• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like Golden Sabers. In either 185g +P or standard pressure 230g, they do very well in tests. I also like that I can buy the bullets and reload practice ammo to the same power levels for a cheaper verification that carry guns will work with my carry ammo.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    220 gr Critical Duty. They really snap in my Bond Back-up. Just fine in my full size 1911 and my rifle.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would say it depends somewhat on your 1911, the original 1911 feed ramps were designed for one cartridge, 230 grain ball, and they were very reliable when feeding. Some of this style ramp will not feed some of the new hollow point ammo 100% of the time. I have a Colt Double Eagle (I know not a true 1911), and it will feed any bullet type I have tried. My son has a Ruger P90DC. It will feed most ammo, but not the "flying ashtray" or cast flat wadcutters. I have a friend with a Rock Island, it is almost an exact copy of the old Colt 1911 and is not reliable with some of the Hollow Points, but feeds ball perfectly (and some hollow points).

I personally have my Colt loaded with a mix of Federal Hydra-shock, Black talon, and Speer Gold Dot. I have shot enough of each to be sure the gun is completely reliable and the rounds point of impact is close enough together to do what I want at defense distances.

For my EDC (9MM Kimber Solo) I am using the Hornady Critical Duty. I may purchase a couple boxes of that and try it out in my 45 later. If I have to shoot a BG, I don't see how anyone can fault using the same ammo as Law Enforcement.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    230 gr HST bonded (there are bonded and unbonded flavors) or PDX-1, depending on availability. No real preference for one or the other.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Tons of folks swear by Winchester SXT, Federal Hydra-Shok, Federal HST, Hornady Critical Duty, and Speer Gold Dot.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Winchester ranger 230 if you can find them or hornady xtp 230 standard velocity. The old cci 200 grn. " flying ashtray"was good but my 1911 would never be 100% reliable with that but my ruger p97 ate them with no problems. Hydra shok 230s have also run good for me as well.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Federal HST +P in a full size gun, standard pressure in anything smaller. I have a family member that designs small arms ammo for SOCOM at Crane. According to him that's what the Spec Ops guys went to for missions when they are not constrained by the Hague Accords. It is also what he carries as his personal EDC. If it's good enough for the guys that jump out of helicopters and kill everyone before they hit the ground, then it should work for me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Federal HST +P in a full size gun, standard pressure in anything smaller. I have a family member that designs small arms ammo for SOCOM at Crane. According to him that's what the Spec Ops guys went to for missions when they are not constrained by the Hague Accords. It is also what he carries as his personal EDC. If it's good enough for the guys that jump out of helicopters and kill everyone before they hit the ground, then it should work for me.

I didn't know that, I'll have to try some ..... Thanks .....

Top Bottom