• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just about never see a Colt or Ed Brown for sale but see Springfield,Sig, Kimber, and Para Ordnance 1911s up for sale all the time. Does this mean that Colt and Ed Brown 1911 owners :patriot: like them much better or they just don't know a good 1911? :D Are the other brand buyers just so dumb :xmad: from using the strikers fired guns that they can't stand to own a good firearm?:ar15: :laugh: :): :) ;)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You are the only one I have seen in these parts with neg rep for a very long time. Question: was neg rep brought back just for this thread?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow. I typed in Ed Brown 1911 and Colt 1911 on gunbroker and there were quite a few for sale. I was going to ask if you had access to the internet.......But judging by this post I assume you do....

There is this search engine called "google" (I know it's a funny sounding name) but try going to google.com and type in Colt 1911 or Ed Brown 1911 for sale and I think you will find that there are many guns for sale by these makers. You can also type in any other gun manufacturer and add "for sale" after the weapon and find many of them for sale. Point being...There are many good/bad guns for sale in this world.

I myself have sold guns I loved to get another one that I thought I would love more.

This philosophy is also known as the "If you can't afford the one you want...Trade the one your with." technique.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

"If you can't afford the one you want...Trade the oneyour with." I like this. I can't remember seeing over 2 Ed Brown 1911s forsale in the dozen or so forums classifieds I look at. I know about Google butwill not use as I don't like their gun attitude.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I see a few Colts pass through the classifieds I think, but very few of the higher end guns. I guess there's just less of them out there. Even looking at the number of threads in the manufacturers forums on 1911forums.com, there are less threads in the higher end makers' forums than in the "lower" end forums. Over 20,000 each for Colt, Kimber, and Springfield, and less than 10,000 each for Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    You should have went to the 1500, a dealer there had about 15 or 20 Ed brown, Wilson and Night Hawk 1911's . I have seen plenty of Colts on here and about 2 Ed brown's. IMHO I really like Dan Wesson or older Kimbers.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There are several Cots and Ed Brown's that have been sold here. You are not looking hard enough.

IMHO Colt and Kimber are overpriced for a run of the mill production gun. If it were my moeny, I would order parts, and peice together my own full house custom. That would be far more valuable to me than anything anyone else could sell me.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I paid $675 for my Kimber. Good luck piecing together a full custom build with frontstrap checkering, beavertail, ambies, skeletonized hammer and trigger, etc., for that kind of money.

I'm not saying I haven't added other stuff later, but you couldn't build my gun for what I paid for it. Then again, the new Kimbers are crap and I wouldn't even pay that for one today, but my gun is old.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I paid $675 for my Kimber. Good luck piecing together a full custom build with frontstrap checkering, beavertail, ambies, skeletonized hammer and trigger, etc., for that kind of money.

A Hyundai Accent GT comes from the factory with alloy wheels, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a body-colored spoiler, and fog lights. Good luck getting those features at the Porsche dealership for less than twenty grand! ;)

I kid, I kid! (But I'm also partially serious.)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    A Hyundai Accent GT comes from the factory with alloy wheels, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a body-colored spoiler, and fog lights. Good luck getting those features at the Porsche dealership for less than twenty grand! ;)

I kid, I kid! (But I'm also partially serious.)

Except that's not a valid analogy, because the items are not functionally identical. A full custom gun doesn't do anything my gun(s) don't do.

I don't own any full-custom guns but I do have some pretty expensive 1911s, and I'm starting to think that what makes a gun fun is accessories.

I suspect that my next 1911 will be in the $700 range, and I'll put another $2-700 into it and have exactly what I want for half the price of a custom gun.

If bullseye accuracy and reliability is what you're after, a full custom is probably for you.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Except that's not a valid analogy, because the items are not functionally identical. A full custom gun doesn't do anything my gun(s) don't do.

I don't own any full-custom guns but I do have some pretty expensive 1911s, and I'm starting to think that what makes a gun fun is accessories.

I suspect that my next 1911 will be in the $700 range, and I'll put another $2-700 into it and have exactly what I want for half the price of a custom gun.

If bullseye accuracy and reliability is what you're after, a full custom is probably for you.

You can take a $500 Rock Island and put a $1500 in it and make it shoot every bit as good as a Custom 1911, say a Les Baer. For you that a good value, in the resale world it is still a $500 Rock Island. Put that same $2000 in a Les Baer and take good care of it and that $2000 will appreciate.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t

I used to advise customers that if they were going to junk half the factory parts anyway, they'd be better off just buying a Springer Milspec or a Colt 1991A1 and handing it over to the gunsmiths, and they'd generally come out ahead in the end.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    You can take a $500 Rock Island and put a $1500 in it and make it shoot every bit as good as a Custom 1911, say a Les Baer. For you that a good value, in the resale world it is still a $500 Rock Island. Put that same $2000 in a Les Baer and take good care of it and that $2000 will appreciate.

Excellent point. I don't understand why people buy a lower tiered 1911 and then put many hundreds of dollars in upgrading the MIM to bar stock, plastic MSH to metal and other upgrades and in the end, they still have a lower tier 1911 if they have to sell it.

They would be much better off spending the money on a quality 1911 that runs right out of the box and comes stock with all the quality stuff they end up putting in a lower tier 1911.

Like you said, when it comes to resale time, a lower tier 1911 is a lower tier 1911 regardless of how much money you spend on upgrades, with the one exception being if you have a notable 1911 gunsmith do the upgrades, then that would help resale.

Top Bottom