• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! It's helpful to know the direction people have gone.

There are members here with a lifetime of experience.
    The "why" of a person's choice of a certain plan over another would be enlightening.

Getting such insight devoid of the marketing would be helpful.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I went with USCCA Platinum level after an interview I saw by Warrior Poet on YouTube. Although the attorney interviewed was affiliated with CCW Safe I believe, he also freely admitted that USCCA was good to work with on the attorney side of things and never gave him issues even though he was affiliated with a competitor.

[video=youtube;Wilf_R5wlNQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wilf_R5wlNQ[/video]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So which insurance group has actually provided help in these types of incidents? Has anyone had to use these groups?

I wondered if anyone would address personal experience.
    Perhaps they have been advised not to discuss it any specific incident.
    Or, , statistically speaking, the group here is not large enough to have had multiple incidents (thankfully) to have made claims.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm skeptical until we can have actual usage reviews. Not to mention, more competition in the insurance market.

I've invested a fair chunk of change, time and trouble into training along with a like amount into competition to further "insure" that I am squared away to most effectively handle a self defense situation.

I'm pretty sure my budget is not nearly as strong as a lot of folks that pay for this insurance.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Recent discussion here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...826-ccw-insurance-discussion.html#post8119095

To quote myself from that one:

I can't recommend a specific product, but I'd be comfortable laying out some questions/guidelines I'd use in considering one.

Mandatory questions:

1) Do they pay for your defense up front? If it's a reimbursement after the fact, especially if it's tangent on a win, I'd pass.

2) Will they pay for expert witnesses? Do they have an existing association with known and respected experts?

3) Will they assist with both criminal and civil cases? For you alone or you and your immediate family/household?

4) Will they cover defense of others (aka Good Samaritan) or strictly self defense?

5) Do they have their own network of attorneys? If so, are they vetted and do they have experience with self-defense cases? This is a big deal, as someone who's used to defending people who are factually guilty (most trials) may not approach an affirmative defense case properly. In short, they are using to arguing "he didn't do it" instead of "he did it, but it's ok he did) and need to be able to make that second one in a justified shooting case.

6) Are there caps, and if so what are they?

7) Are they reachable 24/7 and do they have a response team that will physically come if needed?

8) Is the issuer/underwriter financially stable (as in, can they actually pay claims) and is there a secondary underwriter should they fail while you're on the hook?

Bonus questions:

*Do they have their own investigators? Will they do things like canvas the neighborhood for witnesses that didn't/wouldn't talk to the police?

*Do they work with any existing plans you have that might cover portions of your liability? FOP membership, home owner's/umbrella policy for accidental shootings, etc.

I think with those questions you can at least make an informed decision on if any given plan is worth it.

Massad Ayoob didn't have a plan he recommended last time I spoke with him, I can ask if there's one he recommends these days though.

*Edit*
    Mas says he works with ACLDN so "any recommendations I make would seem biased". I noted Tom Givens is also on the same advisory board. I think both of those guys' opinions are well worth listening to.

Top Bottom