential election have their ammo and now the shortage is due to people rat packing large amounts of ammo for possible SHFT scenarios. Also, the number of new gun buyers is still climbing each month so there is a twofold need for more ammo currently. Not my .02 worth, but an industry insider…

Top Bottom