• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My AC just celebrated it's 16th birthday, and still working fine.

This is me knocking on wood.

My Furnace was installed by me in 1995 and has worn out 1 A/C condenser...ran another one for 4 years and had a half ton upgrade when the temps went nuts a few summers ago. I am planning to replace it this fall.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I finally gave up with the bubble gum and baling wire on my heat pump when it was 19 years old. The new one puked today, needs a filter.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Those silverfish/earwigs are horrid, they like the warmth of the contactor. Once it engages it smashes them and can cause a short. Hate those bugs! You know how many 2am calls I've been on cause of them.....
    I believe that is precisely what he said happened. :laugh:

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    My Furnace was installed by me in 1995 and has worn out 1 A/C condenser...ran another one for 4 years and had a half ton upgrade when the temps went nuts a few summers ago. I am planning to replace it this fall.
    Guess who was on-call every single one of those 100 degree days! This guy..... :crying: I had 24 runs in a single weekend, had to call for help because there were 40 contracted emergency calls. That was one summer I hated not being Union.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    churchmouse If you have coil dirty enough to blow fuses you have pretty much killed the compressor. [/QUOTE said:
    not if your running so close to the edge of the limit. if your running a 15 amp fuse and your unit is ratted to run 15 amps, a dirty condencer coil could easily take running amps to 18/20 after a 15 min run time. your thermo cut out might not hit till your head is running close to 450/500 depending on brand.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

Wow!! How did your furnace wear out an A/C condenser? Bad filter? I have had the same condenser since the late nineties, but am currently on the second furnace.
    Interesting because i always figured those in the business would only use the best of equipment on their own homes.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    cleaned it out....wasn't that dirty. Capacitor didn't look fked up either. I'm just gonna call a technician, I want to go fishing instead of spending time on this.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A capacitor won't necessarily show visual sign of failure.

But... here we go, my heat pump bit the wax tadpole last night. It's not blowing any fuses, but the fan motor on the outside unit fails to start. It'll hum for a few seconds and give up. If I catch it while it's humming I can tweak the blade and it'll spin right up, so capacitor. Hoping the rest of it is okay.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    A capacitor won't necessarily show visual sign of failure.

But... here we go, my heat pump bit the wax tadpole last night. It's not blowing any fuses, but the fan motor on the outside unit fails to start. It'll hum for a few seconds and give up. If I catch it while it's humming I can tweak the blade and it'll spin right up, so capacitor. Hoping the rest of it is okay.

Yep, that sounds like your fan's cap. As for the caps failing, run caps for a fan don't always show failure, start caps for your compressor most often do. I only replace with Am Rad caps! Most everything residential these days are coming from China or Mexico as OEM caps.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Woot! After a ($300) capacitor replacement we're making cold. The old one was in fact a bit bulged, and he replaced it with a multitap one that supposedly replaces 200 other single/double units. This fascinates me. May see how cheap they are IRL and have one around.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Woot! After a ($300) capacitor replacement we're making cold. The old one was in fact a bit bulged, and he replaced it with a multitap one that supposedly replaces 200 other single/double units. This fascinates me. May see how cheap they are IRL and have one around.

Did they use an Am Rad or a Cap Run? I refuse to use anything not made in the USA because the China and Mexico caps only last about 1 year. Sometimes only a couple weeks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow!! How did your furnace wear out an A/C condenser? Bad filter? I have had the same condenser since the late nineties, but am currently on the second furnace.
    Interesting because i always figured those in the business would only use the best of equipment on their own homes.

Unit was slightly undersized by the previous owner. I have only lived here about 10 years. It ran itself to death basically.

Guy that owned the house had stretched his budget doing a remodel and only had the funds for "X" size A/C equipment. I put it in for him and told him it would be a serious stretch on 90* days and it was. It ran for me a few years and started loosing the valves. I put in a carrier and ran it until I up-graded to a larger unit and yes silly boy, I use the "Good" stuff.
    Furnace has been soldering on and I have decided last winter was its last.

Last edited:

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009

if you don't mind me asking.....what company did you use?....one of the big names I guess, there is no way I could charge $300 for a bad cap in my area

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Holyshi^! A $300 service call and cap? Did they bend you over then kiss you or just bend you over? You can get a cap for $30. And you think these guys are "taking care of you"? :n00b:

Top Bottom