• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I was wanting to have a barrel made for my NEF or have just have a whole rifle made. Could someone or several people point me in the right direction?
    Thank you,
    Chris Kiefner

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    what is the purpose? Who are you going to have make it? seems to me that if you are considering have a whole rifle made, then you shouldnt even be considering putting a barrel on a 99 dollar gun's reciever....

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have heard of them being made with a Winchester 70 action, but didn't know if anyone would or could make a barrel. If I knew that I could get one in a T/C I would go that route. I just want the easiest route to get one of these rifles. I just included my NEF because I already had it and didn't know if anyone would or could make a barrel for my current rifle.
    Thanks,
    Chris Kiefner

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The NEF action is unsuitable for a barrel rechamber/replacement. I get nervous around hot loads in a .270 Handi Rifle, let alone something with a case head .050" larger.

I sell a LOT of Encore barrels in 358 BFG.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    some people have made some great rifles out the NEF action..some pretty large calibers as well.
    google gray beard outdoors and ask those guys..they will be able to point you in the right direction,there are a few guys over there who make bbls for the NEF I think.
    the NEF rifles dont get the credit they deserve.
    if you have the $$$ T/C would be the better choice..but some folks just dont have that kinda cash.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    some people have made some great rifles out the NEF action..some pretty large calibers as well.

Large LOW PRESSURE chamberings, absolutely.

Large HIGH PRESSURE chamberings in a NEF are a recipe for disaster.

There is a reason NEF doesn't chamber the Handi Rifle for anything with "Magnum" after its groove/bore diameter.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I might just have to sell mine before to long. I would like to start a project or have someone start one for me. I would like to have one built before next years deer season. I am not going to get started on it till the start of the year. I got Christmas coming up now but after it is over it is on!
    Chris Kiefner

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Large LOW PRESSURE chamberings, absolutely.

Large HIGH PRESSURE chamberings in a NEF are a recipe for disaster.

There is a reason NEF doesn't chamber the Handi Rifle for anything with "Magnum" after its groove/bore diameter.

oh..I see. makes sense. thanks!

navigator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Interested in 358WSSM

The NEF action is unsuitable for a barrel rechamber/replacement. I get nervous around hot loads in a .270 Handi Rifle, let alone something with a case head .050" larger.

I sell a LOT of Encore barrels in 358 BFG.

I too am interested in putting together a 358 WSSM for deer hunting in Indiana. I have been reading this thread.
    I have an encore. Is there a barrel available in 358 WSSM? Does the same thing apply to the encore as the NEF Handi Rifle?
    I would like to build it on the encore but am also considering a bolt action version.
    If the encore is not an option. What is the major difference in ballistic performance between the 358 BMG & the 358 WSSM?

Gary

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I too am interested in putting together a 358 WSSM for deer hunting in Indiana. I have been reading this thread.
    I have an encore. Is there a barrel available in 358 WSSM? Does the same thing apply to the encore as the NEF Handi Rifle?
    I would like to build it on the encore but am also considering a bolt action version.
    If the encore is not an option. What is the major difference in ballistic performance between the 358 BMG & the 358 WSSM?

Gary

the encore can handle it.

talk to fireball 168. if he doesn't have one on hand he can get one. he can also get dies or brass

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Not to steal away, but just a primer to what others will tell you ... 358WSSM & 358BMG are basically the same thing (might even be identical). Winchester never made anything as large as the 358 in it's WSSM series, so these guys are taking the .25WSSM and blowing it up to a .358 bullet ... slight case trimming required.

The rules are large case head and high pressure apply to all guns. The Encore is just a stouter action.

Thanks, Neal

Is there a barrel available in 358 WSSM? Does the same thing apply to the encore as the NEF Handi Rifle?

Gary

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's quite easy to get 2,600 fps out of the 358 IDC built on a Model 70 WSSM action. That's not pushing it too hard, either...
    I had two 358 IDC's built by Fall Creek Custom Rifles and am quite pleased with them. And if DNR ever changes the rules, I'll just have him thread the 25 WSSM barrel back on the rifle...

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Anybody looking into the .357 Herrett ... I've been wondering about that cartridge since Indiana added the carbine laws. It looks like you can trim all the length from the neck, and have close to the same herrett performance.

I had always written it off, since I don't know as which I'd get much velocity over my Max (don't need it) ... but recently I've been reading about forming Herrett's from 6.8SPC brass, getting a rimless cartridge that would function in a bolt/auto:-)

Midway sells Shilen .358 blanks for $130 ... figure another $150 into finishing the barrel, and I could switch out my Savage SA.

Looks pretty promising to me. Might have a new hunting rifle before fall:-)

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    my 358 idc project is finally coming together. recieved dies from fireball at bfg design. have had my barrel for a couple of months now. had someone going to cerracoat it for me but after 6 weeks of doing nothing to it i went and got it and broke out the powdercoating equipment. powdercoated it matte black. very happy with the way it turned out. first thing i ever coated. now to put the barrel on my savage and do some reloading. 358 idc next to a .308 for comparrison.
    019.jpg

017-5.jpg

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Anybody looking into the .357 Herrett ...

The work is already done, I'm calling it the .357 BFG.

Shortened the Herret/SPC case to 1.625" after forming.

Had the reamer ground for appropriate throat length with the shorter case and tightened up the body and throat diameters where appropriate.

Use standard Herrett dies.

Testing will commence next weekend on a 14 twist .350/.358 bore/groove barrel.

It'll be interesting to see what the cartridge can do in a platform that can handle some pressure (not a Contender).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Shortened the Herret/SPC case to 1.625" after forming.

Had the reamer ground for appropriate throat length with the shorter case and tightened up the body and throat diameters where appropriate.

Use standard Herrett dies.

Testing will commence next weekend on a 14 twist .350/.358 bore/groove barrel.

It'll be interesting to see what the cartridge can do in a platform that can handle some pressure (not a Contender).

keep us posted it will be interesting to see ballistic comparisions to your other cartriges

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I guess I'm missing it ... what work? The Herrett's been around for 30yrs. Nothing needs modified on the case (that's why the cheap dies work), just cutting the neck down to 1.62". The only thing different is using SPC brass, instead of the 30/30.

How much are you charging for a Savage barrel? Right now, I've got cost for a CM Shilen 20" finished ~$270 ... and think I'm close to having a SS Select Shilen 20" finished ~$290. And, that's with a custom reamer. In all honesty, I think a standard Herrett reamer can be used with very good results. I'm working to get an Adams/Bennett barrel <$200!

Thanks for the heads up though ... I hadn't looked at your websight for a while, since you guys were working on the .358WSSM (or whatever you call it).

Curious what barrel lengths you're using ... how the cartridge is feeding in a centerfeed Savage ... and what velocity you're getting? Thanks, Neal

Top Bottom