• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Next addition to the collection is going to be a tactical shotgun. I like the mossberg line and price range. Saigas look cool, little more than I'd like to spend though.

Any general comments and advice appreciated.

jimgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Tx for the reply. I'm leaning towards a collapsable stock to begin with. Have you researched sights?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have a Mossberg 590, with the front post and ghost ring sight on the back. I like it. I have never added any lights or cool stuff like that, but the gun holds eight in the tube and I have the four more in the stock. It is accurate with slugs, and I can shoot clay birds with it if I want.

When I was a reserve officer I carried it in the car. The safety can be easily reached with either hand. I like that the plunger release is behind the trigger guard not in front like on an 870. Good gun in my book. I have not put the rounds through it I have my pistols so I cannot say for certain that it is as rugged as it looks. I have a 500A model that was one third the price back in the early 1990's that I have shot a ton of birds with and it is holding up well. I think the 590 is even stronger so I expect it to hold up.

Good luck with your decision. I have the straight stock so no opinion about that.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    REMINGTON

Go with the Remington 870
    Prob more acc than any other Scattergun out there plus it has a proven track record

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    There is NO SUCH THING as a tactical shotgun. Only tactical shotgunners. There is no amount of black plastic, whizbang gadgetry that you can affix to you shotgun that will "buy you skill".

It is the amount of rounds fired down the tube that builds proficiency with a shotgun. I've seen folks with $1500 Benelli M4s miss the side of the proverbial barn and Jeebus help them if they ever found themselves in a firefight. On the flip side, I've seen a few hilljacks with a single shot H&R that excel in ventilating targets at < 50yards.

Get a reputable shotgun, with a fixed stock, that fits and fire a case (250rds) down the tube. Then decide what your shotgun needs.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is NO SUCH THING as a tactical shotgun. Only tactical shotgunners. There is no amount of black plastic, whizbang gadgetry that you can affix to you shotgun that will "buy you skill".

It is the amount of rounds fired down the tube that builds proficiency with a shotgun. I've seen folks with $1500 Benelli M4s miss the side of the proverbial barn and Jeebus help them if they ever found themselves in a firefight. On the flip side, I've seen a few hilljacks with a single shot H&R that excel in ventilating targets at < 50yards.

Get a reputable shotgun, with a fixed stock, that fits and fire a case (250rds) down the tube. Then decide what your shotgun needs.

Amen. Preach on!:patriot::yesway::draw:

jimgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008

tx for the advice. where's a good spot in the metro indy area to get shotgunner type practice. tx again.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I went the following route when I did my Tac SG.

- Moss 500
    - Knoxx SpecOps Stock
    - Light
    - SideSaddle

moss500_2006_0001.jpg

moss500_2006_0002.jpg

More pics

So what this all teach me?
    1) The sidesaddle looks cool but it's not needed. Why? Well this is my home PD SG meaning I'm not going out trying to bust into someone's house with it so I really don't need the "extra" shells. I have bigger problems if 1 B comes in and I use all 8 rounds (7 in tube and 1 in chamber) and I can not hit the BG! Do you really expect to have multple BG rob you that you are going to need 8 + 6 shells? Also the extra wight on the side "unbalances the SG" and it makes it a lot heavier.

2) Light is a toss up. It has it's pros-cons and I'm not sure if I would get it again.

3) Knoxx SpecOps Stock FOR SURE for me at least. It helps a lot with the recoil especially with slugs. Off course if you practice enough the recoil is a non-issue but since either me or the wife will pick up this gun and the wife is more recoil senative this stock helps us both.

Now if I could do it over I would go with a REM 870 only becuase of the pistol grip. On the Moss WITHOUT the pistol grip the release button is in a natural position for your hand via the way you hold the stock. Meaning you don't have to move your fingers off the trigger to reach it. When you add the pistol grip on the Moss you 'lose' this since the way your hand now holds the SG is different and unless you have real long fingers you need to move off the trigger to get to the release button. The complete opposite occurs on the REM 870 (from what I have been told and read).

Overall however the better advise is not just to go to the range with your SG to practice but to ACTUALLY practice at home. Do dry runs on what rooms do you need to clear, how are you going to move in the hallway with this SG, where do you stand, where do you retreat to, how and where do you meet your family, etc.

My wife thinks I'm crazy cause at least once a quater I put dummy rounds in SG and in the middle of the night say 1 or 2AM I set the alarm and have the family go thru a drill. Yes it's crazy perhaps but it's a good learning experince on what does, does not work, what you can improve, and it gets everyone a bit more ready just in case we ever have a REAL drill.

So join the paranoid club and PRACTICE so you can do it in your sleep if need be. You practice driving before getting your driver's license right? This is no different. Enjoy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Those are 2006 pics when I finish putting it together. It was fired a few times (less than 20 shells) before it was setup like that. I was living in CA at the time and it was very HARD to get any range time with it in CA.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Those are 2006 pics when I finish putting it together. It was fired a few times (less than 20 shells) before it was setup like that. I was living in CA at the time and it was very HARD to get any range time with it in CA.

I noticed the 2006 stamp, but wasn't sure if that was correct.

So how many rounds fired since the initial 20?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sadly none after setting it up like this in CA before household goods were packed and we shipped to IN (finally). Since being here I have only had time to go the range where my .22 rifle and handgun is allowed. The week of the Indy 1500 I will finally have the opportunity to shoot this SG.

Dummy rounds have been the only thing it has cycled for about 2 years now since there a few and far the ranges that SG are allowed up in NWI.

*sigh and cries*

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    870s???

I agree with the Rem. 870s..... check out one of the site sponsers web sites: TacticalShotgunner.com Ron is here in Indy.

Here are 2 Rem 870s w/ Mesa Tactical stock sets, breacher barrels and Scattergun Tech. extensions (side saddles, rear peeps and better slings in the future).... Ron set these up for my son and I:

870s002.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Next addition to the collection is going to be a tactical shotgun. I like the mossberg line and price range. Saigas look cool, little more than I'd like to spend though.

Any general comments and advice appreciated.

Buy a Remington.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    870s are great guns, but with the rounds that an average shooter puts down range in a lifetime, you won't (likely) retire a Mossberg or Remington.

Comes down to where you like your safety and slide release.

Personally, I own both Mossberg and Remington.

I "retired" my Mossberg shotgun after about 10 shots.

"Retired" my Mossberg 22mag after about 10 long years.

Swored I'd never own another Mossberg ANY THING and with in a month I got my uncle's old rifle. You guessed it, a mossberg 146 b, 22, short long and long rifle. I have to admit that is a nice rifle and shoots great. Came from the factory with an adjustable trigger.

I'll make an exception for old Mossberg bolt action target rifles made before they ever put serial numbers on them.

Other than that I don't want another Mossberg anything ever again even if they are giving them away.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I could be wrong, but it looks like a pain to get that safety off on a Mossberg with a pistol grip and stock. Go with Remington or (my personal choice) Benelli.

EDIT: It's already been mentioned about the safety - guess I should read the whole message.

Top Bottom