• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Why anyone would complain that their neighbors were prepared is beyond me. Must be that whole "Equity" mindset that has become so pervasive in our society today.
    yep. Good reason I'm looking to move. HOAs drive me bonkers. It's like a little mini government where they just try to make rules for the sake of rules

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Choices are awesome. Glad we have choices so you can avoid what you do not like.
    Not all choices are obtainable though. Sometimes we have to suffer through what we do not like because we literally don't have other options.

Most starter homes only exist within an HOA. So there isn't really a choice there.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not all choices are obtainable though. Sometimes we have to suffer through what we do not like because we literally don't have other options.

Most starter homes only exist within an HOA. So there isn't really a choice there.
    I dont think we have any HOA's here in Alexandria.

Edit,
    Maybe? one newer small community behind Pizza Hut and BMV on Rt 9

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I will watch it later. There are no ways an HOA can enforce their rules on anyone not a member of the HOA.
    It’s not that they can, but rather their arrogance makes them believe they can. It’s a mindset and it seems to be found time after time in completely different neighborhoods with a single common denominator. The HOA.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why anyone would complain that their neighbors were prepared is beyond me. Must be that whole "Equity" mindset that has become so pervasive in our society today.
    I do expect the noise issue to be pretty contentious between those that have and the jealous that don’t want to hear generators running all night.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do expect the noise issue to be pretty contentious between those that have and the jealous that don’t want to hear generators running all night.
    Those using the generators have to put up with the sound too though. Of course they have their TVs to help drown out the noise. :)

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Those using the generators have to put up with the sound too though. Of course they have their TVs to help drown out the noise. :)

Earlier this summer, our Generac ran for 2 days straight--we were out of power just long enough to have to reset the clocks and turn the ceiling fans back on--maybe 5 seconds until the autoswitch thingie detected loss of incoming electricity...the rest of the neighborhood was 48-50 hours without power. Yup, it's kinda loud. Good thing we just closed the windows and ran the AC, and yes the TV definitely helped with the sound. Having a nice cool house and plenty of warm water for showers, not to mention power to run the oven/stove, freezers, frig, etc is definitely worth it though.

If the neighbors got their panties in a twist, they were never brave enough to tell me about it. I sincerely doubt they'd have gotten the response they were looking for if they'd tried to discourage me from using the (expensive!!) generator I bought and paid for.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Eh, I can barely hear my open frame generator running while I'm in the house. Small price to pay to have everything running during an outage.

But geez, having to top of the gas every 12 or so hours. The struggle is real.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Eh, I can barely hear my open frame generator running while I'm in the house. Small price to pay to have everything running during an outage.

But geez, having to top of the gas every 12 or so hours. The struggle is real.
    Been there, in 2002 an F4 Tornado ripped through the bottom of so Maryland.
    I have a Miller bobcat welder generator, it was in my shop and it ran about 16 hours a day for 7-8 days until we got power back on.
    I burned more than a 55 gallon drum of fuel.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    a reason to love hoas…

I'm thinking I'd buy a copy of the 3 little pigs and send it to the neighbors who complained...

761dzz.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I ran my generator for four days once during an ice storm caused outage. Neighbors were livid with me because I had my Christmas lights on too. They were beautiful with no other light pollution and a white yard reflecting them.

I also ran cords to my elderly neighbor so he could stay in his house.
    I had a friend do the Christmas lights during the power outage. Too funny!

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Been there, in 2002 an F4 Tornado ripped through the bottom of so Maryland.
    I have a Miller bobcat welder generator, it was in my shop and it ran about 16 hours a day for 7-8 days until we got power back on.
    I burned more than a 55 gallon drum of fuel.
    Those work great, around that same time period I had just bought my first house and had a 2400 head hog barn. Only had a generator big enough to run the well pump and feed augers in the barn. We lost power and my boss at the at the time had just been given a brand new Bobcat welder generator by the seed company he bought from. I ended using it for 5 days I think so we could power the house and hog barn.

Top Bottom