• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot my recurve about 60 times today.
    It's an old 60# Blackwidow HS58 with B 50 string.

My previous BW's were fastlfite strung SA2 models, of 55 and 57#.
    Those shot GT55/75 shafts 30.5" long with 50 gr added to insert (tips were 125gr).
    Shot great.

Thinking this rig of slightly more #, might try the same shaft. Needed 50 gr more last yr to get it to shoot good.

That got me thinking............those 100gr brass inserts. Might I be able to go with 35/55 shafts?
    Picked some up, cut 'em an inch shorter.............and they bareshafted left of aim, went in nock right.

Screwed 50 gr weight to insert and was drilling the bull at 20 yards, bare shafts nice n straight...................bare shaft.

Oh yeah, I know what my 3D arrow will be this yr! Still a B50 pooch, but not as doggy as it was with the others.
    Too bad this pig aint a last run HS58 and capable of fastflite :(

60 arrows (or more), hold for 3-5 seconds per shot............was kinda wimpy laying off since deer season. Feel pretty good, but that might be due to the 6th Glass beer ;)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just got certified by USAA and NFAA as a level 1 archery instructor. Built a target during the winter out of insulation board stuffed with cardboard. I never believed it would stop arrows from my 60# compound, but it does nicely after testing last week. Just somewhat difficult to get the arrows back out. My 11 year old son is learning to shoot his Bear Apprentice (left hand) and doing well so far.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I did it, I joined the dark side. I have shot traditional from about 6 years old and I took a vow to never hunt with a compound. It was "against" the code. However, I don't have the time to shoot like I need to with my recurve this summer, I also like the "gizmos" on the compounds. I bought a 2013 Hoyt Charger today and my buddy is hooking me up with his HHA Sport Optimizer with the R.D.S. and a drop away rest. I enjoy going to the woods with my recurve and enjoying nature and taking whatever shot may be presented. However, my hunting has changed the past few years. I'm there to put meat on the ground and I feel the compound will give me an edge. Let me be clear, I am not done hunting with the stick an string but, this year, I'm trying something new.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    hookeye i saw your post above about your older widow and it reminded of one i had. I had a black widow (pre CNC) that I had problem getting to shoot consistently and quietly. I finally took off the D97 string and made a B50/Dacron string that really did the trick. i used that bow for 3D for a couple years. i never seemed to notice the little slower speed but really liked how smooth it shot. other widows i've owned (mostly their longbows for the last 6-7 yrs) I only got them to shoot 8190 strings. kind of makes you wonder why a lot of bows new and old definitely shoot better with Dacron. they all have their own personality. that's what i love about traditional.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had two Fastflite BW SA2's, one handcrafted, the other CNC. Both ran Dyna 97 and shot great.
    But I ran a pretty stiff arrow and had my brace height pretty high. Speedy and quiet :)

55 and 57# @28"..............GT 55/75 30.5" long with 50 gr added to insert, 125 gr tip. Ran 5" helical feathers off gapped Velcro rest.

I run 4" now, did on my Samick Phantom, Tradtech Pinnacle 2, and Hoyt Dorado. Those all shot the same arrow, were 54-58# rigs.
    The Phantom and TT had the riser modified for more centershot and the grips tweaked as well (to be more Widow like).

If I didn't cut them they'd not have shot that arrow well.

I'm nursing a pinched nerve in the neck, so my 60# HS is just hanging on the wall. If this crap won't get better it looks like I'll have to dump it and get a 50# PCH.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    hope your neck gets better. I used to shoot bob lee recurves. I had one that had 2 sets of limbs. perfect setup in my mind. one set was 52# for 3D shooting and the other was 59# for hunting. that year I shot 3D with lots of confidence and when sept rolled around I put my 59# limbs on for oct 1. about 2 weeks later my draw shoulder hurt so bad I couldn't even climb with my summit tree stand. I thought my season was ruined but I found a great season on the ground. shoulder healed by itself after quite awhile. and I still love hunting from the ground on my waldrop pacseat. but I have to stay around 45-50# or I feel my shoulder warning me again. today I still like my widow longbow the best. but I shot my tradtech titan with hoyt limbs 45# really well. sold it to buy a 45# hoyt buffalo. really like the buffalo. shoots so smooth. but when it comes time to go hunting I have to grab a good old wood bow.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    My new Hoyt Faktor 30 arrived from Palm Beach Archery today.

I put probably 100 arrows or more downrange this evening. Getting it dialed in.

:D

57063E4F-6F3B-4991-9DEB-A52F4BB8B224.jpg

Replaced this old boy:

bow.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Tore down the Frank Ketchum and ordered some Tradtech 45#.............will be my 3D rig this yr.

Teaser..............still gotta change the stab insert and strip for painting......

Iji2V0w.jpg

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    2013 Hoyt Charger. I put Vaportrails on it and also have green air shocks coming in to match the strings. QAD hunter rest, HHA OL-5019. Gonna run bloodlines, Exodus boradheads and cleanshot lighted nocks.

dgrtec.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    HHA? Swapped my vert pin front to a Viper 340 (yanked 2 of the 3 pins) and had a fine horizontal with no level.
    Loved that sight!

BTW, short 50# coming from Tradtech............

(riser painted, just needs cleared now).

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    HHA? Swapped my vert pin front to a Viper 340 (yanked 2 of the 3 pins) and had a fine horizontal with no level.
    Loved that sight!

BTW, short 50# coming from Tradtech............

(riser painted, just needs cleared now).

HHA Sports Optimizer Lite Ultra Bow Sight at MacksPW.com

It's a really nice sight. It was my buddies and he can't shoot single pin in his league this year so sold it to me at a steep discount. I really like the single pins.

Top Bottom