• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Are you self employed or do you roll a truck for an established shop.

Free agent, actually just finishing up my Industrial Tech degree. Most of my work right now is for family/friends or family owned rental units. Once that degree is finished I'm thinking of following it into an engineering higher degree.

At 15amp I suppose the locked rotor amps would kick over that 15 limit pretty quickly.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    LOL could also be a dog pissing every 15mins on the contactor. We will call him sparky! :):

lmao! I went to fix an a/c once, it was only supposed to be about 2 years old. When I opened the gate and turned the corner I thought a scrap guy had hit the unit. But it was odd because they only took the bottom 18 inches of alum fins off the condenser. I didn't even know what to think, after a few minutes it finally hit me that their dogs were using it as a VERY expensive urinal. Acidic dog urine and condenser fins don't mix well, or maybe they mix too well.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Free agent, actually just finishing up my Industrial Tech degree. Most of my work right now is for family/friends or family owned rental units. Once that degree is finished I'm thinking of following it into an engineering higher degree.

At 15amp I suppose the locked rotor amps would kick over that 15 limit pretty quickly.

how many years you been in the field?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    how many years you been in the field?
    I did 2 years apprenticeship (go get this, carry that cool this joint crawl in that yuckiness), then a year or so off, then back into it for the last 3 or 4 years. I'd consider this time off again as I'm only doing a little here and there. I'm doing 8 week semesters of 9 credit hours, homework and studies are a bit intense for a guy who hasn't been in college for 13 years.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did 2 years apprenticeship (go get this, carry that cool this joint crawl in that yuckiness), then a year or so off, then back into it for the last 3 or 4 years. I'd consider this time off again as I'm only doing a little here and there. I'm doing 8 week semesters of 9 credit hours, homework and studies are a bit intense for a guy who hasn't been in college for 13 years.

Good on you my brother....stay the course and get out of the yuckiness.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Good on you my brother....stay the course and get out of the yuckiness.
    Indeed! I've been looking at going for a Maintenance Engineering BA. I haven't quite decided my final course, I know I don't want to go with Electrical Engineering tho.

I have several friends who are Engineers, one has been an Engineer for Allison's for going on 15 years and he loves it. All I can say is waking up and getting dressed for a job you love is amazing! I'm getting there, a little on the late side, but I'm sure things will work out.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Those slash and burn outfits have to feed the huge office staff/truck fleets/insurance/fuel cards and still rack a 35% profit.

One outfit I really hate...told my neighbor his TXV was bad and it was $1590 to replace the TXV but they couldn't guarantee that was the problem so the evap coil would have to be replaced too... For the low low price of $3400! It was a 2 1/2 ton Bryant air handler less than 5 years old. They said for $6400 they would replace the whole system. I laughed when I saw the blue and white van in front of his house. He came over a couple hours later and asked me if I could look at it. Told him it was the TXV... Changed it the next day with a new drier and cleaned the evap when it was out. Needless to say it wasn't $3400! They are douchbags.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    One outfit I really hate...told my neighbor his TXV was bad and it was $1590 to replace the TXV but they couldn't guarantee that was the problem so the evap coil would have to be replaced too... For the low low price of $3400! It was a 2 1/2 ton Bryant air handler less than 5 years old. They said for $6400 they would replace the whole system. I laughed when I saw the blue and white van in front of his house. He came over a couple hours later and asked me if I could look at it. Told him it was the TXV... Changed it the next day with a new drier and cleaned the evap when it was out. Needless to say it wasn't $3400! They are douchbags.

The worst company I know of drives a Yellow and Red truck.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I spent 2 yrs. working for ARS out of Lafayette, let me tell you about scams.......wow

That is why I have been so reluctant to hire on with one of those shops. The big places just seem to be built on scams, the mildest of which would be charging a customer for a service trip when the appt was for a free estimate on equipment. I just can't see myself rolling along with stuff like that, also if they will go out of the way to screw the customer imagine what they will do to employees.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Whew, can't feel too bad about $300 for a capacitor now, been out buying diamonds too, you want a racket? There ya go. Anybody want a black lab? I'm gettin out the metal detector on this one.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I spent 2 yrs. working for ARS out of Lafayette, let me tell you about scams.......wow
    ARS, Airtron, Dial One, or Kaiser... Take your pick. All in the same market... Trying to make payroll from every call they run. Kaiser quoted R-22 at $200 per pound to recharge a heat pump pool heater. Seems a little steep! :dunno:

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    ARS, Airtron, Dial One, or Kaiser... Take your pick. All in the same market... Trying to make payroll from every call they run. Kaiser quoted R-22 at $200 per pound to recharge a heat pump pool heater. Seems a little steep! :dunno:

$200/#, wow, I didn't get over $75/# during that last big run on R22 a couple of years back.

My parents had Mister Quick out several years back. They offered a water heater/furnace/ac inspection with a $75 cleaning. Oddly enough the Tech suggested replacing a 2 year old water heater (still under Manufacturer warranty) and claimed the blower on the furnace was going out.
    My dad found the next day water in his basement, the water line on the water heater was loosened. Then he noticed the air didn't keep the house cooled anymore. When I was in town next I checked it out and the "Hi" speed wire was disconnected... Odd things indeed......

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    UPDATE: Tech came out today and my wife just called me. The compressor in the attached de-humidifier was bad and when it turned on it overloaded the circuit.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    UPDATE: Tech came out today and my wife just called me. The compressor in the attached de-humidifier was bad and when it turned on it overloaded the circuit.
    Nice! That makes a lot of sense. So the outdoor compressor wasn't overloading, it was the inside furnace/air handler. See we were all up the wrong tree on that one. Internet diagnosis = :wallbash:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Nice! That makes a lot of sense. So the outdoor compressor wasn't overloading, it was the inside furnace/air handler. See we were all up the wrong tree on that one. Internet diagnosis = :wallbash:

Yep, glad it's taken care of. I couldn't last another night of my wife complaining about no air.

*as I look over my shoulder*

Top Bottom