• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I hate to revisit 'the incident' but in the original video he said he went from using the Safariland holster that you push down and forward to release the gun and switched to the Serpa holster trying to do the same close retention drill. In the original vid you see him try to release his 1911 from the Serpa using the same method you'd use for the Safariland...instead of resetting himself and trying again he pushed the gun back down, stabbed the Serpa release with the tip of his finger and yanked the gun out. At some point during all that he clicked the thumb safety off so it was about 3 or 4 things that could have gone wrong that DID go wrong. Take one of those elements out and people would only make fun of him for his hat...and yes well a few other things but not for getting shot or using a particular holster brand.

The bottom line is train to release the Serpa with a flat finger, indexed like you should, or don't use it. I'm still undecided on it. I picked up a cheap one to "play" with, but I think I'll go with a nice leather holster instead when I need to OC.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I started with a Serpa and I think it helped me develop better finger discipline on the draw. You aren't supposed to use the tip of your finger as it's not your ear hole! It is natural for some individuals to poke at it versus using the pad; I have always had a Serpa for whatever model of gun I own; I've since switched completely over to Raven Concealment Phantom holsters for carry and competition but not out of any safety concerns. Train and train again, lots of draw practice with your chosen holster is the best and safest thing you can do. He messed up by switching gear and it all went south in a hurry!

Top Bottom