• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So in the Amazon facilities they don't have truck drivers, forklift operators, electrician/maintenance dept, actual delivery drivers. I guess FedEx, UPS, postal workers etc are just basically burger flippers. :dunno:

Seems to be a lot of arrogance and self importance these days.
    You denigrated fast food workers, and call others arrogant...

After watching Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs for years, I've lost the taste for denigrating any job.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The company is heavily bloated with management, and they are not willing to pay for good management. They would apparently rather have a revolving door of fresh people. It works out I guess there is always someone to blame things on and it isn't really a loss when they go. Keeps the dirt off of upper managements hands that way, even though they are the ones creating the mess.

Sure warehousing has different positions of skilled labor, but I sure would rather loose McDonald's before I lost all the delivery and warehouse workers. That alone tells me which one is more important.

Yeah, but no matter the importance level of a job, how much are you going to pay an unskilled worker who is doing manual labor?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    According to the union commentary this thread, all business management is terrible. The new union at Amazon must believe the same thing?

What should the new Amazon union do to start the takeover of that company, the same way as your union?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    According to the union commentary this thread, all business management is terrible. The new union at Amazon must believe the same thing?

What should the new Amazon union do to start the takeover of that company, the same way as your union?

Not all.

But because a union wouldn't be good where you work, doesn't mean unions are useless all over.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You denigrated fast food workers, and call others arrogant...

After watching Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs for years, I've lost the taste for denigrating any job.
    I didn't denigrate anyone. I simply stated which one I see as more important to the economy, and I think warehousing and delivery drivers win hands down. It wasn't me that put all Amazon employees as entry level maybe you can read back.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah, but no matter the importance level of a job, how much are you going to pay an unskilled worker who is doing manual labor?
    You do realize that all the products in the stores are there because of warehousing and delivery right. Amazon is dependant on them for the business, if all of the Amazon warehouses were to unite and organize then they would have something.

I don't know how important this one facility is to Amazon.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You do realize that all the products in the stores are there because of warehousing and delivery right. Amazon is dependant on them for the business, if all of the Amazon warehouses were to unite and organize then they would have something.

I don't know how important this one facility is to Amazon.

I worked warehouse for years, so I kinda have a little bit of an understanding.

My guess is the one warehouse isn't that important to Amazon, but I guess we'll have to see.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I worked warehouse for years, so I kinda have a little bit of an understanding.

My guess is the one warehouse isn't that important to Amazon, but I guess we'll have to see.
    It was mentioned up thread that this facility might be more important than some. I don't know if that's correct or not. We will see.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That is dam good money. What a shame folks are not applying.
    I see commercials all the time run by the iron workers and electrical union looking for apprentices. Back in ye olden days, like the 90s, you had to know somebody to get into those trades.

Tool making was the same back then, and I didn't know anybody. I had every door in town slammed in my face 2-3 times. One shop owner either admired my perseverance, or was just sick of me. He gave me the phone number for the man who ran the apprenticeship program for the department of labor. He said that guy would know what shops had apprentices close to finishing the program and I might get lucky if I targeted them.

I called that grouchy old SOB once a week for months. Again, either my perseverance or my ability to be a PITA moved him. He told me of a shop that was about to have an opening, said he'd put in a good work for me. That got me in the door.

In the last 10 years we've had exactly zero kids complete an apprenticeship. Had about a half dozen start. They were all losers. The kid we have now will probably make it. His dad is an engineer I've worked with in the past. One of the few that holds tool makers in high esteem. He'll beat the kid if he messes up.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of the few that holds tool makers in high esteem.
    At one of my stints at Allison when I was a GMI student (Industrial Engineering at the time), I was in the Plant Layout department, and my job was to design "hooks" (that's we called them - they were purpose-built material handling devices). I don't know if it would qualify as "tool maker", but our maintenance department made our "hooks".

We had one guy that everyone called Fergy (I think his last name was Ferguson) that was amazing. The joke used to be that Fergy could weld two pieces of paper together. The other guys in that department were good, but Fergy always went the extra mile. After fabricating my design, he'd sandblast it or something to totally hide all his welds. Those things were works of art! They were mostly made from CRS (Cold Rolled Steel) or BIP (Black Iron Pipe). I loved it when Fergy got assigned one of my designs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I see commercials all the time run by the iron workers and electrical union looking for apprentices. Back in ye olden days, like the 90s, you had to know somebody to get into those trades.

Tool making was the same back then, and I didn't know anybody. I had every door in town slammed in my face 2-3 times. One shop owner either admired my perseverance, or was just sick of me. He gave me the phone number for the man who ran the apprenticeship program for the department of labor. He said that guy would know what shops had apprentices close to finishing the program and I might get lucky if I targeted them.

I called that grouchy old SOB once a week for months. Again, either my perseverance or my ability to be a PITA moved him. He told me of a shop that was about to have an opening, said he'd put in a good work for me. That got me in the door.

In the last 10 years we've had exactly zero kids complete an apprenticeship. Had about a half dozen start. They were all losers. The kid we have now will probably make it. His dad is an engineer I've worked with in the past. One of the few that holds tool makers in high esteem. He'll beat the kid if he messes up.

Very few seem to want to, or know how to, use a wrench or screwdriver.
    And few are willing to learn.
    They've been sold that manual labor is BENEATH them.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    What we do earn are things most of the non union workers dont get.

A penison
    An 11% gross company paid annuity
    Unbelievable Health, dental and vision
    Five weeks paid vacation
    Is that one of the reasons many jobs went overseas?

I'm happy you got so much, but at the expense of others?

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN

Used to be the same where I work. Now, you have to bribe them to work for you.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Something must be wrong if people aren't applying?

Drug testing? Attendance requirements? Negative work environment?

Hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
    What worthwhile employment doesn't have drug testing and good attendance in order to keep your job?
    Some employeers dont even test for weed any longer.

Why have all the Indiana Distribution centers have Help Wanted signs on the sides of the buildings for years now?
    Walmart picking rates can get a smart worker almost $32.00 an hour.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What education do your carpenders and laborers receive?
    And what education do they have to keep current?
    Now that you know what I do, what union are you in.
    I have to ask because some on here seem to think that if you are not in the union you have no skills and that you will work unsafely.
    I guess if you buy a union card all of a sudden you no longer do unsafe **** and your IQ level jumps 65 points.

All of our people go through a 30 hour OSHA which is more than most union contractors can say.
    As far as training many are ex union and many are in their 40s with a lot of on the job previous experience.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is that one of the reasons many jobs went overseas?

I'm happy you got so much, but at the expense of others?
    How do you export workers that install equipment, machinery build buildings?
    How does one export say,
    Union Ironworkers
    Union Pipe fitters
    Union Sprinkler fitters
    Union Steam fitters
    Union Glaziers
    Union Elevator
    And on and on.

Top Bottom