A small update to the rules for the classifieds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Locking an ad to keep out comments seems a bit excessive. If it happens to you that often then just report the post to mods and they'll remove it. You definitely get a lot of people who will scroll right on by a locked ad.
    It would be ideal if it could be locked "internally" so to speak, so that the poster of the ad could turn off commenting in the ad without it showing locked in the forum. I don't know if this software allows something like that though.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    It would be ideal if it could be locked "internally" so to speak, so that the poster of the ad could turn off commenting in the ad without it showing locked in the forum. I don't know if this software allows something like that though.
    The forum software may or may not have fine enough permission settings to limit posting in a thread to the thread owner. I have used forum software that does. That's a question for the software support team.

I would love to see more prefixes added - SOLD, PENDING, TRADED would be useful IMO.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Man, I missed that whole thing and am clueless to what happened. I've seen this mentioned several times. Any link on it???
    Can't remember who it was, they might be shootered. They put in the WTS: "No, I don't want your fish tank in trade." Kind of became part of INGO lore like the Boner Drone and the State Trooper stole my wallet. Oh yeah, and banning MBills.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The forum software may or may not have fine enough permission settings to limit posting in a thread to the thread owner. I have used forum software that does. That's a question for the software support team.

I would love to see more prefixes added - SOLD, PENDING, TRADED would be useful IMO.
    Well, it does allow the thread owner to modify the thread title, so that kind of info could be added. If it's locked, but not "really locked" maybe they could post "still available" or something in the title. But many probably wouldn't notice that if they saw the little "locked" symbol.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have alerts blocked in my preferences. Life is grand when you go through it fat, dumb, and happy.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Because you’re publicly notifying other interested parties, and the seller, of your intent to purchase. Not a big deal for something that lingers for days and haggling occurs, but for in-demand items I think most appreciate knowing something is “called forlz

A reply to a thread usually generates the same type of notification email as a PM, right?

Its the mods’ sandbox and their rules and one complies or leaves. I sort of understand banning people commenting on the item for sale or ask price, but banning public commitment to purchase is a deviation from PX/marketplace “best practices” of every other internet forum I’m on, firearms-related or otherwise.

I suppose I’m not seeing the problem this rule change is supposed to solve, or how it is additive to the INGO experience. I concede my opinion is mine alone and again, I’m here of my own volition and must follow rules accordingly.
    It's not a problem for me here, as I can't think of a single person here who I wouldn't do business with, even people I've had strong disagreements with.

But on arfnother forum I used to frequent, which I won't name, I had a "Do not do business with" spreadsheet compiled that got so long I stopped doing business there. It was a combination of things, like people telling me "I'll take it" in trade ads when they didn't have the specific trade goods I was looking for. Or people who posted things in non-classified discussions that led me to believe that they were not stable enough to own firearms, let alone do business with. Also, I would read the feedback forums to see who sided with who in disputes, and support for bad actors got them on the list.

With this being a local forum, I feel much more comfortable doing business here, and it's the only place I do business now. Especially since I got thrown out of that other place ;) . Even having said that, a posted "I'll take it" carries no weight with me. I might not sell to you even with that post in my thread. There are conditions to be met with every deal, someone might have PM'ed me before you posted your reply, someone else might be more accomodating to my schedule, or closer, or someone who I have done business with before and know to be a no-BS buyer, or any other of a myriad of reasons.

And that "I'll take it", if the deal doesn't work out, can linger there uneditited and dissuade other potential buyers from contacting me. That's bad practice.

Let's not view classifieds as an offer that only requires an acceptance to create a contract. Let's view it for what it really is- an offer to enter into negotiations, where terms, an offer, and an acceptance can be spelled out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    May I ask, what is "price gouging"?
    We had members buy something at a reasonable price from another member on and turn around and post the exact same item for 3 times (or more) as much.

We are all for free market and when the G19 listed for $850 shows up for sale, if someone what's to pay that, more power to them.

But the flippers were a problem. We will do what we can to keep them at Bay. This rule helps with that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We had members buy something at a reasonable price from another member on and turn around and post the exact same item for 3 times (or more) as much.

We are all for free market and when the G19 listed for $850 shows up for sale, if someone what's to pay that, more power to them.

But the flippers were a problem. We will do what we can to keep them at Bay. This rule helps with that.

I do not understand price controls, but I do agree $8.50 seems high for a Glock 19.

Be that as it may, if folks want to **** away their money, I am not one to stop them.

Top Bottom