AK Build Party at USDS on 5/2/2015 (10:00 am)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Hey guys, been on the board awhile but obviously don't post. Just signed up and will mail $$ in the morning. Been wanting an AK and wanting to build for awhile so this seems like the perfect time. Going to watch your video's to get a head start here. If anyone want to share some advice before I start shopping for a kit and 80% it would be greatly appreciated. From what ive been seeing most 80% seem to be about the same, some heat treated some not.

Thanks,
    Jordan

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I would be willing to offer help and tooling...but I have no reason to bring projects...I helped on the first build party

i have a drill press, polish drill jig for the folded blanks, 2-tothtool barrel install/remove tool both of them (free's up a press for barrel work), all the ak builder rivet/ barrel tools, headspace gauges .223,5.45x39,7.62x39, and 7.62x54r and the tothtool rivet bolt-cutter setup (it actually does a better job than ak-builders hydraulic rivet tool), and other stuff random tools, punches, dremel, ect...

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The other day at the Yeager meet and eat in Greenwood, this build party was mentioned in conversation.

He brought up something about the hosting FFL probably being liable for some kind of excise tax on the firearms built on premises - even though each individual gun owner would be doing the build themselves.

This probably needs to be looked at "officially" by the FFL-holder...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The other day at the Yeager meet and eat in Greenwood, this build party was mentioned in conversation.

He brought up something about the hosting FFL probably being liable for some kind of excise tax on the firearms built on premises - even though each individual gun owner would be doing the build themselves.

This probably needs to be looked at "officially" by the FFL-holder...
    I spoke with the owners about this the day after I had talked further with yeager about it, and since we are renting the facility we are fine. USDS is not putting this on this is just a private event. But thanks for the mention.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    As TT said, make sure you hit the signup link at top. After the last big party, Clay and I talked about how to set the next party up so everyone can get through it quickly. This will give us an idea on what to expect for kits and how to setup stations.

duffman: I'm glad you have 5.56mm and 54R gauges. I don't have either since I have not built a rifle in that caliber yet.

An update on my pre-party RPK build. Front trunnion rivets are in. Drilling a 1.5 mm with the bulging cheeks was a challenge. I'm very proud of my formed long rivet head (nearest the front of the receiver).

attachment.php

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    not at all my first ak build was a psl... some presses have trouble handling the barrel length but im pretty sure my tothtool takes care of that.... and special care needs to be to support the chamber ridge (i made a tool for it ..ugly but a few of you guys have used it) but other than that its exactly the same

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Just wanted to say I won't be making it to the build party! My wife has a family member thats getting married, and for whatever reason that date didnt get put on our "official" calendar... Hope you guys have fun and post pics of some finished projects! I'll just patiently wait for the NEXT build party! Thanks again to Clay, Duffman, and everyone else again for their help a while back at a previous party! Had to post a pic, not sure if I have since it was done, I was kinda slacking...

Have fun!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I spoke with the owners about this the day after I had talked further with yeager about it, and since we are renting the facility we are fine. USDS is not putting this on this is just a private event. But thanks for the mention.

If this was an issue at all (even though I know it's not) it would only be an issue with those who built rifles from flats.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    sorry to hear it man, but I guess that's life (or wife? lol)

and GOOD looking PSL! Glad you got it finished up!

Just wanted to say I won't be making it to the build party! My wife has a family member thats getting married, and for whatever reason that date didnt get put on our "official" calendar... Hope you guys have fun and post pics of some finished projects! I'll just patiently wait for the NEXT build party! Thanks again to Clay, Duffman, and everyone else again for their help a while back at a previous party! Had to post a pic, not sure if I have since it was done, I was kinda slacking...

Have fun!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I think it might be. It was JUST short enough to fit in to 20T press we were using to press it back in the receiver. If I recall we had to tear off the pinned on FH so it would fit in the press. Shoots great though! Got probably 500 rds through it so far.

Top Bottom