AK Build Party at USDS on 5/2/2015 (10:00 am)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Wabbit was your front trunnion pretty tight fitting in your receiver?

Yes. I had to use the paper template method (fold on trunnion, mark holes, tape to receiver) to drill the holes because the trunnion wouldn't slide off and on easily. I used the always reliable rubber mallet to get the trunnion to slide into position.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    How much do I love you guys? A lot apparently! ;)

I've been wanting to buy some tools from Robert Forbus, and this build party gave me some motivation.

so new AK tools have been procured! debut at they build party if I don't get to it sooner.

aktools.JPG

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Clay you spoil us! but dont feel bad im about the spend the money on a 1.5mm bending jig if no one else does ....Wabbit i'm i believe im going do the same but iv though about making the hole locater tool at you see on akbuilder all the time...(basically a set of cheap needle nose pillers and two rivets tacked to them)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    That's funny all this talk about tools. I'm building a new tool for myself. My front site on my RPK is just slightly canted, just enough to bug me, and I can't get the thing off with the rubber mallet. Since the bipod is behind the FSB, I can't push it off like I normally do. I've cut two pieces of steel and drilling holes so a class 8 bolt will fit behind the fsb and another under the barrel rod area. I'm hoping that will hold the FSB is place as I push the barrel out.

Clay if you already have a tool for removing the FSB off your RPK, please let me know.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Wabbit i had to do the same thing on mine twice to get it align properly i used the bottom of the bipod yoke (right where the cleaning rod goes through) and cut a section of bar stock to a length that supported the other side... however it extends all the way to the front sight (there's a nice flat spot around the front sight barrel)

rpk barrel press.jpg

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Wabbit i had to do the same thing on mine twice to get it align properly i used the bottom of the bipod yoke (right where the cleaning rod goes through) and cut a section of bar stock to a length that supported the other side... however it extends all the way to the front sight (there's a nice flat spot around the front sight barrel)

Your front site location looks good, but don't you worry that the bipod could get crushed if the FSB is really stuck in there?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Shouldn't take much to get it to move and it should be pretty smooth... if you run into Resistance try apply heat and try again (the front sight is thin on the side and it will heat up quickly) but avoid to much heat on the barrel its self ...however try oiling it first it probly will surprise you how easy it will press out if its straight. if its slightly out of alignment it will bind requiring additional force and increases risk of damaging something.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any tools other than hand tools and a dremel. Is there anything I should get? or will there be enough to borrow?

Also decided to go with a receiver flat, will there be the equipment/time to heat treat it?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i cant speak for any of the other build parties but the first no one had time to do any heat treating ....but childersguns does offer preheat treated bent blanks (and i will be bringing my drill jig along) Clay is the only one i know that drilled a prehardened on it yet.... i have multiple gun havent found time to drill any yet (perhaps i will get one out and try) lack of spare time is kill me right now though

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ^^^^^^^
    Thanks for the info! Did you actually do a 5.56 build? Was fitting the mags a pain? Any special items needed?

Yes but a galil was the reason i originally bought them... i and im building two more one beryl clone and the other a ak 102..... best to build on a 74 receiver i dont believe i have ever adjusted a mag well.... bullet guides dont matter all three work flawlessly ... i recommend a bulg .223 bolt as they have spring loaded firing pins (.223) primers are soft but a 5.45 bolt works great as well (i have never had a slam fire before but its still a concern) the .223 bolt is large stemmed therefore your using a 47 trunnion and bcg... i hope to have my AK102 done before the event if so ill bring it along for you too check out (but im still in school and free time at the moment is difficult to get)

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For anyone else I strongly recomend buying a completed receiver pre-party.
    ...childersguns does offer preheat treated bent blanks...

I some how missed their site earlier and thats why I went with just a flat from where I got the parts kit. I guess I still have time to order one. Should I get any of their options like pre drilled trunnion holes, center support, or reinforcement plate?

Top Bottom