3M Security Film installation . . . before a gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm going to guess you meant was not "SURE" why you would want it.

Wasn't this the same guy that just did Melensdad's place? Was he not made aware of the situation that prompted the replacement of the window/installation of the film? :n00b:

Yes "sure" not "use". Sorry but typing w/ 1 hand is hard when you have a newborn sleeping on chest.

It was the same company but I think it was different installers on-site. Melensdad broke one of the installers at his house. The guy cut is hand and had to be rushed to the emergency room for stitches. So I think I had a different set of installers at my place.

Muddy Fork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Had I known this I think I would have spent the extra cash and done all the 1st floor windows/doors like that to keep anyone from looking it! That flim plus the window shades shut give a nice "you can't see me, but I see you".

That is "Kool!"
    Is there a distance from the window that the glare goes away? Like with my car if you get a few feet away from the window you can see in pretty easy, but I've seen some windows you need to shade the glass with your hand to see in.
    This is a great thread.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oh I see now.
    Here is something else "kool" that I just found out. My big front windows I installed the heat + security film which is the more expensive film than just the security one. It design to help stop heat transfer in addition to the security. It has a small tint to it and my living room during the day is an oven since the sun it full blown on the windows to the point that we have to have the shades close or else bake. Well today we have had the shades open and the room is nice! No heat but lots of sunlight.

So I just went outside to throw away the trash and one thing I always hated about those windows is when they were open you could see right into my house. Well as I walked to the back I noticed that I could NOT see into the house. I saw the reflection of the driveway instead. If I stopped and really stared I could make out some of the inside of the house. The kids got next to the window and I could see some of their faces but had to really concentrate to see them. NICE! :rockwoot:

Had I known this I think I would have spent the extra cash and done all the 1st floor windows/doors like that to keep anyone from looking it! That flim plus the window shades shut give a nice "you can't see me, but I see you".

Just checking in from London and I see that you had a revelation.

Yes, this film does do a modestly good job of keeping the peepers from peeping but it is not foolproof. I've had various films on my windows for years, this stuff is the first security film I've installed.

During daylight conditions the film makes the window reflective from the outside. During the nighttime you can still see the interior of the home with this film installed but it does somewhat reduce the ability to see inside, it does not eliminate it.

Top Bottom