• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Getting ready to fill my ammo inventory back up and am going to order some more defense ammo. I have been using Hornady critical defense in my xds and never had a hiccup with it. Just curious what others feel is the best ammo to get.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    For me its my own hand loads in the 230grn ball. Second choice would be a good 200grn wad cutter if your rig will eat them and you dig the different recoil impulse.

I carry what I shoot and those are the ones for the 45acp.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, I NEVER use reloads, for self defense ..... Mas Ayoob, says it, and I BELIEVE it .....

Right now, I have Fed. Hydra Shok ..... yeah, I know it's old, but so am I .....

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I prefer Winchester Ranger SXT's or Hornady XTP's. I've read too much about the Critical defense loads under-preforming in the real world. I bought a bunch of Cor-Bon Powerballs a few years ago and then shot them up for practice after more data came in on how they were doing.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I prefer Winchester Ranger SXT's or Hornady XTP's. I've read too much about the Critical defense loads under-preforming in the real world. I bought a bunch of Cor-Bon Powerballs a few years ago and then shot them up for practice after more data came in on how they were doing.

where are you finding the ranger sxt's?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Standard pressure Federal HST, its basically just Hydra Shok on steroids. Itw what I carry in all my defensive guns regardless of caliber.

ClFrxhPh.jpg

[video=youtube;iWW2Y-IZpyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE[/video]

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I like Federal HST in both .45 and 9mm. I also like the old High Shok from federal.

Practice with what you carry every so often for function and accuracy that means all the difference.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Just loaded two magazines with Federal .45 165gr hydra shock - low recoil.

I have no idea what the "low recoil" is about. The box has no fps data on it. But I've shot it POA previously.

On a full size 1911, I didn't notice any high or low recoil.

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    I have used Winchester Ranger RA45T for about a decade now but it is near impossible to buy anymore so I will have to change when I run out. From my research I am thinking HST will be the replacement.

Top Bottom