• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Other than the "Ditto machine", I've used them all!

Add overhead projectors, reel-to-reel tapes (audio, video, or data), CRTs (all but obsolete), answering machines, cassette tape data storage (on my old Commodore computer), and car phones that were actually attached to the car. Now I feel old :(

What's the most recent tech that is already extinct?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The PDA. Like the older Palm Pilots. Now we have smart phones or iPod Touches instead. HD/DVD players, now obsolete and replaced with BlueRay. Mini-Discs, even tho they never really caught on. Vinyl records are just curiosities and audiophile niches, right now.
    Other techs are heading that way, too. CD's will be gone in the near future, they're just too small to be useful anymore and folks are digitising their music and using other means to store data. Shoot most games now come on DVD's, not CD's. Or you just download them from the company.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I didn't think about PDAs, or pagers.

How about paper photographs? I have THOUSANDS of digital pictures, but only a small album of photos. That reminds me, I need to back those up.....

In 1000 years, archeologists may have a HUGE hole in history, as all of this digital stuff disintegrates.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive used all of those, but have limited experience with 8 tracks. Funny thing is, thanks to the Sony store we used to have in town, my parents have a metric crap ton of laser discs, and a working laser disc player, still to this day. We are the only ones Ive ever known to have one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I still use vhs I perfer not to have my dvr tv shows erased by a cable company being pressured by the government.

and i had a teacher in grade 4 that had a huge huge collection of laser discs

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've used 3 out of the 8(VHS, cassette and 3 1/2 in floppy)...I've seen someone use an instant camera and slide projector though.

I've never even heard of a ditto machine.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

HD-DVD.

Can't agree with Palm Pilots, my Palm Pre does everything my Palm Pilot (and Latest Palm 755p did). It is just a more modern incarnation. Didn't really die.

It's not so much the hearing them as it is the smell they produce!:D

I always knew when a teacher was late getting things done, when you paper is still slightly damp and cool from the solvent evaporating. :)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I didn't think about PDAs, or pagers.

Pagers are still big among certain groups. Mostly medical, and us poor poor IT support staff. A text messages has no guarantee of a speedy delivery, while every pager I have seen in the last 5 years had it implicitly stated in the contract that if you were in a covered area, you were getting the page within a few seconds.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Oh the ditto machine ...imagine a room full of third-graders inhaling the fumes of freshly ditto'd worksheets.... almost as real as an 8-track flashback. What was the portable 8-track player that was square, had a T handle that changed the track when you pushed down on it? ....it came in several groovy colors too! Chevy vans with tear-drop windows on the sides... Somebody play Freebird ...or Uncle Ted Wango Tango... :rockwoot:

...and who can forget the Betasaurus Rex!?! :D ...hey, I think American Band Stand is almost on ...right after Soul Train....

Snif 'n The Tears....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The PDA. Like the older Palm Pilots. Now we have smart phones or iPod Touches instead. HD/DVD players, now obsolete and replaced with BlueRay. Mini-Discs, even tho they never really caught on. Vinyl records are just curiosities and audiophile niches, right now.
    Other techs are heading that way, too. CD's will be gone in the near future, they're just too small to be useful anymore and folks are digitising their music and using other means to store data. Shoot most games now come on DVD's, not CD's. Or you just download them from the company.

CD's will be around a lot longer than you think. I won't go into much detail, but they're critical to our national security in a way that I won't expound upon. I don't think something so major will go away anytime soon. They may not be prevalent, but they'll be around for decades to come yet.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I knew one person who ever had a laser disc player, those just weren't that popular at their peak. The others I have either seen or used.

Only time I ever saw one was in 7th grade science class... God, its been over a decade and I can still hum the theme song to "Voyage of the Mimi" ::shudder::

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's not so much the hearing them as it is the smell they produce!:D

Haha, yeah I heard it was very pleasant.

Many years ago I was watching a movie with my buddy(Heaven Help Us, I believe) and during one of the beginning scenes the teacher passes out paper and every kid in the class picks up the paper and smells it at the same time...My buddy's older brother was there and said "ahh, yes! I loved the smell of fresh ditto paper."

Top Bottom