• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    So I got a noticed at my Mother's house that my truck is "abandoned". Its been sitting in her driveway for about 2 years now because the transmission went out as soon as I moved back out here from across the country. It is titled in Tennessee and I lost to title, so I have been procrastinating on getting a duplicate, especially since before not to long ago they didn't do anything online. And found out they do now so I am in the process of getting the title so i can junk the vehicle.

Anyways, since its been tagged as Abandoned, what can I do to prolong it getting towed? It was sitting in her driveway next to her house. Today I got my other truck and pushed it into her backyard in front of her garage. Will moving it reset the abandoned vehicle timeline?

At the very worse, if the Sheriffs Department still want to take the vehicle what are some estimates on the cost to me for them having to tow, store and junk it? If it was free I would be all for them taking it. Or is there a local junkyard in NWI that takes vehicles without titles? I contacted Archies and Pauls Auto yard and I am waiting for responses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If you move it to the inside of the garage it will no longer be considered a junk truck! Put it inside until you get ready to get rid of it!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I junked my old 4-Runner because of a tranny. Got $250 for it. Call your mechanics shop and see if they have someone they deal with. My mechanic had someone they deal with and I got a better than usual price.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wait you can have something marked as abandoned on your property or someone elses even if they allow you to keep it on their property?

Cars, yes. I forget all the rules, but if the plate is expired, its visible from the street, is inoperable or hasn't moved in so long than yes, it can be tagged as an abandoned vehicle.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Yes, they can be tagged and towed. When we got our new town marshall, he spent a day tagging cars that were inoperable. One guy thought that since he put up NO TRESSPASSING signs, that could stop the marshall, HAHA! Wrong. Some cars were people's winter/plow trucks that are just used for pushing snow, but they still got to be moved every now and again, or kept inside. Im completely ok with that concept.

Sure has helped in cleaning up the town, and for that, I thank him!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cars, yes. I forget all the rules, but if the plate is expired, its visible from the street, is inoperable or hasn't moved in so long than yes, it can be tagged as an abandoned vehicle.

Yup...............I had to fight with the city over a race car that was on the trailer but no plates.....race car. I won the fight but only after I got an enclosed trailer and got my lawyer involved.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    If you move it to the inside of the garage it will no longer be considered a junk truck! Put it inside until you get ready to get rid of it!

The garage is full of junk and the truck will not fit in it.

what kind of truck?
    1997 Chevy S-10. The transmission dropped all its fluid one day and its been sitting since. It still runs, but has no battery in it right now. If I can get the title I might actually get under it to see what broke.

I junked my old 4-Runner because of a tranny. Got $250 for it. Call your mechanics shop and see if they have someone they deal with. My mechanic had someone they deal with and I got a better than usual price.
    I don't have a mechanic. I normally do all mechanical work myself.

Just read this in the paper today. It's not much help but that's why they may have targeted your truck.

Sheriff's police may impound abandoned South Haven cars

That's where it is located.

I still have a question. Since I have moved it, does it now make it an operable vehicle by law since it has been moved? Does it give me another 20 days?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With a current plate on the bumper, they cannot do much. Plate it.

As far as boats, I had a 14" fishing boat hung from the attic of a shed for 12 years, never used even one time. When I went to start using it again, I tried to get the registration up to date and was told that I owe back fees for the 12 years it was not used. I don't know what would have happened if it was stored on a trailor behind the shed. I sold it to a family member and he registered it, no back fees were due.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Where I live the city ordnance is the vehicle must be current on license plates and be insured. From what the paper said as long the vehicle can't be seen from the public you should have no problem.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Park it where it can not be seen. If necessary, cover it with a tarp, or get a couple of those wood fence panels from Home Depot, and lean them up around it so it is not visible from a public street or alley and you are good to go.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom